E11 Stormtrooper Blaster from junk.

SolosHold

Hey guys and girls.

So I happened upon a Sterling Machine gun through a fellow prop enthusiast, and was asked if it was possible to put it back together to make a E-11 trooper blaster.

This thread will serve as the documentary of the process of the build into a E11 from DEMILLED PARTS!

This gun was De-milled with a torch , and as you can see from the Pictures its going to take some elbow grease to get it to a state that resembles its former self to some degree. I plan on putting steel bungs thoughout the whole thing to help keep the parts straight. I will chop off the mag reciever gussett and the trigger gussett and tack them onto a completly solid dummy tube where they would have been before.

I will attempt to clean up and weld some of this mammajamma back together again to make the PROP, which will be completely inert and modded into a replica prop like they used in the movies.

* NOTE* Please check your local laws, and do not emulate what I am doing in this thread unless you do that first.

Wish me luck. SterlingpartsSet2.JPGSterlingpartsSet6.JPGSterlingpartsSet5.JPGSterlingpartsSet4.JPGSterlingpartsSet3.JPGSterlingpartsSet11.JPGSterlingpartsSet10.JPGSterlingpartsSet9.JPGSterlingpartsSet8.JPGSterlingpartsSet7.JPGSterlingpartsSet6.JPGSyerlingPartsSetA7.jpg

Last edited:
Step one: Figure out what goes where, and establish a order of operations.

I will definitely be making some fixtures to hold the parts together, and as you can probably assume, there are some pretty nasty goobers on the inside of the cuts. The idea is to retain as much of the original patina possible throughout the process, and get the parts as straight and square as possible while filling the voids left from the removal of materials, and I must mention that the parts will not be able to move since they are completely destroyed and void of any of the parts that make it fire, or able to be fired at all.
. 12079099_1645658009056521_8109129416580245904_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm always sad seeing a deactivation being done so badly, but then build threads like these bring back the smile on my face. Good job so far, will be following.

Is it legal in your state to reweld a deaced receivertube of a MG?

Over the years i´ve read a couple of times from US citizens that it strongly depends on your states law - and under the line a display toy is not worth to be arested.

You can buy a un = cut into 30 pieces with a torch one here that has the firing mech removed and the barrel welded shut like this one.

This has no firing mech/PIN , no barrel, bolt and other assembly like NO GAS TUBEs, and they are welded shut/destroyed and could never work again. The receiver will not have any guts in it and will be full of goobers and chopped up more to put in solid pieces to get the heat shield to line up.
This is a aesthetic build only.

I have seen many other people use parts from the same source to make their e11's, what you are describing is intent to break the law.
The fact this has does not meet the criteria you failed to mention where I am from means this is not only just a pile of parts, but could never be more than scrap metal art. Moreover fabricating from scratch FAUX pieces that do not or could never function to make the prop replica, its gonna be even more destroyed by the time it becomes a E11.

Demilled, INERT, Will not and can not be made to fire or be fired.

I guess the thread should be called chopped up metal parts into a Ell static prop, cuz that is what it is.

111.jpg

222.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done! It's hard to tell from the photos where the repair was made. You did a great job of hiding the repair.

I want to advise you to be VERY careful here. Yes, you can "rebuild" the receiver (I have a parts kits Sterling E-11 that I rebuilt), but if you rebuild it in such a way that it can accept the full auto parts, then congratulations, you have created an illegal machine gun in the eyes of the ATF. I HIGHLY advise that ensure that the receiver cannot be made to function with full auto parts. Another option is to weld in a solid barrel trunnion so that a barrel cannot be mounted. Again, just be CAREFUL. The ATF consider ONE PART to be the "gun" and in the case of the Sterling, it's the receiver tube.

I am fully aware of the legalities. I might be crazy, but not gonna be bubbas girlfriend for a pile of old metal. Like I said in prior statements, I will be putting in dummy parts in the lower half. This thing is a basket case, and will be in more pieces before its over than the demilled version it started out as. I just have't gotten that far yet, instead of fabbing a whole new heatshield I wanted to keep the front the best I could to at least keep some of the appearance of the original. Some solid steel plugs/ barstock will have to be used for the main bulk of the receiver, friends have sent me pics of the E11's they did, and in every case there was no option to save the front so they had to section in all new parts throughout and transfer the hole pattern with a template. Luckily this one ( was pretty bad, but somewhat salvageable there at least).

I wanted to have a reference point before I chopped up the rest to DUMMIFY it( solid lower half) . I appreciate your concern, there seemed to be no reason not to use the heatshield of the front if it were possible to not have to fabricate the front if I could get it the best I could to appear to be its former self ( the swiss cheese section)

the front section in this pic we were luckily able to avoid. ( courtesy of Sloth)
assemblyrod.jpg

Thinking of saving on some weight, we may be able to use a couple short sections of solid turned bar throughout the chunks of remaining sections of the destroyed parts. Taking into account datum points where features of the parts used to be in relationship to each other, there is probably well over an inch of material completely removed by the Torch cuts in 4 horizontal places. its a mess, it just needs to look as close as possilble before the mods continue.

Here is a link to some cheap Tube and solid bar stock. this is how I think I will save some weight, more sections to make the parts from, but less weight if tubes are mated with shorter bungs throughout.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-rods/=zlszpb

Strongbow, would you be kind enough to post some pics of your build, or link us. thanks

happy halloween.

assemblyrod.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple quick shots. These pics use 1/8 thick aluminum for the scope rail, which worked, but looks too thick. I have since replaced that with a 1/16th inch steel rail. Looks much kor screen accurate.

E-11-2_zpsyrtdmjmv.jpg

E-11-3_zpsuexcyt4r.jpg

Just need the Hengstler counter looks like?

Don;t have the cylinders OR the Henglster counter on this one. A variant like this was used in ANH, but it's better representative of an ESB E-11. I'm debating about adding teh counter and cylinders... those are cool, but I kinda like the clean look of this variant. If I DO add the counter and cylinders, I'll probably switch to an M38 scope. This is a real M32 on there now.

Wonderful work you are doing salvaging that sterling. I saw this gun on the bay for a while and wanted to buy it, but I knew that I didn't have tools or skills to fix it. Keep up the good work.

Here is one of the aesthetic remake, totally non functional. when its been fully converted into a E-11 we ill post more images. thanks

12319629_10156219217405332_935998724_n.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back