1/42 MPC X-Wing cockpit - lighting it up?

Raven Morpheus

Hello

New to the RPF forums, kind of new to the RPF in general although I've read a few threads I came across via Google (mostly relating the blue colour for a TIE Fighter), but I heard about the RPF from watching Tested.com videos on Youtube where Adam Savage mentions you guys (think he has mentioned you guys once or twice in Mythbusters also), he speaks very highly of the RPF community.

Anyhow, I recently bought a 1/42 MPC X-Wing, the flight display version, and I'd like to light the cockpit.

I have a lighting kit with some fibre optic strands to put into the cockpit however I have no idea where in the cockpit itself to drill holes for the fibre optic to shine light through or if I should be using some kind of clear parts painted with transparent colours to "cap" the fibre optic strands to represent buttons/dials/screens etc?

I'd be very grateful if some of the more experienced/knowledgeable members here could point me in the right direction on this.

Thanks in advance.

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Hello

New to the RPF forums, kind of new to the RPF in general although I've read a few threads I came across via Google (mostly relating the blue colour for a TIE Fighter), but I heard about the RPF from watching Tested.com videos on Youtube where Adam Savage mentions you guys (think he has mentioned you guys once or twice in Mythbusters also), he speaks very highly of the RPF community.

Anyhow, I recently bought a 1/42 MPC X-Wing, the flight display version, and I'd like to light the cockpit.

I have a lighting kit with some fibre optic strands to put into the cockpit however I have no idea where in the cockpit itself to drill holes for the fibre optic to shine light through or if I should be using some kind of clear parts painted with transparent colours to "cap" the fibre optic strands to represent buttons/dials/screens etc?

I'd be very grateful if some of the more experienced/knowledgeable members here could point me in the right direction on this.

Thanks in advance.

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.
Welcome on board!
I made the same thing and my opinion is that if you're gonna build the kit out of the box then it doesn't matter all that much because the cockpit is nowhere near being screen accurate. What I did is simply drilling some holes where I thought it would look nice and relatively close to the original, detailed with some random plastic parts and put some fibreoptic through the holes. Then I attached them, used a white and yellow LED. Make sure you only cut the fibreoptic back when you're done painting. Here's how mine looks, the comments are Hungarian but the photos speak for themselves:
http://makettinfo.hu/forum/image.php?img_url=upload/200907/x-wing_box_art_2.jpg#image_119605

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back