Any good casting tutorials? Want to cast off my real S&W Indy Jones revolver

Trebor

My S&W Hand Ejector 2 is headed off to the gunsmith for the barrel cut to finish the conversion to Indy's gun from Raiders.

I've got a book on moldmaking and casting on order. I haven't done anything like this since HS, which was a loong time ago. I plan to cast either a resin or rubber prop for my own use for cons, etc., since I don't want to wear the real gun. I may also offer some, if they turn out OK, at least until the mold wears out.

I realize I'm new as I've lurked for years but only got around to registering recently.

Any good tutorial threads? I'm especially in need of into on how to cast from a metal gun without damaging the finish.

Thanks. I'm a little concerned about my lack of a vacum chamber. I'll do some more research and see if what I want to do is even feasible with what I have to work with.

A two piece block mold would definitely be the easiest way to go about it. A vacuum chamber isn't necessary unless you're planning to cast them under pressure. If you're just going to slush cast them, a high pour will be more than enough.

I'd recommend getting your gunsmith to decomission some bullets for you to place into the chamber to plug one end, and then use some clay to plug the other. A wooden dowel can be used to plug the barrel and make a pour spout.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back