Do you find yourself saying "Do I really NEED this prop/toy/replica?"

Betamin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was at Target the other day with a good friend that knows I'm a Star Wars fan, and I was looking at the Falcon drone. I put it back down and she grinned and said "So you're not looking to spend $110 on that right now?" I said "I have bills and food to pay for."

I wanted to buy it, but my 50 year old mind though "Yeah, it would be fun for a bit, but it would end up on a shelf." Instead, I spent that money (plus more) on a new cell phone. I guess I'm finally an adult. To a degree. :lol

We will never grow up completely , men and our toys are how it is !!! ;)

Too true, my friend. Even after that narrow purchase escape, I'm still thinking about ordering the Diamond Select ST3 phaser to go with my other phasers. :facepalm It's a sickness!!

To me, it's not a matter of "Do I really need this?" so much as "When can I purchase this so it won't affect my ability to pay my bills?"

You have to splurge on yourself every once in a while to remind yourself that you are a human being, not a mindless automaton punching a clock.

To me, it's not a matter of "Do I really need this?" so much as "When can I purchase this so it won't affect my ability to pay my bills?"

You have to splurge on yourself every once in a while to remind yourself that you are a human being, not a mindless automaton punching a clock.

That's an excellent response. You have passed the Voight-Kampff test. :lol That's how I feel. I hem and haw over purchases until my friends are on the edge of yelling "BUY IT! BUY IT NOW!" I have no credit card debt, but I don't have a fantastic work wage (thank you, tight wad bosses) so I'm careful about what I buy. It has to be "special" or needed to me as a purchase. I just sold a few props/toys I had to finance other things, (and thank you to those that purchased, I appreciate it!) but I have some that I'd have to be starving to sell.

Last edited:
All the time and even more now ever since I joined this site.

:lol Don't feel bad, I've been this way for a while. WAY too many good prop ideas/sales that make me move the mouse toward the Paypal site...... I have prop kit purchases in the closet that have never been built that I bought years ago, that I think "I should sell it" followed by the "No, I'll build it..... some day." thought.

I look at it this way, different from others I suppose.....go too work , do what everyone in this world tells me to do , and when that time is up , well its payback time for all the rewards for the BS , I have to tolerate from everyday life....so this is my cookie , for the day !!!.... :lol :D ;) .....Lifes too short to deny yourself the treats every now and then !!!

Be yourself,pay your bills,obey the law...and aside from all that: retain the inner child.

Last edited:
One day I found myself thinking. "If I built all of these models(over 300 kits) I would have no room to display them." I live in a big house(3400 SF).
I then looked at my display shelves, there is so many things(sci-fi stuff) on just one shelf. Nothing stands out, it looks like an overstuffed shelf. The number of shelves seems endless, so I packed it all up as well(including the shelves).

It was getting out of hand, and this came along at a time where my experiences in the garage kit hobby were taking all the fun out of it.
But something else took me by surprise.

Star Trek, Star Wars, and most old and current sci-fi offerings. Were not doing anything for me, I was bored with it all.
I was walking around the last PhoenixComicCon(2015), I didn't buy anything except for a t-shirt. I used to not be able to get out of a con without spending at least $200.
It wasn't that I couldn't buy stuff, nothing appealed to me.

It's really a strange feeling.

But the kid in me isn't gone, he has been collecting old (full size)arcade games.

I have had the urge to downsize for years now. And I did not have the urge to buy things for years. At least not the way it was in the heydays of collecting and personal life. Interests shift. But the urge to make things is there, alas time, space and other resources are slim, so making won't happen for quite some time. But I am working on that.

The answer is yes.

In the past 5 years, I've sold my two vintage Mustang project cars, 75% of my vintage Kenner SW collection and 99% of my modern/Kenner/Hasbro SW collection.

Just yesterday, I was in Target looking at the Rubies Fett & Ren helmets and thinking "Do I need another prop project?" My only current hobby is building custom Lightsabers and the occasional custom Blaster now.

I'm trying to be content with watching my fellow RPF members modify them, instead.

My Mom and my middle brother asked me what the Solo ROTJ blaster cost me in parts, and I told them the whole blaster was pushing $500 before I spent time painting and weathering it all. The look on their faces was priceless. I had no problem with the cost, because I spent some quality time DOING all the work on it. I doubt I'll ever sell it, as I'm proud of the work and I like the blaster too much. It's a "prop" thing, I guess.

I made a list of all of the unfinished/not started props and model kits taped over my computer. Every time I see something new and shiny I remind myself of what I need to finish. It has brought a perspective to my hobby life.

When you think of all of our ancestors in the millennia before us who did nothing in life but struggle to just survive; to get enough food, to keep a roof over their heads, and provide the same for their families, it can really put the whole thing in perspective.

The fact that we are now able to focus our attentions and energies into something other than just that: on intellectual pursuits, on art, on culture, etc. is what finally has brought us to a higher level of humanity. This is what sets us above the drudgeries of the past, and what our ancestors struggled so hard to achieve. This is what they worked for in the hopes their children could live a better life. And WE’RE HERE! We’re the generations that can finally benefit from their toils and live better lives for it. We honor them all by doing so. I think we should appreciate that as much as possible by investing in the arts and encouraging creativity in ourselves and our children.

I think EVERYONE should have a passion for a hobby! It should be a requirement for a well-rounded, healthy person. It’s also therapeutic and one of the best prescriptions for mental health. There is no better feeling of contentment than ‘being in the zone’ when working on a beloved project. When you are focused on creating something, time has no meaning.

It’s not about just collecting a bunch of stuff, but rather in building something that has some meaning for you or that is evocative. It’s the journey of creating, not the thing itself that is the most real.

Anyway, you don’t need a lot of money to be creative or enthusiastic about something. The possibilities are endless if the will is there. Having less can actually force you to be MORE creative.

If you’ve accumulated too much stuff, like others have said, sell it, give it away or pack it up. But don’t fold up your workbench!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back