Reveal "The Force Awakens" models already in stores!

Furagu

Yesterday I picked up 2 of the 4 new light and sound kits from Revell from The Force Awakens! I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to sell them yet, I've looked everywhere on the web for a release data but none specify these September dates. The Revell website doesn't mention anything either.
I bought them in a store somewhere in Germany. I won't say which one IMG_8127.jpgIMG_8126.jpg, I don't want get anybody in trouble.
They offered All four new light and sound kits, I picked up the new Tie and the resistance X-wing. The other ones I'll buy next week.

The light and sound parts are nice, but gimmicky (of course)

The Falcon is quite crude in detail, I was not impressed.

Scales mentioned on the box are:
Tie 1:51. The Tie is a bit bigger than my old AMT TIE's are.
X-wing 1:78, which is totally off, I'd have to measure but the X-wing might be around 1:50. It's a good 2 inches longer than my Fine Molds 1:72 X-Wing.

The x-wing looks pretty good, except for the laser guns. The recoil plate is horizontal, and the tubes are too think.

I have to mention these are meant to play with, so the bigger scale models might be more accurate.

IMG_8126.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Reveal "The Force Awakens" models already in stores!

Thanks for the pics! Can't wait to see them finished!

You mentioned that there were 4 new models. What is the fourth?

- - - Updated - - -

That x-wing has a lot of potential

I haven't seen an Interceptor. The fourth is a Poe Dameron version of the new X-Wing, different colors than the standard one.(yellow and red if I remember correctly, I couldn't take photographs). From the images I have seen so far of the x-wing, these colors were new to me. Then again, I tried to fight to watch too much information before I've actually seen the film and enjoy it then. I might be losing that battle...

These are not called easy kit, the box said Level 1 build and play model kit. The Easy kit models are a different line with a different price tag. I bought mine for €19,99.

Last edited:
A little bit more information: the Tie fighter is a 2 seater, pilot and gunner are back to back. The pilot's seat is pre-painted, the gunner's is not. Since this kit has no bottom, rear facing guns I assume Revell made it to look like a single seat. Perhaps the more elaborate model that is coming is basically the same, but made into the 2 seater with rear facing guns. The bottom of the cockpit has little holes in them for the speaker, maybe thats why Revell omitted the guns. The details are a quite flat, if I compare the solar panels with trailer stills, a lot of height is lacking. In all nice as a starter, but I hope there will be much more accurate versions coming (Bandai?).

Last edited:
Haven't seen an Interceptor. The fourth is a Poe Dameron version of the new X-Wing, different colors than the standard one.(yellow and red if I remember correctly, I couldn't take photographs). From the images I have seen so far of the x-wing, these colors were new to me. Then again, I tried to fight to watch too much information before I've actually seen the film and enjoy it then. I might be losing that battle...

These are not called easy kit, the box said Level 1 build and play model kit.

....Yep....sorry you're right

Heres a link to the Wonderland site:

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/models/plastic-models/revell/star-wars-kits/?page=2

revell-star-wars-episode-7-millenium-falcon-build-

revell-star-wars-episode-7-poes-x-wing-build-play

revell-star-wars-episode-7-resistance-x-wing-build

revell-star-wars-episode-7-first-order-tie-build-p

J

Last edited:
There will be three different kind of models from Revell:

1. Easy-to-build ones with light and sound (as presented here, obviously aimed at children)
2. Easy-kits (pre-painted snap together ones like the ones we already know from the Revell Clone Wars and the OTC kits)
3. Models for the advanced modeler with a higher price tag (obviously traditional glue and paint kits in a larger scale)

How do the electronics look and sound? Is there a way to see a lil' YT video, please?

3. Models for the advanced modeler with a higher price tag (obviously traditional glue and paint kits in a larger scale)

Do you have any info on those? For Force Awakens, I've only seen the Build and Play kits, and the Easy kits. No mention of models for advanced modelers.

Thanks for the pictures! Could you provide some close up shots of the details?
The kit does not look too shabby... Still I hope the other kit version will be bigger and have finer details. In the photos that showed up on facebook, the raised frames around the "integrated ladder" openings in the fuselage sides looked overpronounced, and the openings themselves seem to be almost flush with the fuselage, while in the screenshots of JJ standing next to the X-Wing the openings look quite deep. Should be an easy fix though. Unless the openings should close during flight.
What I cannot tell from your photo or the facebook photos, does the kit have the details in the wing leading edge that the full size model has in the JJ screenshots mentioned above?
The canopy looks a bit high in the fb photos, but I could be wrong.

A decent paint job should make this kit look quite good. :)

Last edited:
Heres a link to the Revell Light & Sound thread started last week:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245511

...as far as the Falcon goes there'll be 4 Falcons released by Revell this year

1. OT Master Series (The re-issued FineMolds Kit),....no price yet,.....although rumours say £200.....around November

2. Ep 7 Easy Kit....(hopefully not a re-issueof the existing Easy Kit with a new rectangular dish) for £60

3. EP7 Build & Play with lights & sounds & a 32" with a flattened hull for £17

4. EP7 Pocket size kit @ £5.99

J

Here are some photographs of the X-wing parts. At first glance they look okay, but compared to trailer stills and photographs they lack a lot of detail. Easy to build for kids. The overall shapes seem to be correct though, but don't expect anything close to the Fine Molds or Bandai kits.

IMG_8130.jpgIMG_8131.jpgIMG_8132.jpg

I'm not sure if I can post a video, I'll see what I can do. There are 3 sounds per kit, the Tie fighter sounds are the familiar ones. The X-wing sounds seem new to me. The X-wing has no light.

Last edited:
Thanks! :) Yes, definately needs quite some work to bring it to "model standards" but doable. The cockpit detail looks pretty good. The wing leading edges seem to be the weak point. I´ll keep my hopes up for the larger model to be better.

A little bit more information: the Tie fighter is a 2 seater, pilot and gunner are back to back. The pilot's seat is pre-painted, the gunner's is not. Since this kit has no bottom, rear facing guns I assume Revell made it to look like a single seat. Perhaps the more elaborate model that is coming is basically the same, but made into the 2 seater with rear facing guns. The bottom of the cockpit has little holes in them for the speaker, maybe thats why Revell omitted the guns. The details are a quite flat, if I compare the solar panels with trailer stills, a lot of height is lacking. In all nice as a starter, but I hope there will be much more accurate versions coming (Bandai?).

So is the "Special forces" TIE with the gunner a larger TIE? I don't think the regular cockpit would fit two pilots. It doesn't make sense...

Officer: "Ok First Order planning meeting. First starfighters. How should we upgrade our TIE Fighters?"
Engineer 1: "Well sir how about repainting the solar panels white?"
Officer: "Yes, yes, I like it. Keep going."
Engineer 2: "Well how about a version with shields? It works well for the Rebels."
Officer: "That's a horrible suggestion Philips! You're fired."
Engineer 3: "Sir, how about adding a gunner?"
Officer: "Hmm, that might work... Of course we have no reason to do this, but I'll okay it."

So is the "Special forces" TIE with the gunner a larger TIE? I don't think the regular cockpit would fit two pilots. It doesn't make sense...

The model seems to represent the TIE that two of the characters use in an escape attempt. I guess JJ thought it would be strange if one of them sat on the other's lap. I believe this TIE also has a larger rear window so the rear-facing gunner can see what they're shooting at.

The backside of the cockpit of the kit sort of has a horizontal window, but nothing one can see through.
I recon with the Tie it will not be really hard to get it to look much closer to the on-screen Tie, save for the detail on the spokes of the Tie fighters, those are quite rudimentary. I think these 2 seater Tie fighters are supposed to be bigger than the original ones, the cockpits are much roomier. So they are kinda in scale with the AMT Tie fighters, which I put in the first photograph for comparison.

The fit on the wings of the x-wing is very good, nice and flush with a bit of grip.

Last edited:

While there is only one seat in a regular TIE fighter, you can cram several people in there. The Rebels TV version of the TIE fighter is meant to be the classic fighter from the movies, There have been a few times where they had three other people squished in there. For one pilot it seems pretty roomy.

Now I know the cockpit set from the movies probably wouldn't fit more than one guy, but the Rebels show is considered official in every way by the current "powers that be" so it wouldn't surprise me for the new stuff to embrace the roomy TIE...

--Alex

While there is only one seat in a regular TIE fighter, you can cram several people in there. The Rebels TV version of the TIE fighter is meant to be the classic fighter from the movies, There have been a few times where they had three other people squished in there. For one pilot it seems pretty roomy.

Now I know the cockpit set from the movies probably wouldn't fit more than one guy, but the Rebels show is considered official in every way by the current "powers that be" so it wouldn't surprise me for the new stuff to embrace the roomy TIE...

--Alex

The Cartoon TIE is official,....but is slightly different to the Movie TIE,......the ball is smaller compared to the wings

....so does that mean that the Cartoon wings are smaller,.....meaning the cockpit is the same as the movies

....or....the wings are the same ,...meaning the cockpit is more cramped in the movies

J

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back