Kylo Ren Hasbro Force FX Lightsaber

I like the size of those side blades better than the FX< which seemed much too long.
I think the fx cross blades are fine length-wise. They just aren't as tapered as they look in he movie(for obvious reasons.) any shorter and people would complain that they were too short.

If you are buying them then I would check out Walmart... I got the FX black series replica from there Kylo was 180 and Vader, Yoda were 150

I think the fx cross blades are fine length-wise. They just aren't as tapered as they look in he movie(for obvious reasons.) any shorter and people would complain that they were too short.

Actually the side blades don't really seem to taper in either of the two teaser trailers. I'm seeing the "flame flickering effect" at the end of each side blade, which of course can be pointy looking at times but that's only at the ends of the blades. Otherwise, they look pretty straight to me.

Actually the side blades don't really seem to taper in either of the two teaser trailers. I'm seeing the "flame flickering effect" at the end of each side blade, which of course can be pointy looking at times but that's only at the ends of the blades. Otherwise, they look pretty straight to me.

That's what I'm talking about. The taper is clearly meant to mimic the pointed blades.

Cut some vents to better distribute the sound. The recessed area naturally amplifies the speaker. It's a little louder now.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

So to summarize:

Force FX:
Pros - metal, full size
Cons - needs a re-paint, too fat, too quiet

Disney Exclusive:
Pros - flicker, flash-on-clash, vibrate(?)
Cons - plastic, too small

Ultimate FX:
Pros - ?
Cons - See Disney Above

Does that sum it up?

So to summarize:

Force FX:
Pros - metal, full size

Disney Exclusive:

Ultimate FX:
Pros - ?
Cons - See Disney Above

Does that sum it up?

So the UFX is just the same size as the Disney one?

So to summarize:

Force FX:
Pros - metal, full size

Disney Exclusive:

Ultimate FX:
Pros - ?
Cons - See Disney Above

Does that sum it up?

I have both the Hasbro Force FX version and the Disney Store version of the Kylo Ren lightsaber Not including the blades, the Disney Store version is the exact same length as the Force FX version (11" long). The width across the side blade emitters is also approximately the same as well which is around 5-1/4" to 5-5/16". The main hilt body of the Disney version is thinner than the Force FX version for both the top half and middle/bottom and IMHO, is much more comfortable to hold. Also, yes. The Disney Store version does indeed vibrate form the use of a vibration motor in the hilt when you apply enough force on the main blade (any direction). When doing this, it also flickers the lights in all three blades and plays a looping "blade lock-up" sound.

Last edited:
I'm chiming in again. I know I'm beating a dead horse but hear me out.

The way the Kylo Ren FX is constructed I'm surprised the hilt isn't any fatter then it is. I'd rather have this then a larger top section to make the bottom appear thinner.

It carries the standard AA battery pack. That's what keeping the bottom section from being thinner. You have to realize the hilt has to be built around it and not the other way around. AA are a standard type of battery so it makes sense to use them for a mass market.

Then on top of that you have to account for the thickness of metal. This saber has a steel tube holding together the 3 sections of the hilt. The hilt is die cast metal. You think Hasbro is going to machine every single one of them, especially with all those corners and curves? No, and this is where the inner tube comes into play. It adds strength the die cast metal doesn't have and makes the saber heavy. I like my sabers to be heavy.

The LED brightness is fantastic for a FX. The sound board is amazing. The new guts are an improvement. The black series sabers offer swing sound/swing speed coordination. I don't think the Disney and UFX has this feature. After seeing the saber I don't think Hasbro could have done a better job. I give them an A+. I feel it's worth the $200

People need to quit whining so they can produce a better saber for the masses.

Last edited:
I'm chiming in again. I know I'm beating a dead horse but hear me out.

The way the Kylo Ren FX is constructed I'm surprised the hilt isn't any fatter then it is. I'd rather have this then a larger top section to make the bottom appear thinner.

It carries the standard AA battery pack. That's what keeping the bottom section from being thinner. You have to realize the hilt has to be built around it and not the other way around. AA are a standard type of battery so it makes sense to use them for a mass market.

Then on top of that you have to account for the thickness of metal. This saber has a steel tube holding together the 3 sections of the hilt. The hilt is die cast metal. You think Hasbro is going to machine every single one of them, especially with all those corners and curves? No, and this is where the inner tube comes into play. It adds strength the die cast metal doesn't have and makes the saber heavy. I like my sabers to be heavy.

The LED brightness is fantastic for a FX. The sound board is amazing. The new guts are an improvement. The black series sabers offer swing sound/swing speed coordination. I don't think the Disney and UFX has this feature. After seeing the saber I don't think Hasbro could have done a better job. I give them an A+. I feel it's worth the $200

People need to quit whining so they can produce a better saber for the masses.

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, preferences and opinions and the right to express them. That said, I'll keep expressing mine when the situation warrants. If that's whining to you, I'm completely fine with that, lol. I'm also completely fine with anyone posting that they like the Kylo Ren Force FX lightsaber just the way it is.

I am a sabersmith (though mostly retired now) and know how a saber should be built, at least when it comes to structural strength and wielding functionality/practicality. For example, the large control/activation boxes on the OT lightsabers are EXTREMELY impractical and should not be there. I understand why they are there but still, they should not have to be there... even though in some cases they have to be there to hold that darn thing together... but I digress. I'm quite sure the majority of sabersmiths (as well as the majority of professional sword fighting practitioners) would agree with my stance on the Kylo Ren Force FX lightsaber. I have played the devil's advocate on why the lightsaber is built the way it is by touching on some of the same points that you just did. It all boils down to just one word though... profit. However just because Hasbro may have had to make them that way to make money off of them does not mean I have to like it or keep quiet about said dislike.

Last edited:
Hasbro didn't HAVE to make the 'Black Series' sabers in any particular way.

They are the only kids on the block and they're cashing in on it.

These 'new' FX sabers are all a giant step BACKWARD and they are perfectly fine with that.

Look at the hype they're getting with them - from Force Friday and on eBay.

They're going to announce more accurate, removable blade versions after the movie finally comes out.

Because they can.

It is disappointing the dont have removable blades. But I feel it's a step forward. The new guts and sound boards are amazing. Imo.

It is disappointing the dont have removable blades. But I feel it's a step forward. The new guts and sound boards are amazing. Imo.
I agree. The improved accelerometer and responsive swings make them feel more engaging. This is for the Kyle Ren though. I will be waiting for a removable blade Finn lightsaber as the graflex has always been my favorite design.

Oh wow, thanks for the comparision shots! I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume the UFX and the Disney version are the same size... not sure I see why it's that much more $$.

Uh, this is only available in store isn't it... come on, we're in 2015.

Aamazon.com has stock available on the Force FX Black Series for $194.39, for those who are still looking (it still says in stock...)

LINK

Last edited:
Yeah. The ultimate fx has the same type of blades as the force fx but weak LEDs that show the spacing. It has the worst of the three hilts. Disney one feels a lot more like a toy but has the better hilt and interesting detail on the blades. I took the ultimate version back to the store. I like the force fx a lot despite things that could be better. Disney one is fun to have but I would probably take it back too if it were more than $30.

I just took a little goo gone on a paper towel and it wiped off pretty easily. I think it's funny how much debate this saber is bringing about, but I love the darn thing so what do I know? BTW as for detachable blades its a pretty easy upgrade to achieve via the tutorial back earlier in this thread.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back