Darth Vader ROTJ Build - Studio 49

That's a great test-fitting ... I keep laughing over your big smirk in that balaclava ... although you may find that when trooping with that balaclava on is probably going to be bloody hot ... so if the back of your neck is not visible from underneath your ROTJ dome than you may not need it all :) So what was the total time from order to delivery from custom props would you say?

Chaim

So I have one question, how long should the grips be for ROTJ Vader?
So the Parks ones were too short so I got the Wanna Wanga grips, but I feel that at 5 inches they're way too long because then the clamp is way too high (Ruler for comparison)
I was under the impression that the grips were 4.8-ish inches, is that correct?
(Also I take it the grips start after the first ring on the pommel so to speak at the ridges)
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t391/Studio_49/Darth Vader/Lightsaber/WIP/9G_zpszpyhv5qf.jpg

​Oh and I was finally able to get my hand on Clone Wars Seasons 1-5!
I sense a marathon in the future... http://forum.501stsithlords.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums...s/Photo 19-01-2016 5 14 25 PM_zps6l9s2ndg.jpg

I don't know if you were still trying to figure out the length of the t-tracks, but Roy has some great blueprints in his goodies section on the website with lengths and dimensions on them...

http://wannawanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/blueprint-DV-ESB.jpg

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
The saber is coming along great. Did you wind up shaving the wires down a bit? On mine, the red one is too thick. I was thinking of both shaving & glueing it.
Yes I did have to carefully shave it down. What I did was get my Stanley knife and carve off the outer rubber type layer until I reached the metal wire, and it's the wire that gets sandwiched in the slots. I'll try to get some photos up later for you and any other in the same boat :)

That duct tape idea for the shroud is brilliant. I have the same nightmare of it coming apart, & I didn't want to glue it.
No problems mate, sometimes the best solutions are the low tech ones ;)

That's a great test-fitting ... I keep laughing over your big smirk in that balaclava ...
Well I've waited this long so I'm going to enjoy it thats for sure!
Maybe I need this helmet to match then ;)
FinalSmiley6-1.jpg

although you may find that when trooping with that balaclava on is probably going to be bloody hot ... so if the back of your neck is not visible from underneath your ROTJ dome than you may not need it all :)
Yeah I figured that would be how it is, but hey it's a something I'm willing to go with and I can't wait to get out and troop!
I figure that once I get my final parts in hand I can work out the little things like that, maybe even trim it so it's just the neck part.

So what was the total time from order to delivery from custom props would you say?
So I transfered the payment on the 25/11/15 and I received it yesterday, 28/01/16
Hope that helps! (And that was with delays due to me needing to get measurements done and stuff)

Great update! Looks fantastic.
Thank you mate :thumbsup

Looks great, I really like the concept helmet as well!
Hahaha, yeah I couldn't resist! Still looks awesome without chest armour and a completely different helmet :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if you were still trying to figure out the length of the t-tracks, but Roy has some great blueprints in his goodies section on the website with lengths and dimensions on them...

http://wannawanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/blueprint-DV-ESB.jpg
Chris

It's funny you should post this since I saved it to my computer last week and it's literally on my to do list to print it out at 1:1 and double check

Well finally 5 months after the my initial mock up, I've finally been able to mount the saber hook! And as for whole, you gotta wait until you have your soft parts to make sure it's right, I was only just able to restrain myself from doing it last September!
Oh and here's the kicker, my mock up with a jumper on was actually bang onto when I finally got the CP gear on, so I could've done it last year no problems!

Hook Finally Attached!

81B_zpsnpymmnln.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great costume build, amazing work mate. I like the work done on the Parks MPP, but the holes left by the removal of the MPP manufacture plate I wouldn't have lost sleep over as these are plainly visible on my MR ANH Saber, so I'd consider the holes canon

Great thread, man. :) Thanks for all the pics. I certainly can see your excitement in the test fit and it's great. :)

Thank you sir and you are absolutely right on the excitement. I've been waiting on this for over a year now and I'm finally getting close!
Can't wait for the full suit up!

- - - Updated - - -

That's a great costume build, amazing work mate. I like the work done on the Parks MPP, but the holes left by the removal of the MPP manufacture plate I wouldn't have lost sleep over as these are plainly visible on my MR ANH Saber, so I'd consider the holes canon

First of all thank you mate! :)
And second in regards to to the holes... Let's just say over on the 501st Sith Lord Detachment forum we have a term we use for our unique condition, we call it OVD. Also known as Obsessive Vader Dissorder. So me being fussy I felt I had to do something, plus it was actually pretty fun to solve that problem ;)

Sorry to have taken so long to get pictures up, the last few days were much busier than I had anticipated, but here you go sir!

As you can see, I stripped part of it down to the wire

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t391/Studio_49/Darth Vader/Lightsaber/WIP/10A_zpsrppzkwba.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t391/Studio_49/Darth Vader/Lightsaber/WIP/10B_zps551p5tza.jpg

Thank you so much for the great images. :thumbsup They are more helpful than I can express. :cheers

Your build is amazing!

Thank you so much for the great images. :thumbsup They are more helpful than I can express. :cheers

Your build is amazing!

No problems at all mate, I'm just stoked I was able to help you out with your conversion ;)
And thank you for the compliments by the way, it's really nice to come read what you guys have to say :)

Mini saber update time.
I did two things today. First I printed out the WannaWanga template in a 1:1 format so I could double check what length to cut my WannaWanga grips too.
So after doing so and ensuring everything was called correctly I've determined that the grips for my ROTJ Saber will be a total of 4 inches in length each. So when I get the chance and if there's no glaring issues with my measurements It'll be a simple matter of just trimming them to size with either my dermel or hacksaw.

11A_zpskrdfonsb.jpg

11B_zps9yyq2ukp.jpg

Next on my Saber to do list is:
- Trim the red wire down a few mm
- Trim, shave and glue the grips
- Glue the wires in place

Attachments

• 11D_zpshff0grcy.jpg
    11D_zpshff0grcy.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back