Straight Outta Compton (Post-release)

Re: Straight out of Compton

"gangsta rap" wasnt what many people assumed it was, same as Johnny Cash singing about someone elses story. There is a flip side to the coin however that only someone that grew up in LA and seen first hand power and corruption not just with LAPD but many LEO's in general leading up to and during that era. I had friends at the time who knew a couple of the NWA guys and can tell you they were not what the NWA persona was made out to be. For the most part they were carrying an alter ego to sell records. Its a practice thats been around since any form of entertainment has existed. Only a couple of the "crew" were "gangsters" and im curious as how accurate the movie will be. Im told it was a mess during production.

As far as the movie goes, it follows the known footsteps of who was doing what at the time. Little or no embellishment trying to recreate history or portraying them as stone cold killers.

Rob hits the nail on the head. NWA was a persona to give a voice to people in Compton (and anyone else who could relate) who had been kept silent. "I heard it was a nightmare during production." I would have to agree, nobody likes Suge Knight rolling up on your filming location and killing people by running them over.

I'm way on board for this film, and patiently waiting for it to come to theaters near me. :)

I also hope this film does well enough that the door to the long rumoured, on again off again, Tupac biopic actually opens. That's a great story that deserves to be told whether or not you think it "glorifies" Gangsta rap.

There is plenty of "rap" that doesn't glorify being a "straight out" thug. Look at Will Smith, he's never used profanity in his songs. There are tons of intellectual rappers like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Illogic, hell some where bona fide established poets before writing hip hop like Saul Williams. Not all rap is about guns and violence.

I know,that rap doesn't bug me-however I still think it's a big pile of rancid stupid,rap is someone messing with a mixer and talking and rhyming so it's a zero skill thing to me.

In other words perfect for the short attention span man children and women we have so much of nowadays.

If it were a zero skill issue, I would definitely be a rapper...:lol

I get that a lot of this Dirty South/Teenie rappers may have poisoned the well for a lot of people. They do occasionally spit garbage that makes me say, WTF...

But I generally like all genres of music, except bagpipes of course, (unless we're talking Drop Kick Murphys mixing it in with there punk sound)...but I digest

Zero skill thing- funny. I don't like a lot of it, and I don't like country or Maroon Five either, but they are all talented or they wouldn't make any money because everybody would be doing it.

The worst guitar player with a cd is still better than you.

I remember people trashing Kenny G. 'I knew guys in college who were better technical players.' Then they are stupid for not playing Kenny G music. Dude has a huge house.

The director called me a few day ago to talk airplanes etc. He could not be happier at the rave reviews the movie is getting. Universal is going all out with advertizing here in LA. Billboards, radio, TV ads etc.

Like it or not, the musical influence of those guys in the early 1990s LA rap scene was colossal. If they don't deserve a bio movie then neither do the Beatles.

Hitler was pretty influential as well, I don't think he deserves a movie... but he pretty much cornered the market on The History Channel until he was usurped by Bigfoot and aliens.

I'm not a gangster rap/hip-hop fan so I'm probably biased but I don't think created anything positive with their style of music. If anything I think it fostered a culture of deviant and defiant behavior and gave young people false hope with the message "be a thug, rap about it, make millions"... the reality being "be a thug, end up in prison or dead... with no money".

Not a rap fan, but I do want to see this flick. I do recognize their importance to music and the frustration of young people in South Central in the late 80s and early 90s.

I Suggest you check out out the lyrics to Express Yourself.

I've been super excited about this movie since the first teaser, and went and saw it last night and loved it. I remember all the backlash when NWA came out, and lived in LA for about ten years in the 2000's right next to Inglewood (always up to no good). It was really interesting to see the history behind these guys and how they changed the musical scene. This movie is as relevant now as ever, and I'm glad it's getting great reviews. It deserves it and should be seen.

I saw it last night. I liked it a lot. The theater was packed too for an 8pm showing. As a Raider fan I loved seeing their apparel in every other scene.

I enjoyed it, those were some raucous times.

Can't wait for the Directors cut supposedly 5 hours long

Hitler was pretty influential as well, I don't think he deserves a movie... but he pretty much cornered the market on The History Channel until he was usurped by Bigfoot and aliens.

I'm not a gangster rap/hip-hop fan so I'm probably biased but I don't think created anything positive with their style of music. If anything I think it fostered a culture of deviant and defiant behavior and gave young people false hope with the message "be a thug, rap about it, make millions"... the reality being "be a thug, end up in prison or dead... with no money".

Not really. Their music or this type of music didn't foster defiant behaviour. You can thank institutional racism, unemployment, poor investment in towns and cities and the Police for the majority of whats occured over the last 30 years, and something which ironically is still true to this day, except its now not reported as major news, except for protests.

Personally, in my opinion, the actual group NWA did make an historical impact, as did Public Enemy, 2pac Shakur, Run DMC, KRS One, Rakim, and many others.
Of course, with any genre of music you will get garbage, and thats true for all.

Sometimes you have to sift through the garbage to find the gold.

My personal favorite artist who is practically unknown to most mainstream audiences is this guy here. Far more powerful than NWA and many others.
He actually retired and worked as a Stock broker in the World Trade Centre before returning to independent music.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Testarossa from the movie is up for sale now. Black horse Automovive in LA has it. I don't know if it's been advertised yet though

Not really. Their music or this type of music didn't foster defiant behaviour. You can thank institutional racism, unemployment, poor investment in towns and cities and the Police for the majority of whats occured over the last 30 years, and something which ironically is still true to this day, except its now not reported as major news, except for protests.

Personally, in my opinion, the actual group NWA did make an historical impact, as did Public Enemy, 2pac Shakur, Run DMC, KRS One, Rakim, and many others.
Of course, with any genre of music you will get garbage, and thats true for all.

Sometimes you have to sift through the garbage to find the gold.

My personal favorite artist who is practically unknown to most mainstream audiences is this guy here. Far more powerful than NWA and many others.
He actually retired and worked as a Stock broker in the World Trade Centre before returning to independent music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywoLzIYhCeA

I've been a massive Paris fan for a long time. You're the first person I have ever seen say the same thing!

Also, Talib Kweli. He's not very well known but for me is helping rap no end!

I throughly enjoyed both 8 Mile and Hustle & Flow despite not being a fan of the genre. Both stood on their own merits as solid drama films without relying on the popularity of the music to carry it. It's as much a study of the people as it is a study of the music, and i've discovered I don't need to like rap to like a movie about rap. I won't say i'm falling over myself with excitement to go see this, but i'll watch it with the same open mind I gave the other two.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back