Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Glover is still a big wtf to me. I've listened to his music, seen his stand up, television work and what have you but as Lando it strikes me as odd choice. Billy Dee's suave voice and atmosphere is totally not something Glover has convinced me he can do. He's a name and that's about it. I welcome him to prove me wrong

talked to a friend of mine last night. he's a big fan of don glover. i never seen him before but i guess he's a comedian? this would be his first big film?

talked to a friend of mine last night. he's a big fan of don glover. i never seen him before but i guess he's a comedian? this would be his first big film?

Probably the only stupid bit in 'The Martian'

I'm pretty confident in the guy

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Glover is still a big wtf to me. I've listened to his music, seen his stand up, television work and what have you but as Lando it strikes me as odd choice. Billy Dee's suave voice and atmosphere is totally not something Glover has convinced me he can do. He's a name and that's about it. I welcome him to prove me wrong

Well maybe he isn't very suave or hasn't developed that "Lando Swagger" just yet. I'm excited to see what Childish Gambino can do!

I have no doubts related to Donald Glover's abilities, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the ability to turn into Billy Dee, then turn back time a handful of decades.

If it has a Star Was atmosphere I'll be happy to throw money at it.

Not sure what to make of this.

http://screenrant.com/han-solo-movie-cinematographer-interview-break-rules/

A hate it when people feel compelled to put their own signature on something, just for the sake of doing so. This article is far too vague to draw that conclusion, but I've seen it happen so many times before.

Let's hope they make a "Star Wars" movie, with full respect paid to the tradition of the Original Trilogy--in particular, ANH and ESB.

The Wook

I feel that Disney is trying to capitalize on the characters by name, but recasting them with younger actors, enabling them to continue making movies without the need to cast the originals. They can cast up and coming actors that will be a viable source for several movies. I think the hardest part for me is accepting another actor playing an iconic role, and getting myself to believe its the same character. Casting someone who is visually similar would help, but their casting choices for Han already leaves me with doubts about enjoying this movie.

I think Rouge One was the easier film to make, simply because it had mostly all new characters, with all new faces, except for a few that they did a good job with (Mon Mothma) casting.

I honestly believe people who aren't very familiar with the history behind this movie, being about a young Han Solo, will walk into the theater and have no idea who this guy is supposed to be until they start calling him Han... and they will just be confused for a while...

Fictional characters have been portrayed by different actors, how is that something new?

It's easier to swallow a new James Bond actor when they have been doing it every few years for generations.

If they had stopped the Bond movies after Connery for decades, and only cast a new guy this year, it would be much harder to accept.

That's the actor replacement issue.
Whether they should be going into Han's backstory is another matter.

IMO at the very least Disney should have waited until a couple more new SW movies were done before touching this. They have this in gear before they know enough about how the public will react to new SW stuff.

Harrison Ford's age may be playing into the rush. They may want to get the new guy into the role while Harrison still can/will do the role. I can think of a few different possible reasons for that, both on and off screen.

The James Bond thing applies there, too. But there's the other issue they share with James Bond which makes the recasting more palatable: they're all on-screen interpretations of pre-existing characters who had previously only been written or drawn. We were used to decades of very different characterizations of each before they were cast or recast. Indiana Jones, Han Solo, they are singular film characters and recasting them in that same context is going to be more jarring for most fans.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back