Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

70% of the people walking into the theater will expect most of the famous incidents to be covered. At least 50% will be downright disappointed if the movie doesn't cover most of it.

i agree... i dont have to see han win the falcon. to be honest he didnt win it in a exciting way, like winning a boxing match, or risking his life to win it... he won it in a card game. which we now know he cheated to win... which i dont like how now we have learned he cheated to win....

i can guarantee they will show han win the falcon in the film

I think it was confirmed we'd see him win it. I wrote it this way to keep it canon that he got it through a win-lose situation with Lando, just something more meaningful than a drunken card game lol

i agree... i dont have to see han win the falcon. to be honest he didnt win it in a exciting way, like winning a boxing match, or risking his life to win it... he won it in a card game. which we now know he cheated to win... which i dont like how now we have learned he cheated to win....

i can guarantee they will show han win the falcon in the film
Yes, it confirmed.

But it's all a bunch of 'memberberries

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

An interesting quote from KK regarding the story and tone:

“This moves closer to a heist or Western type feel,” says Kennedy. “We’ve talked about [Frederic] Remington and those primary colors that are used in his paintings defining the look and feel of the film.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed.

Elvis in Charro! (1969)
dd57ffab038ccbef118a4338148d8c8b.jpg badger-solo-ref.jpg

I think I get what she means, having watched ANH (again) the other day on DVD and the original trilogy on VIDEO!!!.
Once you have stripped out all the additional over complex CGI'd scenes from the special editions there is a straight simplicity to the movie particularly around Mos Esley that is VERY like a western. That space port originally feels kind of under populated and sparse, like a western frontier town and that's true for most of the film.Even the Yarvin base shots (apart from the ceremony) lack the over crowdedness that many sci fi film suffer from have these days , ie they tend to over stuff them so full of aliens ,robots and people its like a shopping mall at Xmas , as opposed to most of the shots in ANH (though I guess with RO coming out they will have evacuated a lot of the RA leaders out of Yarvin ,knowing the DS was likely after them soon ,just leaving the strike force and ground teams). And again I was surprised just how different the tone was changed , may be its just me and my fond memories of decades past revived , but damn it, it did feel so much more like the film I loved. Less is sometimes a whole lot more more.
Yes, the quality of the effects work needed up dating and if I have any arguments to make on the matter, I still think they could take the originals and "restore" them with a cleaner "print" and tweaked VFXs. Get rid of those horribly odd additions like the stormtroopers marching criss-cross across the dunes and on fake CGI lizards, and that terrible dated Jabba MF scene now. The ST on the dewback glimpsed in the desert background is so much better than fully viewed one.
The whole first half of the film feels exactly like a western,with a near lawless frontier town where patrons can shoot each other in a bar over a bounty. If they go for this tone, which is what made the first two films in the OT such a success then it seems like the right path for me. Keep the colour palate and lighting natural and people will respond to it better, less fakery, more realistic which is what made the films such a success originally.

A western would be amazing in the SW universe, a heist film? YES! Han & Co. Hauling then "dropping shipments" aka stashing it for themselves, getting chased by several baddies, gunning their way out to the top baddie, then running into anew threat as soon as it feels safe to breathe. This. Better. Not. Disappoint.

i dont know if this was already posted, but i randomly found it on youtube. i think its actually pretty good! made me laugh a few times

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogue One really has me concerned about the Han Solo movie. While Rogue One used mostly new characters to build upon the existing lore, there were parts of it that seemed like a fan film. Overall, the movie was amazing - but, it seemed to be paying fan service once or twice too often.

Rogue One also brought us the 1977 versions of Tarkin and Leia. Nearly perfect doubles of those character (that may or may not have dipped into the uncanny valley for some). Whereas, this Han Solo movie seems to be bringing us a Han that looks little like the Han we know and love.

Rogue One really has me concerned about the Han Solo movie. While Rogue One used mostly new characters to build upon the existing lore, there were parts of it that seemed like a fan film. Overall, the movie was amazing - but, it seemed to be paying fan service once or twice too often.

Rogue One also brought us the 1977 versions of Tarkin and Leia. Nearly perfect doubles of those character (that may or may not have dipped into the uncanny valley for some). Whereas, this Han Solo movie seems to be bringing us a Han that looks little like the Han we know and love.

Quality of story, quality of performance can go a long way to alleviating lack of visual familiarity.

i dont know if this was already posted, but i randomly found it on youtube. i think its actually pretty good! made me laugh a few times

That's Jamie Costa, the guy that does the amazing Robin Williams impressions.
I wonder if this was something he put together as an audition tape for Disney.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back