Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Lol. Midicrapians.

Acting isnt rocket science but if everyone could do it there would be no failed actors. To me he sounded like he had a frog in his throat in AOA. But to each their own.

Last edited:

I think everyone is forgetting the good luck Harrison had back in the 70's......getting that role that changed his life,...propelling him to the highest paid actor in Hollywood,.....as Han & Indy,....he just flies casual,.....as those two characters Harrison plays them as himself really....& makes us believe he is those characters.......obviously Harrison has acted as many other guys & developed his acting style,.....

Although Anthony does a great Han impression for a few minutes & looks like a young Harrison, could he STAR in a full feature where he needs to be an actor,......coping with all the lines,......Harrison makes it look so easy.....I would have loved Anthony to be up for the job,...but obviously he wasn't considered for some reason,.....probably because he isn't an actor

I can't wait to see how Alden takes on the role,....& how it incorporates into the new overall story

.......now....what about the Falcon?.....do you think we will see her without Han's special modifications

J

"probably because he isn't an actor"
"no correlation between one's ability to do impressions and one's ability to act"

Ingruber attended the Wellington Performing Arts Centre (drama school) and has real acting credits... he might not have a lot of credits; but, he does have some. Harrison says this of him: "he's a very talented young actor," "he's great" - granted, he might just be being polite - but, he is Harrison Ford.

Ingruber is listed at 6 foot tall, Ehrenreich at 5'8," Ford at 6'1."

I would hate that this casting was more about Hollywood politics and trying to cast the next Hollywood heartthrob than giving the right person the job. If the rumor is true and Ingruber didn't even get an audition - that's just stupid and being shortsighted.

"probably because he isn't an actor"
"no correlation between one's ability to do impressions and one's ability to act"

Ingruber attended the Wellington Performing Arts Centre (drama school) and has real acting credits... he might not have a lot of credits; but, he does have some. Harrison says this of him: "he's a very talented young actor," "he's great" - granted, he might just be being polite - but, he is Harrison Ford.

Ingruber is listed at 6 foot tall, Ehrenreich at 5'8," Ford at 6'1."

I would hate that this casting was more about Hollywood politics and trying to cast the next Hollywood heartthrob than giving the right person the job. If the rumor is true and Ingruber didn't even get an audition - that's just stupid and being shortsighted.

Well said, JD. And Anthony's inexperience is virtually matched by this cat they gave the part to. A cat who is closer to 5' 6" than 5' 8", or I'll eat my bandolier.

The Wook

Alden is a good actor and I think he'll do awesome in the role. My only concern is his height at 5'8". At the same time, though, moviemakers are very good at hiding those types of things. So we'll see.

Yeah height is easily hidden in movies. The reference I always make to this is our favorite Scientologist Tom Cruise.

A classic example of this is in their movie "Knight and Day" Cameron Diaz is 5'9" and Tom Cruise is 5'7" but this image from the movie clearly shows something different.

enhanced-buzz-4790-1367029130-5.jpg

I'll personally go see the film simply for the fact it's an extended Han Solo story. It's the same reason I use to tune into The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles when it was on TV. Sure it wasn't Harrison Ford as Indy or even River Phoenix as the "established Young Indy... but it was Indiana Jones.

But I'll also take this opportunity to give a shout out to Harrison Ford. He is one of my top go to's when describing "an actor" in conversation. Most agree with me when I say, "You can watch Harrison Ford in something like Star Wars and not say "Hey, there's Indiana Jones" or watch the Fugitive and say "Hey, there's Han Solo". It says a lot to me that an actor can play multiple iconic rolls and still manage to keep the audience entertained and not distracted by their various other rolls.

By the way my other one on my list is Gary Oldman. Pure Talent. I bring him up during these talks and start listing off his credits and everyone at some point says "Wait, that was Gary Oldman?" It's a privilege to watch him do his job.

-Ash

All this talk about height. Because, y'know, that's the most important factor in a movie. :rolleyes

Also, I've been within arm's length of Ford. No way he's 6'1". I am barely 6' and I was taller.

All this talk about height. Because, y'know, that's the most important factor in a movie. :rolleyes

Also, I've been within arm's length of Ford. No way he's 6'1". I am barely 6' and I was taller.

Yeah I think Ford is likely 5'11"-6'. I never think of him as a big guy either when watching him on screen.

Last edited:

Yeah height is easily hidden in movies. The reference I always make to this is our favorite Scientologist Tom Cruise.

A classic example of this is in their movie "Knight and Day" Cameron Diaz is 5'9" and Tom Cruise is 5'7" but this image from the movie clearly shows something different.

View attachment 622432

-Ash

Yes, apple crates have been around since the days of Bogie and Bacall (and before). But in this case, we've got an actor stepping into the shoes of another actor, who singularly represents to us this iconic film character for the last 40 years. The old actor would tower over the new actor in real life. This is bad casting, pure and simple.

He's shrunk.

Yeah I think Ford is likely 5'11"-6'. I never think of him as a big guy either when watching him on screen.

Then you must've thought of Mark Hamill as a lilliputian. Because Ford towers over Hamill in Star Wars. And Hamill is about 2" TALLER than Ford's replacement. Wow.

The Wook

starwarsthrone3.jpg

Considering that he's most likely going to be interacting almost exclusively with Chewbacca, shorter women, and aliens, I don't think his height matters at all. They can stick him in some of RDJ's Iron Man 2 disco platforms for some scenes, they can have a shorter guy in the Chewbacca suit, they can cast women who are 5' 2". It doesn't matter at all, not one bit.

Considering that he's most likely going to be interacting almost exclusively with Chewbacca, shorter women, and aliens, I don't think his height matters at all. They can stick him in some of RDJ's Iron Man 2 disco platforms for some scenes, they can have a shorter guy in the Chewbacca suit, they can cast women who are 5' 2". It doesn't matter at all, not one bit.

There are some men--and I don't know what the height cutoff is--who are so short that they look short, no matter who they're surrounded by. They look short/small, even when they're alone. Alden Ehrenreich is one of these men.

The Wook

EDIT: Bryancd, I agree. But this guy they've hired on to play Solo is, in my estimation, 2" shorter than Hamill. And Ford towered over Hamill. That is my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree that if they didn't give Ingruber an audition they were just effing stupid.

What I don't get is he let fans rally to him, but never even said if he (Ingruber) got an audition on his fb. Maybe he wasn't allowed to say anything?

Pretty sure Harrison Ford himself in interviews in the 80's said he's 5'11" they always add a couple of inches to the stat sheets in Hollywood. IMHO the Han Solo film is going to be a mess and just isn't needed! It's just a cash grab by Disney preying on the Nostalgia most Star Wars fans have for any character from the OT.

Height will not matter what so ever. Ford is maybe 5'9" as I looked completely over him while he was wearing the Fedora in Crystal Skull, im 6'2". Hamill comes up to my armpit from as far back as the mid 90's when he did some Corman films but what a great guy. He drove a beige Volvo station wagon back then which always took everyone off guard. Its common practice for leading men to be around the 5'8" height area for visual proportions on camera. Add a little muscle and definition and you have someone that looks ten feet tall on camera hence the 80's action star genre. This goes way back to westerns when they made sets and doorways proportionately smaller in size to make an actor look taller on camera. There is also an inside joke about leading men and height where if two of them are to be seen together footwear comes into play with lifts not only in the shoe soles but inside the shoe lifts as well. It may be documented when Arnold would be around Stallone for the Planet Hollywood appearances he would wear boots with two inches of lift as well as two inch lift inserts. When you deal with actors on camera that are 6'2" and over many visual issues arise. The best recent example I can call on is Roland Kickinger in Terminator Salvation. He is an honest 6'5" with shoulders like a tank in that movie. Every Terminator fan complained the T800 was too giant when in fact Roland was the base for its CG size. He is just that large of a person.

Try and remember when it comes to recasting roles, Harrison Ford is not above taking over someone else's roll himself.

He was no the first Jack Ryan.

It cracks me up how everyone is all up in arms about any actor's height. They can mask that kind of stuff with camera angles. Many leading men in movies tend to have themselves photographed a few steps closer to camera (i.e. forced perspective) to give them a few inches of height on their co stars when being filmed. You'd think people would be more concerned with the actor being able to actually act.

I have serious doubts about this movie even being any good anyway, not matter who they cast in the role. Will I see it? Of course, but my expectations are not set very high.

Last edited:

The idea that Miles Teller made the "final list" for Han Solo says a lot about the Casting Director. This guy couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. I've seen most of his performances and he is - at best - a one note pony, playing a variation of the same character repeatedly, showing little - if any - range or emotional depth. If Miles Teller made the short list, it seems there is more to the casting process than I'm privy to - and it sure seems it's more about Hollywood politics than about who can really do the character justice.

...and while I will agree an actor playing any role, much less an iconic role like Han Solo, should be able to act, he should also look like the character.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back