Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

Mine arrived today! I got a notice that it had been delivered while I was out getting lunch, so I scurried on home (fortunately only 10 miles away) to rescue it from languishing on my porch all afternoon.

It is truly a thing of beauty. I brought it back to work and played show and tell. I am so excited by this little gadget. The 12 year old me would have killed to have one of these back in the day. Right now I feel like I'm that kid again. :)

Anyone have any plans for a new belt holster ?, Im trying to design one

I think a holster/belt that uses the same rare earth magnets that the comm uses would work well

It is truly a thing of beauty. I brought it back to work and played show and tell. I am so excited by this little gadget. The 12 year old me would have killed to have one of these back in the day. Right now I feel like I'm that kid again. :)

Yeah- i've like it's Christmas morning all week! For an hour I couldn't get that cheesy grin off my face

Any link ?, also TPZ ??? Sorry I'm new here

It's the Trek Prop Zone but you have to be a member to even be able to read the posts on the site. You also have to be a member a certain amount of time and have a certain amount of posts before you are able to by anything through the site.

Got mine yesterday. I'm VERY pleased! I haven't figured out all the functions (maybe I should read the manual rather than skim it) Anyways, my speaker seems very loud at the highest volume setting, indoors & out. It understands all my voice commands, better than my Motorola earpiece. The added sound effects & voices are cool. I love it!!!

Something occurred to me though. Don't people in the future from Archer to Picard feel the need to have a private conversation? There's no expectation of privacy with the communication devices of the future.

As to the grid not being as wide on the wire frame as Alpha, well, the antenna doesn't have Alpha's z-bend anyways since the manufacturers couldn't guarantee a consistent product, so it's not Alpha's lid in the first place. Secondly, even though the grid isn't as wide as Alpha's and other comms that I've seen on HeroComm, the antenna is still cannon as you can see in this image of the Delta comm from HeroComm's website from the episode 'This Side of Paradise' :

25-06.jpg

In fact, looking at the shape of the lid in the image and comparing it to the Wand comm, I'd say it's a dead ringer, not only in grid to wire frame width, but the shape and contour as well. I'd almost swear they patterned the lid after Delta.

Something occurred to me though. Don't people in the future from Archer to Picard feel the need to have a private conversation? There's no expectation of privacy with the communication devices of the future.

Nope. On the original series we can see that people from the United Federation of Planets are NOT those sneaky little bastards with their stupid need for privacy who are protecting all their data with stupid passwords and then post everything they do to their Facebook account. Nope, by the 22nd Century we treat a phone conversation just like a regular conversation.

In Star Trek it's the Romulans and the Klingons who keep their calls private.

Sneaky would be the least of my concern. How about a little privacy with the wife or girlfriend not to mention a little privacy in general.

Sigh, It looks like a bleak future of cold fish.

Nope. On the original series we can see that people from the United Federation of Planets are NOT those sneaky little bastards with their stupid need for privacy who are protecting all their data with stupid passwords and then post everything they do to their Facebook account. Nope, by the 22nd Century we treat a phone conversation just like a regular conversation.
That's totalitarian reasoning. Every government that wants to encroach on privacy says "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." I'm fairly sure GR was not contemplating a police state, nor one in which the basic human need for privacy would be trivialized.

The show simply didn't worry about the need for privacy in conversations (except for the occasional "sub-frequency and scramble"), because they were trying to tell stories. Open conversations are a dramatic device, just like the transporter, just like warp speed. 250 or so years from now, humans will still need privacy, just like they'll still need dignity. Whether they actually can get them anymore, I don't care to guess.

Alright now, guys. Let's not go nuts... Nothing philosophical to be found in our ****ing communicators. :p

Anyone else notice that when unpaired, you get 3 chirps opening. When paired, you get 4. Neato! Or, is that in the directions somewhere and I missed it!?

That's totalitarian reasoning. Every government that wants to encroach on privacy says "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." I'm fairly sure GR was not contemplating a police state, nor one in which the basic human need for privacy would be trivialized.

The show simply didn't worry about the need for privacy in conversations (except for the occasional "sub-frequency and scramble"), because they were trying to tell stories. Open conversations are a dramatic device, just like the transporter, just like warp speed. 250 or so years from now, humans will still need privacy, just like they'll still need dignity. Whether they actually can get them anymore, I don't care to guess.

My thoughts exactly.

That's totalitarian reasoning. Every government that wants to encroach on privacy says "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear."[\QUOTE]

Which is true. I can't understand the obsession with privacy.

The show simply didn't worry about the need for privacy in conversations (except for the occasional "sub-frequency and scramble"), because they were trying to tell stories. Open conversations are a dramatic device[\QUOTE]

Then why did they show Klingons or Romulans withdrawing to have private conversations?

250 or so years from now, humans will still need privacy, just like they'll still need dignity. Whether they actually can get them anymore, I don't care to guess.

I don't even need it now. I wouldn't want a webcam in my home, especially not in my bathroom, but I don't have passwords on my smartphones or computers. The way I see it, when they steal my devices it's the deviced I'm concerned with, not the data on them. I have no secrets. The only reason I fear death is because I'm not a celebrity. My death won't be front page news. But if I could only become a celebrity and have paparazi take my picture every time I leave my home, if my face would be on the front page of magazines every now and then, I would be a happy man. I can only dream of having an agent who tells the press where they can find me when I go somewhere and a press that is interested, my life would be so sweet.

Oh and BTW, did no one see the sarcasm in my early post when I talk about those who are worried about their privacy yet post their every move themselves on Facebook?

Last edited:
Got mine yesterday. I'm VERY pleased! I haven't figured out all the functions (maybe I should read the manual rather than skim it) Anyways, my speaker seems very loud at the highest volume setting, indoors & out. It understands all my voice commands, better than my Motorola earpiece. The added sound effects & voices are cool. I love it!!!

Pics...?

- - - Updated - - -

As to the grid not being as wide on the wire frame as Alpha, well, the antenna doesn't have Alpha's z-bend anyways since the manufacturers couldn't guarantee a consistent product, so it's not Alpha's lid in the first place. Secondly, even though the grid isn't as wide as Alpha's and other comms that I've seen on HeroComm, the antenna is still cannon as you can see in this image of the Delta comm from HeroComm's website from the episode 'This Side of Paradise' :

http://herocomm.com/ImageDatabase/1stSeason/ThisSideOfParadise/25-06.jpg

In fact, looking at the shape of the lid in the image and comparing it to the Wand comm, I'd say it's a dead ringer, not only in grid to wire frame width, but the shape and contour as well. I'd almost swear they patterned the lid after Delta.

What the **** is an Alpha?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back