Tom's Real Parts Obi Wan Saber

After re-doing the weld I actually welded the neck to the grenade. oops (technically that's not a big deal) but the weld isn't that noticeable. I took newspaper and dabbed some semi-gloss black paint on the grey weld to camouflage it some more. My grenade is very gray and metallic-y (and lumpy) so this seemed to work.

I also took a crappy pink grinding cone and attacked some of the rust. in taking it off, it seemed to spread! I think its just the rotary tool throwing rust - I hit it with a damp paper towel and that seemed to help. I dried the grenade over an open flame on my stove to avoid rust forming....left a tiny bit of rust for 2 reasons: weathering and avoiding bare patches of metal that would still look weird. I then hit it with a liberal amount of clear coat (I got excited)

pics to come!

I got pics of every step but after I stopped removing rust, and then the clear coat drying..

Attachments

• DSCN3160.JPG
    DSCN3160.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 139
  • DSCN3163.JPG
    DSCN3163.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 114
  • DSCN3164.JPG
    DSCN3164.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 112
  • DSCN3169.JPG
    DSCN3169.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 116
  • DSCN3166.JPG
    DSCN3166.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
  • DSCN3170.JPG
    DSCN3170.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 110
You are a beast, man! Great job on the rebuild. Again, the patch/rebuild is very intimidating.
I did pick up a JB Weld liquid steel putty stick for mine. The fluidity of the one you got scared me (I have learned that I don't handle certain material too well heh heh)..I'll let you know how it goes.
I can only hope the repair I do is in the same ballpark as yours.

Gosh, thanks Andy! yea, I haven't used a stick before and I'm VERY interested in how that pans out. Especially for grenades in good shape, you need a smooth surface if you're going to patch it. I also originally imagined wiping away the excess and just leaving putty in the holes but that's how Apoxie sculpt works. Not JB Weld *sigh*

I'm watching the clear coat dry. Since it's flat (there was only gloss, flat and satin and gloss usually looks cheap) the grenade isn't as shiny but "gun metal-y"Tthe whole thing looks like one solid relic!

Nice save! Good job! :thumbsup

Is that a real balance pipe?

Thanks!!! As my first real part I was so scared to taint the authenticity. The balance pipe...youre not the first one to ask - this is the first balance pipe replica made after the discovery. Boba Debt weathered them - were you around for that run? I don't know who exactly machined them, maybe serafino? Anyways, other than the real thing, I'm really appreciative kurtyboy sold it to me while I was in college.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and that's one of your weathered necks welded to the damn thing - it looks identical to the real thing, just with cleaner machining :lol

Thanks man! The validation feels so good, I kept using hand sanitizer because I was sweating trying to concentrate..

here are some beauty shots with a modern handwheel, @RomansEmpire booster, clamp spacer, transistors and grenade neck, A real Graflex clamp, Exactra 20 bubbles, Motorola M series amplifiers, British Hales frag body and that ol' balance pipe replica!

Attachments

• DSCN3175.jpg
    DSCN3175.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 156
  • DSCN3173.jpg
    DSCN3173.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 196
  • DSCN3171.JPG
    DSCN3171.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay ... so I just have to ask ... what's with that Han Solo Hoth Gear figure humping, or so it seems, on the back-end of that dog in your avatar, mugatu? :wacko

Chaim

Chaim, that image is having a hard time leaving my head. I will have strange dreams tonight.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I haven't put a D ring on because I always seem to be able to keep turning the pommel. I have a metal washer and then a rubber one below the booster to brace against the knob...hmm, like you Andy I just have a bare T nut and no endcap on too. Maybe it's the rubber grommet, I might be slowly crushing it

Well, everyone, I now have re-chromed sink knobs and I found a real Browning Flash Hider, booster attached.

I'm not sure if it has a separate bearing or not, still finalizing the transaction, however this means some structural changes.

pix920479675.jpgpix998380319.jpg

I used a brass "cabinet" allen screw to affix the pommel to the booster. Its head is very flat, something I was looking for in case I add a cap, and there's a T nut and washer bracing it inside, facing it. (opposite the direction of the photo)
008236720617_ca.jpg51NNa3GmImL._AC_UL320_SR264,320_.jpg

Now, the question is how do I bolt the booster, clamp and grenade together easiest and cheapest....

Congrats! I'll echo El's assessment that that piece is a pain to find...

P.S. I just used a carriage bolt, a washer, and a nut to connect my handwheel to my booster...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back