COMPLETE! "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Jim Raynor Armor *PIC HEAVY*

Re: "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Terran Marine CMC Armor WIP *PIC HEAVY*

MWiggs Perhaps black and white for the suit color, but mostly black, like if you made the greys in the render in post #76 white and the white in that render black. The suit will probably look awesome however you end up painting it, and I can't really contain my excitement to get to see it. I'm checking this thread for progress at least once a day, 'cause it's just an awesome build. I don't think you can bore us with this build, however much you go into details of how you're making it. I, for one, am intensly intrigued by every decision in the build.

PS: I think I saw that the piston-rod part of the knee-bending mechanism on the armour in the opening cinematic for the SC2 campaign is towards the thigh and the cylinder barrel is attached to the knee. It looks cool either way, but I just thought I'd throw that in there. I just started playing through SC2 again because of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was away for a while, but am glad to be back. The suit is looking slick! The chest and helmet and visor! Wish I had some advice for getting the electronics going, but that is one area that I still need to learn a bit more about myself.

If you do go the 65D route just beware that it is time consuming!

Keep at it man!

@dedguy - I agree! If you've ever seen the movie Vanishing point Kowalski drives a white '70 Dodge Challenger (currently sitting in my garage BTW :D, next project after the suit, still in primer) and in an interview the director they said "The color white was chosen for the car simply so the car would stand out against the background scenery in the movie." In most of the movie he's driving thru southern Utah, and Colorado so the red rock makes an amazing backdrop in contrast to the stark white. Plus I think the dirt shows up better. I'm thinking we may be onto something using some sort of white somewhere to make it stand out. I'll keep that in mind thanks!
@Khaylain - if I get a few extra minutes I'll switch the colors like you're suggesting and see how it looks. Nice suggestion! And thanks for the info on the pistons I hadn't looked that closely at that part. I dont think I can change mine at this point because the pipes are different sizes, but if I get a chance maybe I'll revisit that to make it slightly more accurate. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hello again! For today, the chef has prepared a very special helping of a SEE-THROUGH VISOR tutorial smothered in cheese, with a side of foam work on the torso aged to perfection. You'll find both go well with a glass of slight disappointment as my already too-close deadline waves as it flies by. And to finish the night out, hope on a plate complimenting six more months before the next major deadline, deep fried and dipped in chocolate. Enjoy!

Yep, as I said, it turns out I'm not going to be able to finish this in time for SLCC, but we have another big one called Fan Xperience taking place sometime in (most likely) April next year. Last time, Sir Patrick Stewart made it out here for one of the days! Excited to see who else shows up next year. So anyway, that's my next goal. Actually it's Halloween this year but it's already starting to get cold so painting my have to wait until spring. We'll see.

Minor update on the foam work, the trickiest part to date (I know I've said that before but I keep finding new ways to stump myself) is the lower surround to cover the gaps in the front and back. Kind of hard to describe but you'll get it looking at the pictures. I trimmed the existing foam pieces back a bit, added some layers around the lower edge to build up thickness, and used frog tape to create the shape I'd need to cover it all up. Confused yet? Ok pics are worth their weight in words so here they are:

20150905_185535.jpg 20150905_185559.jpg 20150908_065813.jpg

Didn't turn out exactly as I'd planned due to cutting the edges at a tad too sharp of angles, but not too bad, I think. If anyone wants more detail on how I did that I'm happy to oblige.

Ok on to the main course, a fairly detailed tutorial on HOW TO PAINT A VISOR or similar helmet/specs/mask etc. that reflects from the outside but remains see through! YAY! Examples might be a Halo helmet visor, Doc's silver sunglasses from the end of BTTF and beginning of BTTF2, a NASA space helmet, etc. I originally found a seriously awesome tutorial on the 405th, HERE, but I've added a bit more detail I think. I used his method on a test piece and altered it to make it work to my needs. If I were to start over there's a couple things I'd do differently but I have neither the patience or money to try again, so I'm content with what I've got. Oh, and BTW, I was thinking of different colors to paint the visor based on the color scheme of the rest of the armor but I decided orange/gold would probably fit best with the majority of the options I've been looking at. If I have enough kick-back tho, maybe I'll clean it off and try again ANYWAY here we go!

Step 1:
Aquire the right materials for the job.

I bought a clear acrylic dome from EZTops in Maine, US. They took almost a month and a half and a bit of nagging for the pieces to arrive but their quality is top notch and I'd definitely buy from them again! The dome/visor doesn't have to be acrylic, that's just the easiest thing I could find in the specific size I needed.
I dug out my old airbrush from high school and dialed it in to about 20psi on my compressor.
I bought 4 kinds of paint. I have Alclad II Chrome and Klear Kote, and Tamiya clear red and clear yellow acrylic. You'll also need tamiya's acrylic thinner in order to spray the stuff because it's surprisingly thick and will gum up your airbrush. FYI they have many different colors of clear so any color or combination thereof will work, as long as it's the "clear" version and not the "transparent" stuff.

20150907_165235.jpg

You'll need a good cleaner for the airbrush. the Klear is a laquer so the Tamiya thinner won't work to clean it out of the airbrush. Learned that the hard way.
Lastly, lots and lots of fresh air. Airbrushes are excellent at creating a very fine vapor that seems to never settle and float around in your breathing space indefinitely. Do this outside with a breather if at all possible.

Step 2:
Do a test piece first!
Last thing you want to do is jump into this without knowing how the paints will coat because it's not like using a spray can. Airbrushing is different! I used the piece I cut off the dome to get the correct shape, which was great because it had the same curve as the final piece I'd be painting, which helps to figure out what the paint will do on the surface.

Step 3:
Spray the chrome on the INSIDE of the piece.
The Alclad is airbrush-ready and does not need to be thinned. They recommend between 12-15psi for the chrome. Make sure your piece is VERY clean, with no fingerprints or dust at all! Those will show up at this point if they are present. Spray the chrome on the inside face of your piece as lightly as you can. The idea is to build up several very light layers in order to keep it thin enough to still see through from the back. After several light coats you'll start to see the surface starting to become darker and shinier. At that point, STOP. You've probably got it enough. Any thicker and it will no longer be see-through (as shown by my first test piece). It won't look very mirror-like yet but trust me, it will be. FYI this paint is truley incredible! I thought for sure I'd get the same result as a spray can style chrome that turns out more silver than chrome but YOWZER this stuff could not be closer to real chrome! Just spray it as evenly as you possibly can because you'll be able to see the thin spots. Let the chrome dry for about 15 minutes, but be aware: until you clear coat the stuff it's extremely delecate and will wipe off with just the pressure of you finger.

Step 4:
Mix the color acrylics to the shade desired and spray on the outside of the piece.
I used about a 4:1 ratio of the yellow to red, and not quite 50/50 with the thinner. I wanted darker than just yellow but not orange, so mixing worked for that. Try spraying a bit on a white piece of paper before you start in on the plastic to make sure the color is what you want, as well as the right consistency to spray evenly thru the gun without droplets forming and making a mess of the surface. The paper is white and opaque so the color will be far bolder than on a clear or reflective surface so try to get it just a bit darker than you want the final result to be. You'll be putting it on thin enough that the darker the color, the less you may have to put on.

I tried a different method to begin with on my test piece, which was spraying the color on first, half on the outside and half on the inside before the chrome goes on. I was hoping to retain the naturaly shinyness of the dome itsself and thought that I could just spray the chrome on over the top of the color to make that happen. That... didn't work. It looks ok from the outside but visibility is next to nothing and the surface finish is terrible. Also, I sprayed the chome on way too thick to begin with. Take it slow with that stuff. A little bit goes a long way!

20150907_103842.jpg 20150907_103852.jpg 20150907_105239.jpg 20150907_105252.jpg

As you can see, visibility on the test was.. well... non-existent. Slightly better on the side with the chrome inside/color outside however. Stick with that method. The key is a noce smooth surface for the chrome to stick too. The color coat on the inside makes is rough so the chrome can't coat evenly and lay flat like it's supposed to. That wreaks havok on the surface finish and thus, visibility.

20150907_111303_HDR.jpg

Now I know what you're thinking, it's not shiny enough! Or see-through enough! Your are correct, but that's where the next bit comes in:

Step 5:
Clear coat!
Like you, at this point I had my doubts and couldn't imagine I'd done anything right up to this point. But I plowed on, hoping at some point it'd be ok.
Crank the psi on the compressor up to 20-25psi for the clear and hose the piece down with 2 medium thick coats. Not enough that it runs but enough to glossify the surface. This fills in the spaces between paint particles and adds thickness to the finish which shines up beautifully without even buffing! Later on if you like, (I will) you can go back with very fine sandpaper and buff this thing to a mirror-like finish like you would a car. Wet-sanding tecniques and whatnot. I haven't done that part yet but when I get to it I'll detail that as well. Let the clear dry for at least an hour before touching it as it's very tacky stuff and will accept fingerprints with no argument.

No polishing at all! Just clear coat! As you can see, didn't work too well on the other side. Surprisingly enough, this cleared up the vision a lot! I forgot to get pictures in my excitement that I'd actually done something right, but I could see through the piece well enough to avoid people and obstacles fairly well! Remember tho, I sprayed the chrome on way too thick, so visibility behind the real piece is even better. Looks nice, but too much.

20150907_111208.jpg 20150907_111215.jpg 20150907_111340.jpg

SO! on to the real piece!

Chrome on the inside, lighter this time. So pretty! I was tempted to just stop at this point.

20150907_113312.jpg 20150907_160228.jpg

Color on the outside, lighter again this time. Again, not looking great in the visibility department. Time for clear!

20150907_162202.jpg 20150907_162230_HDR.jpg

First coat of clear! I mocked it up to check reflectivity and decided on another coat of clear, so I'll post a visibility update later.

20150907_162939.jpg 20150908_064732.jpg

Also, i plan on picking up some 1200 and 2000 grit sandpaper to really shine this thing up! I'll let you know how that turns out. Hope this helped, if I've left anything out let me know!
Thanks for watching!

I promised updated pictures so here they are:
I spent an hour or so sanding the helmet smooth, started with 1000 grit then 2000 then 4000 then 6000, then used a rubbing compound to polish it back up to gloss. No more subtle texture on the outside and it greatly increased see-through-ability! Even more so than it already was. Behold!

20150908_213853.jpg 20150908_214132.jpg

Nope, that's not a Photoshop filter, that's really how well I can see thru a reflective painted surface. I don't think I could be any happier with the result! Well, maybe a little, but hey for my first time trying this it's not too shabby! You can't tell from the picture really but I focused the sanding in the middle of the visible part of the visor and feathered it out a bit to leaving it pretty rough around the edges for kind of a dusty battle-worn look. Maybe it's too subtle... I'll probably rough it up more in the weathering stage. Anyway hope you like it! TTFN

Great technique. This would be ideal to make Doc's glasses from BTTF 2!

Great updates. I've been looking into how to make a reflective visor to see through, and this is the best I've seen. Mostly because you show your trial and error as well as explaining your thoughtprocess. And that visor is looking good. I can't believe you can see that well through that visor. It doesn't look like you should be able to see that well from the outside.

On the weathering stage, are you going to perhaps make some clawmarks in the visor, as if you'd been in close combat with the zerg? Perhaps score the helmet a bit and rub some brownish colour in there to make it look old?

Great technique. This would be ideal to make Doc's glasses from BTTF 2!

Thanks TomVDJ! Absolutely! I think I saw a similar technique somewhere here on that very thing... Right here it is! Maybe I'll do a pair of these when I'm done with this project.

Great updates. I've been looking into how to make a reflective visor to see through, and this is the best I've seen. Mostly because you show your trial and error as well as explaining your thoughtprocess. And that visor is looking good. I can't believe you can see that well through that visor. It doesn't look like you should be able to see that well from the outside.

On the weathering stage, are you going to perhaps make some clawmarks in the visor, as if you'd been in close combat with the zerg? Perhaps score the helmet a bit and rub some brownish colour in there to make it look old?

Thanks! Glad I could help! Yep as soon as I get the main construction done I'm hitting the entire suit, including the visor, with some serious authentic BATTLE DAMAGE! I'm still researching the best way to go about doing that but I like the idea of claw marks, maybe some bullet dings from accidental friendly fire.. I read somewhere that weathering armor should convey character about the suit, like every nick and scratch should represent a special story thru the wearer's conflict-filled life. A close call with a zergling, a stray bullet from a friend defending you from an attack from behind, the time you jumped over the corpse of a hydralisk onto the back of an ultralisk and single handedly destoyed the beast with nothing but your robotic fists!!! I swear I'm not crazy but you get the point. I'm reading up on dry brushing, rub-n-buff, black-washing, real rust, claw scratches, masking with mustard, and so on. I like your idea of the rougher edges and brown to really accentuate that! I'll keep it in mind thanks!

Thanks TomVDJ! Absolutely! I think I saw a similar technique somewhere here on that very thing... Right here it is! Maybe I'll do a pair of these when I'm done with this project.
If you do a run, I'd be very interested... ;).

Holy crap, that visor turned out beautifully! I really want to find a project to use this technique on now. Well done!

I thought Fan Xperience was the same as the comic con, and I figured I would have to wait until next fall to run around in my costume. I'll have to keep an eye on that and try to find you so I can get a picture with your suit. Nice work!

This is So Freaking Amazing!!! subscribe subscribe subscribe!

Holy crap, that visor turned out beautifully! I really want to find a project to use this technique on now. Well done!

Thanks! There's definitely a lot of options to go with! Keep me posted on where you end up, I'd be curious to see what ya'll can come up with using that!

I thought Fan Xperience was the same as the comic con, and I figured I would have to wait until next fall to run around in my costume. I'll have to keep an eye on that and try to find you so I can get a picture with your suit. Nice work!

Yep we're cool like that here! We've just got too many geeks to limit ourselves to one Con a year! :D FanX is in the spring and SLCC is the Autumn version. Hope to see you there! What are you going as?? My hopes of getting this done for this year have sadly been dashed but I do think I'll still try to make it to the Con at least one of the days, sans costume. Maybe we'll bump into each other! Either way, next year should rock!

This is So Freaking Amazing!!! subscribe subscribe subscribe!

Thanks man! I'm loving your build too - I'm going to use yours as reference when I start to weather mine, your paint job is incredible!

- - - Updated - - -

A parting thought before the weekend, I did a quick mock-up of a couple different color schemes and I think I'm getting a tad closer to deciding. I haven't had time to do up a camo version yet (that choice is still in the running) so it's not in the render, but my other top choices are. HELP ME CHOOSE! Oh and also, the far right version with the black accents could be any other color, I only did orange because it was the most convenient at the time. Also, decals can be swapped, etc. but as you can see from above, I've pretty much finallized the hemet color. With enough persuasion maybe I could do another one but for now, gold it is! Let me know what you think! And thanks again. Have a great weekend all! Build on.

ColorChoices1.JPG

That helmet is beautiful! And thanks for the tutorial; I look forward to trying it out one day.

As for battle damage, my funny story is that my cat loves foam. I have to hide away my armour and supplies, as she just can't get enough of the stuff. A few pieces that I have been careless with have gotten free battle damage in the form of tooth and claw marks. But (thankfully) my kitty is a bit small for a zergling.

Too bad that you missed your first deadline. But I think it's great that you are taking your time, and making it so awesome.

Great looking build thus far dude. I am envious of your skills.

You wouldn't happen to have any templates for this would you by any chance????

As for colour, may I suggest purple, or dark grey?

Carry on sir.

Wow MWiggs I am totally honored! But yeah anything you need ask away and I shall answer :D:thumbsup.

I like the black one! Though maybe gunmetal would be a more interesting choice!

Thanks for the input all! I really appreciate the feedback and comments, it keeps motivation high!

I do think grey/gunmetal would look pretty sweet! Do a two-tone deal with a matt or satin black with the grey? Stealthy! I'm starting to think I'm going to need to build four or five of these to be able to use all the colors I wanna see! I even had a suggestion for a very blingy chrome and gold. I doubt I'd wanna take that into battle as I'd be the first one to be targeted! Even so, thanks for the idea! I'll try to get a rendering out sometime this week for the grey/gunmetal, and a surprise/hilarious one my daughter is trying to talk me into. Not sure about purple, I don't think I can pull that off without someone making some comparison to Barney or something....
prev - As far as templates go, most of what I've done is free-hand, so the templates that I have used are kind of different than I think you're thinking. I have my cardboard frame layouts for the base parts and a pile of duct-tape flat patterns for the cut foam but they're not labeled or numbered so you'd have to sort thru a bunch of photos trying to figure out which ones go where, and scale everything correctly. I could provide you with the frames but they only provide the basic shape of each major body part. If you think you wanna tackle it tho, I can send em out and see what you can make of em!

On to the weekend update!
I foucused on the first set of lights on the torso and got the housings built out of 1/4" foamies, then added 1/8" foamies to the inside for the detail work. They're not easy to get to stay in the right shape without some support, but I figure the chest piece will help keep them in line. I found a 2" flashlight reflector online and got it to fit perfectly inside the housing.

20150912_132104.jpg 20150912_132109.jpg 20150912_132127.jpg

Next, I tried something I've never seen done but I couldn't think of a better way at the time. I've invented sculpting with tape! Basically start laying tape where you want your next piece of foam to be and build it up layer by layer until you have the approximate 3D shape, trim, flatten and transfer, then cut bend and glue! Worked out quite well in this instance. I kinda think it looks like a headlight from some car from the 50's or something. Classy! I roughed out the opening for the housing and test fitted it, then went back and trimmed and sanded until I had the right shape. Still doesn't fit perfectly but it's close. A little more tweaking and it'll be seamless.

20150911_065128.jpg 20150912_132151.jpg 20150912_132219.jpg

I went ahead and did the same thing on the other side and now I'm working on getting them to be as symmetrical as possible. Funny how little differences from side to side will affect the outcome so drastically. I put the housings in temporarily for mock-up because I still need to wire up the LEDs that will be going into them, but I'm very pleased with the result so far! BTW, the lights that I have for these are 10mm white leds that fit perfectly into the reflectors. I have glass lenses that will be fitted over the reflectors after the lights are installed and I plan to use the same method as with the visor to add a slight blue tint to the glass. That'll be later tho as I'm now in the process of building the top two lights and thier housings/mounts.

20150912_153048.jpg 20150912_153053.jpg

Thanks for watching, more to come! And thanks again for the feedback! I'm still keeping a tally of the colors suggested. Onward!

Impressive work with the lights, and the curved housings.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back