Radical! Creating a totally awesome 90's Donatello!

Sent you a pm. I would have liked to make my own arms for the suit. This was a cheaper option for me and my sculpting skills need some polish.

I bought a great airbrush kit at harbor freight for $89.00 on sale. Has a compressor and everything you need to get started (except the paint).

Sent you a pm. I would have liked to make my own arms for the suit. This was a cheaper option for me and my sculpting skills need some polish.

I bought a great airbrush kit at harbor freight for $89.00 on sale. Has a compressor and everything you need to get started (except the paint).

Awesome, that's exactly the one I am getting. How do you like it?

Tbh, I haven't even opened it up yet. I will be doing that this week tho now that the suit is about where I want it.

When I first made the body suit, I made an extended neck piece but apparently, once the latex dried, major shrinkage occurred and I ended up tearing it trying to get my head through. So, I'm stuck with trying to fabricate something else! I'll figure it out, it's just a little irritating having just that little bit of neck showing. It's been my experience that part of the magic of cosplaying is maintaining the illusion that you are the character you are portraying. Kids especially are astutely aware of things that are off (like neck showing) and will focus on that like a pack of dominant chickens pecking out things that are different from themselves (or their perceptions). I once had a spirited debate in costume with a little girl that I couldn't possibly be a dog because dogs didn't talk.

image.jpg

I beg to differ, young miss!

I've accepted that the suit won't be perfect, that things will need to be constantly repaired or adjusted, and repaired, and repaired.... I can deal with that. But part of my type A personality requires me to fix all of the inconsistencies that exist, or do my absolute best. Why? Some might ask? I don't know. I'm not an attention "hound" (ha!) nor am I a narcissistic prat who needs the worlds focus on me constantly. I just want a kid to say, "I met a ninja turtle today!" And have the pics to prove it to show their friends.

Anyhow, this week, I will start airbrushing and post pics of my progress.

I bet if you do some craft foam for the neck and maybe hide the seam in some neckskin folds, or maybe use some caulk to smooth the seam, and paint over it, those kids couldn't tell. I feel like it would be better for the neck to be joined with the torso, but if you find a good way for it to fit together with it being part of the head, then run with it. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't thought of craft foam and using caulk to fill the seam. I'll give that a try and post some pics.

I've used caulk as a crack filler on thicker foam, but not on 2mm foam. I figured rather than make you my guinea pig and spend money on it, I'd try it out real quick for you. And you can try it if you like the results. The caulk I use is water soluble before it cures, so it's easy to thin, smooth out, and clean up. Also once it cures, it's sandable and paintable. Not bad.

Though it'd be fun to see what it would look like textured (dabbing with a wet washcloth) and then smooth (scraping a credit card across it). The textured partended up being a bust. It didn't come through the paint well. I didn't have green, so I tried a variety of colors.

Gloss blue

Satin White

Flat Black (Plasti Dip)

I'm sure if the textured part was thicker it would have looked better. Also, if some more time was spent doing some sanding, it would have smoothed down some of the seam better. another though it that the foam doesn't stretch so you'd have to make the neck big enough to fit your head through and it's possible you wouldn't want to have it that loose.

P.S. sorry to hijack your thread.

No worries on the hijacking! This is awesome! Thanks a lot for trying that out. This definitely gives me some ideas on how to proceed. Is that piece that you made fairly flexible?

My big issue is that the area of neck that needs to be covered is very small (this is a picture from the rear, obviously). If I could make some sort of neck warmer, that would probably suffice.

neck.jpg

I might be able to get away with doing something very simple because in retrospect, the shell will be covering much of the neck. Maybe i can even find some heavy cloth that I can attach to the back and drape it down over the exposed areas. I'll have to do some experimenting.

In other news, I lined the inner portion of the shell with the same 1/4" foam and am preparing to paint it. Figure I'd go with a reddish brown or tan mixed with latex to make the "skin" consistent with the rest of the costume,. Still need to do some research as all the photos I have found don't detail this part very well. I suppose it's up to artist interpretation.

inshell.jpg

1.jpg

Here's a quick snap of me in the newly reconfigured, securely placed shell. I'm making some adjustments to the breast plate (thanks wholesomejoe) because he was right, it was just too big. I also want to make it a bit more organic looking,

To the paint!

Attachments

• 20150618_121747.jpg
    20150618_121747.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 64
  • inshell.jpg
    inshell.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
I twisted it a bunch, did the wavy wave, flexed it, no change.

It wasn't until I folded it flat 180 degrees that I felt it collapse a bit, like when folding a piece of paper, and then it created a wrinkle. I did that a bunch and ended up making an elephant skin kind of effect, but no cracking.

For breathability, and since it's a small area, your cloth idea may be better.

The costume is looking good!

shellfront.jpg

Well, it's getting closer. I trimmed the breast plate substantially, need to repaint the front and attach the cod piece to the rear shell.

Attachments

• IMG_20150626_145222.jpg
    IMG_20150626_145222.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
I forgot to mention! strapworks.com is absolutely fantastic I ordered a "grab bag" (the first one was free, the other was $5) I can't believe the stuff they sent! I will be set for life with all the nylon straps I will ever use for every costume in the future. The stuff is amazingly cheap too.

I'm so excited this costume is almost done!

Pics tomorrow!

turtleattention.jpg
The nearly finished product! I'm so very happy with the way this is turning out. However, I say nearly finished because I still have a few tweaks to make to finish it up.

I call this pose "Leaning Buddha"

turtlefront2.jpg
The breast plate still needs some finishing work. I call this pose, "Buddha clenches his butt cheeks"

turtlehang10.jpg
Tried a "Hang 10", a bit difficult due to only having 3 fingers.

turtleout1.jpg
Love this pose, entitled, "Buddha's Rod is bendy"

turtleoutback.jpg

turtleoutside1.jpg

Overall, it's coming together really well, but is a real pain to get off. Spandex and sweat do not a good combination make.

I made the staff out of 1/2" pvc and a foam cover that I will eventually paint brown and place caps on. Thought about a naginata... needs to be con safe.

[video]https://youtu.be/4S5xyxjzlXo[/video]
Here's the turtle in motion!

BTW... I am officially changing the name from "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" to "Terrific Middle-aged Ninja Turtles"

wokka wokka wokka!

Thanks Arktic! I appreciate the comment.

Looking at the suit, I see so many upgrades I want to do to it already. Need to redo the front chest piece. I need a better connector to attach the breast plate to the rear shell. It could use a couple more coats of latex and maybe bend the upper portion of the shell inwards a bit.

I've been looking at conventions to go to with it. Halloween is going to be a hoot this year. With the suit on, I definitely need a handler...

sideturtle3.jpg

Attachments

• 20150628_111920.jpg
    20150628_111920.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
I've been eyeing the Hulkbuster next... probably should finish the Thing first. :)

Last edited:
The Dark Side of Donatello suiting...

20150807_113233.jpg

Hello, I'm Donatello. My suit is comprised of 1/4" upholstery foam, liquid latex, green paint, hot glue and rubber cement, EVA foam and fabric. As you can imagine, it gets very HOT. I mean, sauna-suit hot. The breathability factor is zero. This isn't by design, of course. There are all sorts of cooling systems out there that can assist in keeping someone cool. The problem is, it doesn't keep you from sweating.

FB_IMG_1439103679100.jpg 20150807_113304.jpg
The suit is pretty flexible and allows me to do a lot of different things. However, it also limits my senses. Not being able to touch or feel anything through the suit makes holding on to anything a real trial. More on that in a minute. Vision was severely limited because the slit I was supposed to see through ended up being covered with the fabric that was my mask. Every time I took a breath in, the slit would open a little and I could see again. However, I had to continually take a deep breath in just to see and it ended up being a flap of sorts. This has been corrected now, but definitely a reason to bring a emergency repair kit with you wherever you go.

You'll notice at the bottom right of the photo, the foot wrap is beginning to become loose. This was a serious problem later on because I couldn't stop to tie them back on, what with having only three fingers. Luckily, I had a handler. ALWAYS have a handler. They will save your turtle butt big time.

The little fellow in the green turtle shirt holding the sword was the reason I was at the hospital that day. That's Angelo and he has kidney cancer. He had one removed when he was smaller, and is currently kicking cancer's ass with chemo. This is very hard on him and he was scheduled for his next session about an hour after I left.

20150807_114257.jpg

A big part of turtlesuiting is everyone and their brother, sister and cousins, aunts and uncles wants to take a picture with you. I love taking photos with people because not only does it increase the awareness of your event, charitable or otherwise, it also brings a smile to people's faces. What's not to like about that? Well, I'll tell you. I spent a lot of time taking group photos, one on ones and glamour shots standing in silly poses. I did it mostly because Angelo, my main reason for coming to the hospital, got a kick out it. The lady in the black shirt in the front and the one in the purple shirt to my left were there to make sure I didn't breach any HIPPA privacy laws. Believe it or not, there are some people who do not want to be visited by a turtle, ninja or other wise.

If you decide to wear a costume to the hospital to entertain the kids, whatever you do, don't just show up. Contact the marketing department and ask for a liaison to help you out. They usually have someone that can help you do the right thing and get to where they need you to go. Around holidays are especially a good time to go, namely, Halloween or on the eve of a big movie (like The Ninja Turtles). But it certainly isn't necessary.
20150807_114213.jpg

The glee is obvious on Angelo's face and I was very happy to be there. Looking at these photos after the face made me realize that there were several issues with the suit that needs to be addressed. First, my neck is showing. While not visible from the ground, it was pretty obvious from pretty much every other angle that the fleshy tones stood out from my latex green exterior. I need to come up with some sort of neck cover to fix this. Next, I need some sort of microphone built into the head with speakers. People just couldn't hear me. And, worse yet, I had a hard time hearing people. So, my sense of sight, speech, hearing and touch were severely compromised.

20150807_114451.jpg

That darned staff was a real pain to carry. It only weighed about 1#, but when you have difficulty holding on to anything when your hand has been forced into the vulcan salute to fit the shape of the glove, it takes a real toll on the muscles in your hand. I regretted carrying this around because I lost control of it several times, even though I had a death grip on it. It also just got in the way a lot and I couldn't really hug anyone.

I don't want to sound like a whiny baby. I just want to point out some things that need to be considered before my next outing.

20150807_122738.jpg

This is a photo of my about 15 seconds after taking off my mask. The gloves I was wearing aren't equipped with any drain holes so they were full of my... how can I put this quaintly... my sweat. I couldn't lift my arms any higher than my elbows or a deluge of effluvience would have cascaded out and drenched those standing near me. Likewise my feet, although open on the bottom, allowed all the sweat from my torso and lower extremities to funnel downwards. Wearing a suit like this is physically draining and if you do it, be sure to drink a protein shake and an electrolyte laden beverage afterwards or at the very least water.

I love kids, love trotting around in costume entertaining them and acting like a clown. There are a few things I'll remember the next time I put on this suit.

I hope this helps you during your outing as well.

Grimwood

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back