Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Things I need to upgrade after PAX:

I tried to do a low immersion dye on her pants (my specialty, and you can see a bit of a low immersion effect), and I tried to dye it in a way that doesn't set the dye properly so a lot of it washes out. I apparently did it so wrong I did it right. I've NEVER had a dye set so well, and so it's way darker than it should have been. It'll work for now, and I'll go home and lift the dye and do it right with diluted amounts, since this apparently won't work for me.

My boots were made entirely from scratch with materials costing only about $55.00 (brown basketweave wool for the outer, brushed wool twill in cream for the inner (it was softer than the felted wool), and cork leather details with wool felt interlining and EVA foam soles, both of those were materials I had on hand). I am very happy with the look of the boots except that the silhouette is more Ugg than PoZu. I have enough to try again so I'm going to go home and make a few felt mockups. I think I know where to adjust my shaping, and making the first test pair out of the real fabrics helped me figure out a few of the tricksier seaming parts.

I'm planning to make my boots myself too, so I'm really glad you're posting about it! Do you think you'll be able to post a pattern for the boots? And how did you do the EVA foam soles?

I've never dyed silk before, so could you explain low immersion? I'm going to use the stonewashed crepe de chine, but I'm not really looking forward to dying it. I'm pretty nervous about messing up the color:facepalm

Thanks harmonyisarine, I'm glad the bracer worked out. I'd love to see a photo :)

I'll make sure to post one when I'm back! that seam idea was a serious bracer-saver for me.

I'm planning to make my boots myself too, so I'm really glad you're posting about it! Do you think you'll be able to post a pattern for the boots? And how did you do the EVA foam soles?

I've never dyed silk before, so could you explain low immersion? I'm going to use the stonewashed crepe de chine, but I'm not really looking forward to dying it. I'm pretty nervous about messing up the color:facepalm

If you can wait until next week I could have a few photos of my progress with the shoes. Like I said, the shape is more Ugg but it's easier than the fully shaped version will be (if that version works! XD) This is actually the way I made my first basic boots, which is how I had a pattern to work off of for these boots. I'd recommend doing the tape cast now just to get your size and basic forms. http://harmoniccosplay.deviantart.com/art/Leather-Boot-Tutorial-271777474

Dyeing is fun! My biggest suggestion is to DYE TEST FIRST. I did not, I thought I knew better, and look where it got me. XD Make very sure to keep your ratios the same between water volume and dye amount, or the test doesn't mean much. I use Dharma's instructions but I didn't bother to cook the dye bath for this one, using hot tap water was sufficient (my tap runs at 140 degrees F, though, which is almost perfect for a lot of acid dyeing). If you mess up you can lighten silk dyes with a diluted peroxide bath, or use RIT color remover. Either of these will mess up the silk fibers but that's okay for this project.

Low immersion dye is just a fancy word for free form tie-dye, basically. You put the fabric in a smaller container than it really needs so that it all stays crumpled up, and when you stir it you encourage knotting and crowding. This allows the dye to more fully penetrate some areas than others, which gives a nice inconsistent look. I used it in a Korra cosplay I have because it looked like water. There's lots of tutorials but my basic method is: Scrunch my fabric up, shove it in the bottom of the too-small pot, and pour just enough (fully mixed and diluted) dye over it to cover it. I stir rarely if ever for the length of the dye bath and then rinse and wash as normal. The way you crumple it makes different effects, just scrunching and crowding is the most random and good for the pants, where letting the fabric twist and knot made long skinny lines in light and dark that worked well for the wrap portion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds really neat! Now I really want to see pics of your wrap dress and pants.
I will definitely do test pieces for the dye! I did a couple for my wrap dress, and was sooo glad I did!

Finished my daughters boots. Went from a generic brown UGG style to a somewhat Rey looking boot. My daughter was very excited when she came home from school to see what Daddy had worked on all day. IMG_6493.JPGIMG_6497.JPGIMG_6506.JPGIMG_6507.JPG

there are some pics and info about how I did mine over at:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1126977

I used 6-32 machine screws, but being in the UK I guess you would have to find a metric equivalent of that size.

Hi Redwillow, sorry to bother you again, I think I must be extra stupid, but how did you actually attached the fixing to the light? Did you just glue it on? I'm still having trouble with this, everyone seems to have done this so well and I'm still fumbling around, you can certainly tell I'm a complete novice at this!!!! Kind regards, DidiUK

The housing was done with the white pipe. Before i put that on the light i drilled a hole in it, then after the housing was on the light i used gorilla glue to attach the helping hand end to the hole in the housing.

Hi all, I'm trying to finish my Rey costume for Pax East this weekend. Will post pictures later of my costume! Anyone else attending?

Also, random tip if anyone is having trouble keeping their arm sleeves up in place- I bought a tube of GE clear Silicone at the hardware store and painted that around the top insides of the sleeves. Works great!

Same way you'd weather a sandtrooper. Lots of dry brushing on and rubbing off of sand and brown colored paints. I used cheap 50 cent paint from Walmart for this. Spent $2 on the 4 colors. Matte finish tried to replicate what I saw in photos of the staff. You kinda pat the paint on let it set up a little rub off in spots. Then add another layer. Repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was just released !!! A bonus about the costumes will be soon available on ITunes, and they are talking about Rey's scavenger look !!

I hope it will be available one day on youtube... because it's seems like only American can purchase this digital version for now (with exclusive bonus) :rolleyes

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the staff I made for my girlfriends Rey costume. She is only 4'11" so its not as tall as the screen used one.
It's PVC pipe. It's hard to see the distressing and rust in the picture, but it looks great. Just like the close up
shot used for the posters. What do you think? I know not screen accurate, but I did not want to spend the big
bucks on the 3D printed one.

IMG_0175.JPG

And here is the Rey blaster I painted up for her. Hers is the top one the bottom one is mine.

Reyblaster.jpg

If you mean Dressing the galaxy, Yes i saw it today. It had some shots of her in the full scav outfit. But nothing earth shattering in it. It is only around 6 minutes and about the costumes in general.

To sew the dharma fabric for the head wrap should i just use a long straight stitch? Or is another stitch better?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back