Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Still experimenting with casting goggle clips, it's quite addicting.

From this:

26090643006_3bc8bd3464_n.jpg

To this (real rust):

26315902315_3d4dd4e6bb_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job on the rust, very authentic.

i just noticed that her goggles in the star destroyer have the fender washer on the side, but the goggles when she comes outside do not. Also the outside goggles look more narrow on the top between the lenses.

I would guess that in the star destroyer she is wearing hero goggles with a working light, probably with metal parts so the washer is needed to support the weight. Outside are probably stunt goggles where the light is probably not metal, for comfort during filming. Just a guess.

:)

What did you all wrap your staffs with? And what is the screen accurate fabric for the staff?

Contec, I've started making the belt bag too. Did you need to add seam allowances? The lid is the most confusing part right now....ah, well I guess that's how you know you love what you're doing!

What did you all wrap your staffs with? And what is the screen accurate fabric for the staff?

Contec, I've started making the belt bag too. Did you need to add seam allowances? The lid is the most confusing part right now....ah, well I guess that's how you know you love what you're doing!

For my staff i used some extra leather pieces that i had from my goggle /shoe build and some fabric pieces from my shirt/pants build.. Used
hotglue and wrapped them around piece by piece. Then did some weathering on it.

I added some explanation to this Beltbag pattern. The pattern has seam allowance already in it. The thin lines are seam allowance and the "dotted" lines are sew lines.

pouch pattern copy1 by Conny J, on Flickr

In the past few pages I've seen people asking about silk broadcloth and another silk from a not-Dharma site. I do think either could work, but I saw a faint nubbliness in the pants that will be absent from both weaves. It's not got the slubs and heft of raw silk, but it does have a sort of shallow texture to it. So far, an abused crepe de chine is the closest I've seen to Rey's pant fabric (http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/crepe-de-chine-16mm.html?lnav=fabric_silk.html). It's a little less shiny and a little more textured after it's been washed and dyed, and I plan to do a bit of angry ironing to it at the end which should decrease the "pretty" aspect of it a bit more. It's what I'll be ordering to try, so I'll report back with results.

I used the Dharma stonewashed silk crepe de chine, dyed it with watered down Dharma Safari Grey (half the amount of dye suggested on the site), then overdyed with Colombian dark roast coffee, and the result is absolutely spot on. The drape and texture match the reference images, and the color I got is a sandy taupe that looks gray in some light and tan in others, just like her clothing does in the film. I still have to sew the tie onto one of the legs, but then I'll post a picture.

For the wrap and bandages, I dyed them in Lipton tea, but the resulting color was too warm/peachy. So I'll be overdyeing that with the Safari Gray as well. Hopefully it'll turn out as well as the pants did...

I am looking for a pattern for the head wrap and what yardage people have used? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a very inexperienced sewer :)

Jo's tip for the day: :p

I've been making a few of the leather strap sets, and I thought it might be helpful to post a handy tip. :)

One thing I see a lot of from peeps when they are costuming and working with leather, is that often times they just straight cut it and that's it.

To really finish the piece and give it that nice completed look, it's best to use an edge bevel. They are available at Tandy leather or online for less than $20 I think.

IMG_2846.JPG

It's all in the details baby!

Jo you might want to try and take a piece of wood and rub the edges of the leather....it gives a nice finish to the edges also. For less $$ too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Dharma stonewashed silk crepe de chine, dyed it with watered down Dharma Safari Grey (half the amount of dye suggested on the site), then overdyed with Colombian dark roast coffee, and the result is absolutely spot on. The drape and texture match the reference images, and the color I got is a sandy taupe that looks gray in some light and tan in others, just like her clothing does in the film. I still have to sew the tie onto one of the legs, but then I'll post a picture.

For the wrap and bandages, I dyed them in Lipton tea, but the resulting color was too warm/peachy. So I'll be overdyeing that with the Safari Gray as well. Hopefully it'll turn out as well as the pants did...

I dyed my armwrap test piece in coffee, and I was very happy with the result. Splotchy, and both grey and brown.
Can wait for pics of your pants! I didn't want to buy the palazzo pants, so I'm making mine and have had trouble finding a silk.

- - - Updated - - -

For my staff i used some extra leather pieces that i had from my goggle /shoe build and some fabric pieces from my shirt/pants build.. Used
hotglue and wrapped them around piece by piece. Then did some weathering on it.

I added some explanation to this Beltbag pattern. The pattern has seam allowance already in it. The thin lines are seam allowance and the "dotted" lines are sew lines.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1648/26286299931_3e59e59971_c.jpgpouch pattern copy1 by Conny J, on Flickr

Thanks a lot, Contec! This is perfect! I just couldn't figure the lid out. I'll post pics of the bag as soon as I finish. I'm using this perfect canvas I found at Hobby Lobby.

Good morning everyone! I'm following since thread since TFA came out and I would like first of all to thank everyone for the amazing work you all done!
I'm a member of the LSWCC (Luxembourg Star Wars Collector Club) and currently working on my Rey costume. It's almost finished, apart from dying the fabric and from the goggles that I ordered from Kristen...

As we have a convention in Luxembourg next Saturday, I'm trying to get some temporary goggles done. My problem is, i don't know how to do the clips Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!

I am looking for a pattern for the head wrap and what yardage people have used? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a very inexperienced sewer :)

Have you made your tunic yourself? I used the same patern for my head wrap, only deleting the henley slit in the front, making the body slightly longer and adding long (VERY long) sleeves to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Jo's tip for the day: :p

I've been making a few of the leather strap sets, and I thought it might be helpful to post a handy tip. :)

One thing I see a lot of from peeps when they are costuming and working with leather, is that often times they just straight cut it and that's it.

To really finish the piece and give it that nice completed look, it's best to use an edge bevel. They are available at Tandy leather or online for less than $20 I think.

View attachment 613598

It's all in the details baby!

Absolutely true! The edge beveller is a must-have. It truly completes the look of your cut, and allows for a much more finished look. :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back