Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Shouldn't rub off
what happened was I tried it on a test piece to check the color and later when I rubbed it with a damp cloth I could see dye on the cloth. It wasn't exactly like the dye was coming off the leather, but I was concerned about dye rubbing onto other fabric if it got wet. I tried some water based polyurethane satin finish on it, just on a whim and it sealed it up very nicely, so i think i will be using that on the belt after I get it dyed.

Here are a few pieces I recently finished.

rey-props.jpg rey-blaster1.jpg rey-doll.jpg rey-knife.jpg

I made the pilot doll with a skeleton from pipe cleaners so it has posable limbs and torso.

Blaster finish is silver rub n buff and i'm pretty happy with the results, but it was tedious to get it applied and it took awhile to dry. Plus the 3d print took a lot of sanding and filling.

@usajdm
Im trying to figure out the size for my goggles and the eye holes., Would you be able to tell me the size of your bubble lenses?
View attachment 605652
Also , has anyone figured out the size for the Goggle string holders? On my first measurement i made them 2" long and 10/16 in height but then the goggle would almost wrap around my head so i lowered the size to 1" 5/8 and 1/2 " Don't know it its right..

Hope this helps...
image.jpeg

Thanks Its great. I was compelled to keep working on my goggles without waiting for your reply. Because my green sunglasses was smaller than i thought, i had to change the size of the lenses. Turns out now that my smaller size for the eyes are pretty much exact the same size as your lenses:lol

For anyone that wanna use the template i made for my goggles :

Has everyone been using the same pattern for the belt?
After I made it with those dimensions the straps seem kind of... Thin? in comparing it to photos? I'm a pretty slim girl, and the 2.5 inch height in the middle of the belt that rests at the hip seems small. The straps coming away from the larger portion of her belt seem like it's more than an inch in photos. I could be totally wrong, but before I cut into this leather, I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks as well. :) Thanks, guys.

- - - Updated - - -

First it needs to be enlarged, then you need to "Tile" the belt pattern file when printing it out. It's a setting in the print dialog box. It prints it out in pieces and you can choose the overlap so you can tape them together.

If you don't have it already, download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader. It's free. Use the attached file. I enlarged the pattern and converted it to a PDF and removed the color so it wouldn't waste ink. When you print it, in the print dialog box, click on POSTER. Then you'll see the TILE function. Tell it to overlap at least 1 inch so you can use a glue stick and glue the pieces together. I taped it on the front and glued it on the back. This belt is about 37" long if you print it at 100%, including the end straps that fold back on itself, but you can scale it up or down as needed. I printed it, put it together, then tried it around my waist to see if I needed it bigger or smaller, then judged how much to scale it. I had to print it and put it together 3x before I got it how I wanted it.

Don't forget to add extra leather on the side where the buckles are so you have something to fold back over the buckles to hold them on.

View attachment 605645

Thank you! this was very helpful! I did as you instructed and it was very easy. I figured out my issue was the wrong type of file. Did you keep the measurements as is? After cutting it out and putting it up against myself the belt straps seem kind of thin in comparison to screenshot photos of Rey in the movie. She's bigger than I am, so in reality this belt should seem larger, not smaller... I'm conflicted in messing with the measurements. Does anyone else have photos of how it turned out with these measurements? Thanks in advance!

Kendra, those cords look more like it I think, with some weathering like you said.

Redwillow, those look great!

Thanks for the pattern, Contec!

Kerrty, I actually made the strap ends a little thicker than the template because they looked thin to me, too. I can always trim the leather down. Better to have too much than to little. Whatever size D-rings you use, I figure make it 1/8" narrower. I think they look 1" in this picture. I made the width of the middle part 3", too.

VF2.jpg

Well I made the belt for my wife yesterday. She needs to work on the pouch to put onto it...have enough leather to make another belt so might make one to sell...if anyone is interested maybe can work something out

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458567474.336490.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you made it as two separate pieces? I'm kind of confused, because someone said the Rebel Legion said the belt had to be two pieces, but from every picture I've seen, it's one piece.
ut it from one solid 3"wide piece of leather. When I say "upper belt" and "lower belt" I'm using those terms to distinguish between the part that wraps round the smallest part of your waist, vs. the part which drapes down a bit over your hip. But it's still one piece.

Look at this photo:

12791130_10208337629854695_766369908130286947_n.jpg

you can sort of make out the lines that I've drawn on the leather. After I had it all drawn out on the leather, I sliced into the leather from each end, but stopped before actually splitting it into two pieces completely. There is about a 5 or 6 inch part in the center where the "two halves" are still joined together.

Then after cutting, I wetted the leather in the center and bent the two sides of what will become the "lower belt" and allowed it to dry.

1930450_10208340786453608_7122535060173970419_n.jpg

See? One piece of leather, joined in the center, and the lower portion is wetted and bent downward to let it fall on your hip.

kristenhenry70, I see now. Thanks for posting the pictures! It would be easier to cut it as one strip, but I have leather that is already dyed, so I'm not sure if wetting it to shape will work. Do you know if wetting/shaping works with dyed leather?

I was going to use the template that division 6 made that has the end pieces already angled and cut it out that way.

ReyBeltLeathersml.jpg

I'm looking at ordering the Boots cotton crepe bandages from the UK (it looks closer to what Rey wears onscreen than what I can find at local Walmarts. The ACE bandages just don't have quite the right texture. Yes yes, I'm picky. :p )

How much (or how many) should I get?

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Cotton-Crepe-Bandage-BP-7-5cm-x-4-5m-_1125255/

Not sure how much is needed, but I'll jump in on it with you when you order.
Maybe we can save on shipping if we order together.
Robert

I've found that 6 yards (when the width was 2 inches) was enough to cover one arm (I have long arms), so in theory each one of these at 4.5 meters by 7.5 cm (almost 3 inches) should be more than enough to cover one arm, and possibly enough to cover both. I'd get a few extras though personally. In fact I might just do that, since these look good. :D thanks for the link!

usajdm - I think a friend is sending some to me, but if I end up ordering it, I'll throw a lot in with you. :)

kelliwise - Your welcome! Someone else posted it a while back, but I'm going through my checklist of things to do and came across the arm wraps.

Has everyone been using the same pattern for the belt?
After I made it with those dimensions the straps seem kind of... Thin? in comparing it to photos? I'm a pretty slim girl, and the 2.5 inch height in the middle of the belt that rests at the hip seems small. The straps coming away from the larger portion of her belt seem like it's more than an inch in photos. I could be totally wrong, but before I cut into this leather, I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks as well. :) Thanks, guys.

!

I modified the dimensions quite a lot, actually. Since I ended up making the belt twice LOL.

Anyway yes, I also thing the 2-1/2" width in the center is too narrow...that's why I made mine 3". That made it so the upper part of my belt came out at 1-1/4" wide, and the lower part came out at 1-3/4" wide, which I think is just about right.

- - - Updated - - -

I just cut and dyed the belt and used an overall size of 3 inches with 1 1/4 upper and 1 3/4 lower. It seems right and I think that is what Kristen used also.

yes indeed... I did the exact same and liked it.

kristenhenry70, I see now. Thanks for posting the pictures! It would be easier to cut it as one strip, but I have leather that is already dyed, so I'm not sure if wetting it to shape will work. Do you know if wetting/shaping works with dyed leather?

I was going to use the template that division 6 made that has the end pieces already angled and cut it out that way.

View attachment 606109

Wetting dyed leather will work just fine.. :)

Of course you can lay it out like the drawing, but having done that the first time and then having done it the other way the second, it is not only much easier to do it as a straight piece and bend, but it is also much more conservative with your valuable leather.

What I would do is cut it out like his drawing from paper instead of your leather--and don't worry about the end details. that way you can check your lengths and see what you will need.

The "lower" portion will be the longest, so once you know what that has to be, cut a 3" strip that length. then you can draw out the "bottom" portion on your leather, and then draw out the "upper" portion right above it, making it the length that you need it to be. then do your cutting and wet/bend the lower part into place.

Really either way that you want to do it is fine in the end. I just found the wet/bend method easier.

If you do decide to wet/bend, it's helpful to use your hole punch and punch a hole into the leather where each of the slits will end in the center. that way you won't just have a slash end in the leather--which can tear over time. instead you'll have those slits ending in a round hole, which will resist tearing.

Once I knew how long my "bottom portion" was to be, I measured in from each end the right amount so that I would have my "middle portion", and I punched a hole there, so I had two holes in the leather, about 5-1/2 to 6" apart from one another, and 1-3/4" from the bottom of the leather. Then I split the leather from each of those holes outward toward the end of my leather strip, forming the "two halves" if that makes sense.

I could have just cut it, but like I was saying, the round little hole resists tearing better.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back