Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Any guesses on materials?
I'm thinking the grey part is wool of some sort. Also am I the only one annoyed that they have the figure in the same colors as her old outfit and this one is very obviously grey?
Can hardly wait for the blu ray release so I can get proper references.

I threw this together for about $40 and an hour before it, for fun, to see the film again today. It's a good test of what main parts I got wrong. Undershirt should be a light grey not white for example but it's hard to tell in the figure art which was my only reference. The grey in the film is definitely lighter than the jacket I could find.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450519271.829007.jpg

yes, looks like grey wool to me too. I think the bracers are the same material as the vest and it looks like the other arm wraps are under them. The pants look darker, tighter and longer with a spilt on the sides at the bottom.

I agree. Definitely appears to be wool. Look closely at her knees as it looks like they are padded with the ribbed type material on the shoulder and bracers. I'm seeing it for a 4th time tomorrow. Keep looking at her outfit and hair now that I've seen it a few times.

well her blaster if you wanted that is based on the same gun as han solo blaster which has one of the largest threads out there but all you need to know is it is a c96 mauser if you're interested because I noticed it.

-Jusitn

technically the only c96 part on this blaster is the grip, and it is at such an extreme angle to the rest of the blaster that it's unlikely they put a shroud around a c96. It's most likely the prop was 3d printed and only used the grip design from the mauser.

Sorry if this has already been asked.......

Were is everyone getting their leather for the bracer? I don't have any experience with leather work and really don't know where to began. TIA!

Sorry if this has already been asked.......

Were is everyone getting their leather for the bracer? I don't have any experience with leather work and really don't know where to began. TIA!

I think a lot of people ordered it online, but there's a leather store chain with locations all around the US called Tandy Leather. You may have one nearby. They also sell leather at the Hobby Lobby here. The scraps are thick enough for the bracer of you can find the right color. Bags of scrap are only $9.99 here. It's a great deal if you find the right bag! :)

Hey

Ive been watching this post for a while and wanted to say a big thanks to everyones comments as I have loved reading them and they have helped me put together my first attempt at the Rey costume. The only thing I will be keeping from this costume is the boots and the rest I will be making again from better patterns and materials. This was just put together quickly for the movie launch and I can't wait to make a start on the real deal. I have already ordered a tone of fabrics from UK supplieres to compare.
Star%20Wars-1851_zpsgoqlhreh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Star%20Wars-1927_zpsiyxocul7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3 parts trial to 5 parts error, lol.
My fabrics were also all from my stash, so I have no idea their fiber content. If you bought the real deal stuff as listed on the exhibit, you'll need a whole different mix anyway.

I did enjoy getting uneven colors by not stirring and by leaving parts not submerged in the dye bath to get that used universe look. I also took drops of liquid RIT dark brown and sprinkled it undiluted on the fabrics while they were hot, but before I rinsed. Made for great stains that don't smell like coffee forever ;)

I ordered from him earlier today too! :) His cuffs are some of the best I've seen yet.

detenten and Jen Tate - Well done on your costumes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome advice from everyone and I thank you for your help in creating this!

I am still not please with my wraps. I got the bubble gauze and I feel like the look is perfect. Even in zooming in on the high quality photos the fabric weave is the same, the unfinished edging is the same, and the fraying is the same. However it does not flow like hers at all. Hers seems heavier and more drape like. The bubble gauze tends to stiffen itself out and poof out instead of pull itself down. I'm going crazy trying to figure out what's best to use! I've spent at least 15 hours shopping for different fabrics for this alone!
12359961_10156419017030093_3339246327802143556_n.jpg

Last question, how does one get this JJ staff?

Last edited:
Whew boy, jumping into this kind of late! So many pages to get through, haha! I have a thing about not doing costumes until after I've seen the source, but I decided to go ahead and order the boots the morning of release day, because, better safe than sorry, right? And then I saw the movie and was like, yep, totally doing Rey's outfit.

Or outfits, rather. I LOVE the vest outfit and am anxious for more photos to come out. I was also beyond stoked to see she wears the same shoes with it!

I don't know that I'll have much to contribute to this, since you guys have done SO much research work already - and you are AWESOME for doing all this. It's so super helpful and even though I'm kind of overwhelmed starting this costume, it'd be a million times worse if this thread didn't exist. So THANK YOU!

I'm still making my way through the thread, so this may have been answered recently, but... Has anyone found accurate-ish pants lately (like, ones still in stock)? I might make them from scratch but I'd be happier to mod an existing pair, if I can find them. I've done a bit of poking around but figured it didn't hurt to ask. :)

Just wanted to share my final build picture for the premiere. I did the tunic way before I realized the wrap wasn't completely tacked into the seam. I think my pants are fine, minus some good dye, but I'll be redoing the tunic at some point. I also returned the kohls boots I wore (they fit my feet terribly) but I did order the Po Zu boots yesterday! Cannot wait for those. I loooved the movie, but I don't feel like I can go into that without spoiling things so here are my few pictures. I kept getting called Princess Leia.

1458442_10153352840157945_8468543539484468065_n.jpg1604445_10153352840227945_6668200086454251996_n.jpg

EDIT: I too have also ordered a cuff from Kevin. It's really reasonably priced, and he really knows what he's doing with leather. While I do not. As shown by my pitiful cuff. Womp womp.

Just wanted to share my final build picture for the premiere. I did the tunic way before I realized the wrap wasn't completely tacked into the seam. I think my pants are fine, minus some good dye, but I'll be redoing the tunic at some point. I also returned the kohls boots I wore (they fit my feet terribly) but I did order the Po Zu boots yesterday! Cannot wait for those.

I came into the thread late but have seen po zu boots mentioned a few times, is that a brand or an rpf member or something?

I came into the thread late but have seen po zu boots mentioned a few times, is that a brand or an rpf member or something?

Po-Zu is a Portuguese company that made the original shoes she wears in the movie. They originally discontinued them, but due to interest thanks to this group and division6, they're being offered once more. The particular type she wears are called Piper. http://po-zu.com/products/piper-v-dark-brown?variant=8243253635

They come in European sizes, but offer super handing sizing guides, and cost, including shipping to the states, about $215. Those here who've bought them have loved them, and I cannot wait to get mine! I'm a size 7.5-8 in shoe, and I ordered the 39. I'd rather them be roomy and have to wear thick socks than them being too small.

EDIT: I also saw your post about the staff. JJ Griffin makes 3d print kits, which you could probably cast in a high impact resin if you want to get physical with it. His kits are pretty reasonably priced too.

Po-Zu is a Portuguese company that made the original shoes she wears in the movie. They originally discontinued them, but due to interest thanks to this group and division6, they're being offered once more. The particular type she wears are called Piper. http://po-zu.com/products/piper-v-dark-brown?variant=8243253635

They come in European sizes, but offer super handing sizing guides, and cost, including shipping to the states, about $215. Those here who've bought them have loved them, and I cannot wait to get mine! I'm a size 7.5-8 in shoe, and I ordered the 39. I'd rather them be roomy and have to wear thick socks than them being too small.

Thank you so much for the link and information that's so perfect! I already know I'm size 38 in european size boots, which is convenient. They look comfortable too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back