Pixels (Post-release)

It's getting bashed because Adam Sandler is in it and that automatically turns people against the film. I bet had anyone but him been in it that it'd be getting better reviews.

It's getting bashed because Adam Sandler is in it and that automatically turns people against the film. I bet had anyone but him been in it that it'd be getting better reviews.

I dont have an issue with Adam Sandler. I find him pretty funny actually. But to each their own i guess.

Pardon my ignorance, but why does everyone hate Adam Sandler?

I haven't seen any of his movies since Happy Gilmore, he just seems to be unpopular in Hollywood as most of his movies don't do as well as they could and all the reviewers are against him. Even the ones that make money get panned bad. I think nearly every one of his films got a razzie or got put up for one. Then again alot of good films have gotten razzies too.

I just saw Pixels and I loved it. I got every single reference being that I was one of the kids spending all my quarters at the arcade! Critics are just gunning for Sandler, but he wasn't bad in it at all and it delivered exactly what it promised-80's references, music, style, humor, and video games. Don't always believe all the reviews and if you still want to bash it just to seem cool...lighten up, you don't actually have to go see it.

My guess is that the dislike of the film comes from two different avenues.

First, people don't like the premise and/or find it unoriginal (e.g. the Wreck-It Ralph references). They're unhappy with the rehashed/also-ran approach that studios are taking to films, and view this as just another lame cash-in on brands.

Second, people HATE Adam Sandler. I haven't watched a film of his since the Waterboy in the last 90s, but what I've heard is that he really hasn't evolved his schtick at all. And while those of us who were in high school and college when his first two comedy albums came out found that stuff hysterical back in the day, we've grown up and no longer find it that funny. Sandler, on the other hand, hasn't grown up and has basically just continued doing his thing. I think he's also caught some serious flack for the Ridiculous Six development stuff where Native American actors walked off the set due to the humor he employed. Basically, I think folks are just friggin' tired of him.

I really do think had they gotten a different cast it might have done better but there's also the fact that a lot of the target audience of teenagers don't give two hoots about anything older than them so they'd think the old games are lame to start with. I agree that aside from a few films Sandler hasn't changed at all in the last 20 years when it comes to his stuff. All his movies are cookie cutter crap written around him being in the film.

people HATE Adam Sandler. I haven't watched a film of his since the Waterboy in the last 90s, but what I've heard is that he really hasn't evolved his schtick at all. And while those of us who were in high school and college when his first two comedy albums came out found that stuff hysterical back in the day, we've grown up and no longer find it that funny. Sandler, on the other hand, hasn't grown up and has basically just continued doing his thing. I think he's also caught some serious flack for the Ridiculous Six development stuff where Native American actors walked off the set due to the humor he employed. Basically, I think folks are just friggin' tired of him.

Watch 'Click'. That's the only Adam Sandler movie I've seen since his early ones that I've liked. As is the case with Will Farrell and Jim Carrey, I like him best when he does serious movies (for those other two actors, I'm talking things like Stranger Than Fiction, The Truman Show, and The Majestic). When they're "doing funny" it usually tends to fall flat for me. When they're doing dramas that are punched up with funny moments -- like real life -- I seriously fall in love with them.

I plan to see this one at some point. If I don't catch it in theaters, I will definitely buy it on DVD or watch it on Netflix or some such. I figure it'll fall somewhere in the middle of the funny<===>serious spectrum, for a Sandler film.

--Jonah

The sad part is Sandler has proved that he has range by the few semi serious parts he's had like in that Punch Drunk Love movie he did that got good reviews, he just seems to prefer to play morons.

The sad part is Sandler has proved that he has range by the few semi serious parts he's had like in that Punch Drunk Love movie he did that got good reviews, he just seems to prefer to play morons.

I don't think that it's so much as his fans prefer to see him playing the moron. Sadly for Sandler, the number of people who are still fans of has gotten much smaller since the peak of his career and it's getting smaller every year. As the one article stated, if he was smart he should start transitioning to different kinds of roles before it's too late, if it isn't too late already. Smart comedic actors like Robin Williams & Tom Hanks did this, Steve Carell is doing this and have taken on or taking on more serious roles while others like Chris Pratt and Ryan Reynolds are starting to move over to the action star type of roles.

I don't think that it's so much as his fans prefer to see him playing the moron. Sadly for Sandler, the number of people who are still fans of has gotten much smaller since the peak of his career and it's getting smaller every year. As the one article stated, if he was smart he should start transitioning to different kinds of roles before it's too late, if it isn't too late already. Smart comedic actors like Robin Williams & Tom Hanks did this, Steve Carell is doing this and have taken on or taking on more serious roles while others like Chris Pratt and Ryan Reynolds are starting to move over to the action star type of roles.

From what I've heard, he's tried his hand at this and has gotten decent reviews in the past. The thing is, either the scripts aren't coming to him, or he just has no interest in doing that sort of thing as a regular gig.

I've seen some of his attempts at being more than himself, most notably Punch Drunk Love and even though it, apparently, got good reviews, I thought it was one of the most boring movies I ever saw and I normally like seeing actors stepping outside of their usual roles. Anyway, if he's getting the scripts for more serious roles then he's an idiot and his agent either needs to tell Sandler to start taking some of these roles to try to revitalize his career before it completely tanks or he (the agent) needs to ask for a new client because he's going to end up starving because Adam Sandler is a dead end so will his career if he continues to represent him.

i actually liked JACK AND JILL ( Al really hit home , and he pulled off his NICK NOLTE impression perfectly ) al was paid to lose his mind and did it beyond words :) .

Click , i hoped that he woulda had an oscar nod for that film , sure it was funny but come on , that whole scene where he was broken emotionally that actually required depth .

Blended , ok ill give you that one cus no one had any clue wtf was going on in that film besides the bella thorne fans , lets just be honest here.

pixels , if you are going to hate on him for being THAT GUY AT THE ARCADE YOU GREW UP WITH then your parents failed bringing you up ; i personally liked it granted i laughed every time someone got Derezzed cus i was actually praying they got permission to use either TRON or CLU in the film :) if they kept the whole pacman scene top secret that woulda been the best thing in the film NO ONE WAS EXPECTING ...

but as is the norm today the best part of the film ALWAYS HAS TO BE IN THE TRAILERS
:facepalm
which is the only reason i dont watch anything besides the first trailer for a film (looking at you GENISYS.....WTF :facepalm)

latest?cb=20110506170939.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a dumb, silly Sandler film. But I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
I did not find it to be the horrible hot mess critics are calling it out to be.

....and I'm no Sandler fan.

I enjoyed this movie very much, Great cameos by 80s characters. This movie is much better that FF4 and MI4 that are the latest movies that i seen.
Great acting and it makes me wanna play the old game again.

Did anyone else notice that Dan Aykroyd was in the 1982 scenes and then the character was drinking vodka from one of Dan Aykroyds real life "Crystal Head Vodka" bottles.
To me it was like "so that's why Dan was in the movie....to sell his vodka bottles."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Head_Vodka

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back