Aries 1B studio model found intact

surely an important piece but that price is totally absurd. considering the final cost i can't really say if this is really an investment or a waste of money.

Last edited:
The previous owner was a teacher who used it in his art class (according to the guy they interviewed just prior to the auction). I'm still surprised it was "unknown" to the public all these years.

I honestly thought it would go for more. Edmund sold a TIE Fighter for $350K. The 6' Enterprise D from Next Gen/Generations went for $500K. I figured this would be in that class, especially given that certain fans of the film are guys like Paul Allen and Peter Jackson. Personally, I don't "get" the appeal of collecting costumes that are mostly off-the-shelf items. Yet they do sell. So, whether you collect spoons, baseball cards, or Ferraris, the market sets itself......

Gene

ps - more photos soon. I promise....

The previous owner was a teacher who used it in his art class (according to the guy they interviewed just prior to the auction). I'm still surprised it was "unknown" to the public all these years.

So none of people who took his art class had ever seen 2001 before or since?

- - - Updated - - -

What did the Nostromo go for after they fixed it up?

I honestly thought it would go for more. Edmund sold a TIE Fighter for $350K. The 6' Enterprise D from Next Gen/Generations went for $500K. I figured this would be in that class, especially given that certain fans of the film are guys like Paul Allen and Peter Jackson. Personally, I don't "get" the appeal of collecting costumes that are mostly off-the-shelf items. Yet they do sell. So, whether you collect spoons, baseball cards, or Ferraris, the market sets itself......

Gene

ps - more photos soon. I promise....

the big question is if this prices could be increased once the owner has the intention to sell it again. investment is intended to buy something that has the potential to double or more the value over a certain period of time. i don't think that you can ask more for something like this in a couple of years.

the big question is if this prices could be increased once the owner has the intention to sell it again. investment is intended to buy something that has the potential to double or more the value over a certain period of time. i don't think that you can ask more for something like this in a couple of years.

Well, I think the question is more WILL the buyer sell than when will the buyer sell. Some people buy with the intention of selling quickly (flipping). Others go in with the best of intentions, only to get in over their heads financially or have their tastes change. Still others limit themselves to certain key pieces that have some sort of meaning to them, and those are the people that retain an item for a long time.

I've seen big spenders at other auction houses go through this. But I've also seen many of the high end pieces (i.e.: Paul Allen's collection, some of the Christie's Trek pieces) go into private collections and stay there. I suspect this is one of those items that someone is going to retain. I'm basing that on the price (it would be hard to turn a decent profit if they just wanted to clean it up and flip it), the nature of the item, and its scarcity.

Gene

ok. i understand. I had those thoughts on some items too and still have. but when i changed my mind i was lucky enough to sell them with profit. you must consider that you can keep and enjoy something only until you finish in the grave. nothing is forever.

Thanks for the pics Gene and yes, it's going to a good home (I really have to go to L.A. now, no more excuses:D) Eager to see the new pics.

Great to see the auction!!! So glad it's in good hands. Next time I'm in the States I'll make sure I go to the Acadamy. What an amazing piece of history!! So glad to all you guys for the updates & amazing pics. Just to see this model after almost 50 years in its current condition is incredible.
Thanks heaps.
Dave

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back