R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy

I spent the day after Spock died at a robotics tournament with my son's team and at one point I looked around and saw a gym full of 12-17 year old nerds and geeks- boys and girls of many different races, supported almost entirely by their parents and volunteers (though many corporations and organizations like NASA donate $$) glowing in beautiful happy geekdom as they competed with robots they had worked on for months, some nearly a year.

It hit me that when I was their age there was nothing in science this cool for kids to be involved in... but our generation grew up on Star Trek and Star Wars and icons like Leonard Nimoy and the Space Program inspired us to want more hands on involvement, not just for us, but for our kids.

As it turns out, my son's team won the Excellence Award and they are going to Vex Worlds in a month... I've never seen him as excited about anything he's done as he is about his success in mechanical engineering.

It felt somehow like perfect closure to know that the first character that had really opened my heart and eyes to the fascination of logic and science had planted a seed back when I was my son's age that was moving on, but his legacy lives on, propagating in a whole new generation.

Thanks for sharing this. What a great way to celebrate the man's legacy.

It was LEONARD NIMOY who has died, NOT SPOCK, a fictional character.

It was Nimoy himself who said: ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 51GRMBGYHNL.jpg
    51GRMBGYHNL.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 231
I'd read another article that said that Shatner DID go to LA, but made it there too late for the funeral, which was at 9:30am (he got there 2 hours later).

I'm quite certain that Leonard would have wanted Bill to do the charity event and not stress about making it to the funeral, given that they're asking for people to donate to charity in leiu of flowers, etc.

It's a non-issue.

What matters I think is the focus on his life and the celebration of his most famous character that will be one for the ages, part of a work of fiction that
has altered the course of human history for the better by inspiring so many people around the world as a glimpse of what could be.
Maybe that sounds like a lot but I think it is so.

As a kid i was teased being called "Spock" for liking Trek, space and science. I even wore the blue Star Trek windbreaker you got
from the AMT model kits! LOL I still have the science patch from it. Though I was not insulted by that namecalling for some reason. :)

Not really about Nimoy, but one of my favorite costumes I saw at a Dragon Con a few years back was a guy in black slacks, a blue sweater (with cardboard arrowhead safety-pinned on,) ears taped into points with scotch tape, and he was carrying a TV remote... :D

No , I'm not , I value friendship ! .
If my comments have offended you ,I'm sorry but I stand by my friends in all circumstances, and I have, even at my best friends who died in a car crash last year.

Then you don't understand the function of a charity ball wherein the donors pledge money to see/meet/listen to a presentation from a notable person. What about that responsibility to the donors, the charity, and those that benefit from said charity? It's not hard, think about it.

Then you don't understand the function of a charity ball wherein the donors pledge money to see/meet/listen to a presentation from a notable person. What about that responsibility to the donors, the charity, and those that benefit from said charity? It's not hard, think about it.

Live Long And Prosper

Dozens of people judging him without fully knowing any of the circumstances. He could be hurting and dealing with all this emotionally in his own way. And then he has to deal with all judgmental pricks, as many bombarded him with mean tweets.

Lowbrow publication NY Daily News posted this article and actually tagged Shatner. He then tweeted the following.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8632/16503836568_0aeed003a5_o.png

Now that's pretty cold to see...

Really, all of this is only the Shatner and the Nimoy families' business.

All that really should matter is that "in life" they were pals and that certainly appears to have been the case:

My opinion is given all of Nimoy's charity work he'd not mind since it was for a good cause. This is a good reason i don't get deep into fandoms. Also anyone notice the ones in here causing the issues are all noobs? Maybe they could use a good talking to about trolling long time members.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back