32'' Millennium Falcon photogrammetry.

Some more work on the sidewalls.
This is from select 66 highest quality photos I have (sharp no depth blurring, at least 3000 px resolution on the wider side, known focal lengths and cameras).

Attachments

• 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 259
imurme,

here is the top ortho view you wanted. Two versions - the bare model, and with textures. This is a new reconstruction, done in Smart3DCapture, the most precise yet. It should be pretty accurate, but I still wouldn't use it for more than reference. You'll have to figure out the outer edges (I didn't clean up the surplus polygons, and the textures spill over them).

Chris

Attachments

• Falcon_Top_Bare_Model_Faceted.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 263
  • Falcon_Top_Textured.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 272
Thanks, LrdSatyr8.
Yeah, the starboard engine area is problematic. I have the fewest good quality photos of it (though I do have some that I haven't used yet).

You mentioned you have some hi-res photos. PM me if you're willing to share. :)

Not to worry though, all this is going to be much better in the end (though even this is more that I hoped I would be able to get - I could use this together with the known dimensions from the MR Falcon to make very accurate plans). I have many more tricks up my sleeve. :)

Chris

Thank you for posting these, they will be very helpful...

I will compare them to my plans and see how they line up...there's a few areas that have been difficult for me to figure out

I'm curious, are you making new solves each time with different sets of photos, or are you able to update one solve with new photos from different times....what I'm asking is, can the model be continually updated with more data as you add photos or is it dependent one one set of photos? Is that possible, so that the model can be improved over time?

btw, a few posts back you mentioned that you've noticed asymmetries in the model, what did you see? just interested in anything that might make the plans more accurate....

I will let you know what I discover using these renders, thanks again!

imurme

imurme,

here is the top ortho view you wanted. Two versions - the bare model, and with textures. This is a new reconstruction, done in Smart3DCapture, the most precise yet. It should be pretty accurate, but I still wouldn't use it for more than reference. You'll have to figure out the outer edges (I didn't clean up the surplus polygons, and the textures spill over them).

Chris

Just a small test. Working on getting rid of distortion and extracting as much detail as possible. I am quite happy with this - it's probably as good as it's gonna get.
I will almost certainly have to do the ship in parts, unfortunately, because processing and memory requirements go through the roof very quickly.

Chris

Attachments

• D1.jpg
    D1.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 261
  • D2.jpg
    D2.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 251
  • D3.jpg
    D3.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 199
  • D4.jpg
    D4.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 234
imurme,
I generally have to do a new solve each time, unfortunately. But they are getting better over time, because I am adding better photos as I unearth them, and figuring out which ones work the best. I am still creating the workflow, so most of what I do for now is just testing.
As for the asymmetries, the two most noticable ones are the quad gun mount (the trapezoidal plate), and the whole engine quadrant. Both are rotated counterclockwise by a small amount.
I am pretty sure this is not an error in the solve caused by lens distortion. For the gun mount it can be easily observed in the photos, but the engine quadrant surprised me a bit.

Chris

I wouldn't mind seeing the reference pics myself. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you end up with your 3d model here how close you can get it to being complete and useful. I would especially like to see any good bottom reference pics since that seems like the hardest to find.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back