"BATA" HLMF / HRMF Decals 90% done (95% hasbro parts HRMF build)

Looking good, RAG! Gotta get this updated data out there for everyone... Done!
Latest updates on the HRSM website, link HERE to download:
1. Decal Tracker spreadsheet showing all discovered decals (best to date) Multiple tabs show all locations of each design found.
2. ZIPPED folder file of all the collected images (less a couple) of the decals to date - including some not present on the 5-footer any longer!
3. Initial collection of placement diagrams made using previously published images; if the owners of those images want me to include credit info in the images, please let me know.

Thanks again for all the contributions from the RPF community (and beyond) that is making this survey database possible. Enjoy!

Regards, Robert

Item #133 is one that Imurme & I have been working on deciphering and this is the best I've been able to come up with so far (from a wonderfully detailed image posted on the One Drive archive of the 2013 Indianapolis Star Wars Display by ???). I was working under the assumption that parts (bits really) of the original decal have 'flaked off' or were never fully printed, being it is so tiny, and that the text is center-justified.

JET COMPENSATOR
CAUTION
???????????
MANUAL CONTROL VALVE
ACTIVATION OF PRIMARY
HYDRAULIC SYSTEM TO
PREVENT MOVEMENT

Feel free to make your own interpretation.
Regards, Robert

Attachments

• no_133.jpg
    no_133.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 129
I have determined an interesting point regarding Item #103 (yellow & black 'RESCUE' block.) IMURME had discovered this missing decal using period images, located on the starboard docking hatch's upper inner plate (see post #166.) While I have been cleaning up my images archive & Decal Tracker info, I had assumed I would map this decal in it's original position. However, I found that instead, there was decal residue located on the PORT inner hatch plate detail at the bottom, indicating that the two inner hatches had been swapped & the port one inverted. This is evident when comparison is made between the inner hatch orientations, which have a bit of asymmetric detail along one edge so you can see if the plates are 'upside down' or not. So, currently the 'original' starboard inner hatch is on the port side, upside down. Both are now unique as they are showing different degrees of missing parts.

Obviously, these are removable to facilitate access to the lateral armature mounting points, and at some point they were swapped (perhaps many times... being basically identical it doesn't really matter.)

One thing, however: Does whether anyone has a period image showing the Port docking port? I'd like to confirm if possible whether both sides had the tattered red block centered on the top octagonal, textured plate of the 'outer' port hatch. As the Port docking port is missing both the top and bottom textured plates, and the Starboard one has this decal detail, it would be nice to confirm if the ILM modelers treated both sides the same.

Last edited:
Minor Update: I believe I have ID'ed item #89 which appears to be the 'MARINES' text from Microscale sheet #72-79, the same source as for the 'VMA (AW) 533' overlay & the small warning triangle + striped border square decals. It seems all they did is trim a bit off the top and bottom of the MARINES to make the decal strip. You can still see the "N" quite clearly, however and the spacing of the rest of the design looks to be a match.

Regards, Robert

This is really impressive. Thank you for doing this. I'm definitely going to download this when you get closer to 100% done. If you do decide to sell decal sheets I'll definitely buy one.

This is really impressive. Thank you for doing this. I'm definitely going to download this when you get closer to 100% done. If you do decide to sell decal sheets I'll definitely buy one.
Hey, don't wait to download the image & tracker files, they are pretty complete, certainly good enough for anyone doing the decals to get 97% there. As you can see, I'm still tweaking the data as we go with the occasional 'breakthrough' but Retired and Imurme are both working up (or have worked up) decal artwork. Imurme in particular is being very precise as he is measuring out the sizes of the originals (using contextual clues), info that I hope to include in future versions of the Tracker spreadsheet to aid those wanting to do their own artworks. I figure if the 'encompassing dimensions', aka 'the fit box', is provided for each decal used, then it would be a snap for anyone to generate accurate decals as they need.

In short, open-source!
Thanks for watching! Robert

Hey, don't wait to download the image & tracker files, they are pretty complete, certainly good enough for anyone doing the decals to get 97% there. As you can see, I'm still tweaking the data as we go with the occasional 'breakthrough' but Retired and Imurme are both working up (or have worked up) decal artwork. Imurme in particular is being very precise as he is measuring out the sizes of the originals (using contextual clues), info that I hope to include in future versions of the Tracker spreadsheet to aid those wanting to do their own artworks. I figure if the 'encompassing dimensions', aka 'the fit box', is provided for each decal used, then it would be a snap for anyone to generate accurate decals as they need.

In short, open-source!
Thanks for watching! Robert

Oh wow, I didn't realize that it was at 97% complete. Is there any scaling that would need to be done or is it ready to go? I've got to look up how to print decals now, a problem I don't mind having.

"New", keep in mind that the files hosted on my club's website are not graphics artwork - it is a Decal Tracker (spreadsheet) that lists info about the individual decals applied to the original 5-footer (such as description, source decal, location & an 'ID number'.) Using the same ID numbers as the Tracker, I have compiled images of each described decal in the Images archive, also found on the website for download. I am gradually updating the Images archive with 'locator' images and 'placement maps' so not only is the decal documented but also it's location. In essence, we are documenting all these ~150 or so decals as a reference for anyone building a replica of the original Millennium Falcon wishing to accurately replicate the decals as well.

The hope is that someone will put it all together and have a production "run" of the decals. However, there are several factors in play. One, I suspect that few actual full size (studio scale) 5-footers are being built so a production "run" of a original size replica sheet wouldn't be feasible. Two, since all the available MF "kits" are of the 32-inch filming model (which had no decals applied, AFAIK), decals sized for those kits would technically be inaccurate (and certainly be lacking much of the correct placement context because of the 'greeblie' differences.) These factors make it more difficult to have an actual decal production run since any "5-footer" version model will essentially require conversion or scratchbuilding. It is possible that a new Bandai MF will BE the 5-footer version and so the research will be immediately applicable to that kit & hence opening the opportunity for someone to create an 'aftermarket' sheet - assuming Bandai doesn't themselves avail of the research!

So, when I say "~97% complete", I mean the research has a firm determination of the specifics of 97% of the known decals applied to the original MF. Any 'artwork' is currently up to the individual, though RetiredAdGuy (the OP) has indicated he hoped to get some sized for the 28" Hasbro 'toy' printed for those that wanted to use 'em - just as he did on his. Watch for updates to the Tracker and Images files as we go forward, but don't wait for the 'final' version of the data since it may never be completely finished... plus, you know how things can disappear from the Web!

Kind Regards, Robert

BTW, I plan on doing a version of the decals that uses Aurebush for the stenciling & custom graphics for my 'rationalized' Mill Falcon model. I plan on 'converting' the graphics into designs that are similar in appearance to the original 'easter egg' decals but with a more 'authentic' SW universe look (aka 'functional' markings.) My goal is to build something to represent a "real" MF as if it had actually existed as other than a filming model or a filming 'set'.
R/ Robert

Last edited:
Ok, my misunderstanding. If Retired guy gets around to making that decal sheet I'd be interested in one, I'm building/collecting parts for a Hasbro MF myself. It would be cool to have a scaleable and printable file, or maybe a couple files that are common scales. I'm going to download the latest now.

Are you EVER going to complete this project, i.e. a new updated, accurate Millennium Falcon Decal sheet and make it available?

Yes. WHEN??
Currently I just got the 5th proof sheet from a printer. Not happy with the results. MY pro wide formate 18yr old color proof printer does a better job.(Used it for size and color tests)

So take a guess as to were this leads. I will print and hand trim these soon using MY pro wide formate 18yr old color proof printer. I am currently working on the decal position maps.

The final version will NOT have every decal. Size and readability is the issue. I won't be including the names of the prop makers or some of the small text warning labels as they do not look good when micro printed.

The final decal sheet set will include the following:

One set of decals for the Hasbro© Legacy Millennium Falcon
One set of decals for the Hasbro© Rebel Millennium Falcon,
Two sets of decals for the MPC/AMT Millennium Falcon
One decal position map based on the 5ft shooting model
Multiple sheets / black / dark gray / orange / hash marks of slightly different scale. There are over 200 of these on the Falcon. Just an fyi:)
Instruction use sheet suggestions for the best results along with suggested tools etc.

The decals for the MPC/AMT Millennium Falcon will not be a complete set as some of the decals are just to small to print at 1/72 scale. They will have all the major decals.

Why has this project taken so long? I have MS and have vision issues. I can look at a monitor for about an hour, to an hour and a half before my eye(singular) goes.
I can't tell WTF i'm looking at. Usually takes an hour or two before it settles back down
This is the reason I'm retired from advertising. Get out the violins. Not looking for sympathy:facepalm.

None of this would have been possible with out the major input from members of RPF. A BIG thank you to all involved! (You know who you are)

As far as cost goes I'm just looking to recoup production costs, so these will run some were in the 20-30.00 range and be on e bay.

Please do not ask for a set at this time. Rbeach84 gets the first set any way. i'm pretty sure he will review them here.:cool

Thanks for your patience,

Best regards,

This is an incredible resource! Thank you to everyone involved in collecting this information. I'll definitely purchase a set of decals whenever they become available. Is there a waiting list where I can sign up for these?

"Is there a waiting list where I can sign up for these?"

No. These will de available on e bay. I'm shooting for some time early Sept. I will do print runs of sets of 10.

Currently working on the decal placement map. Last thing that needs to be completed:)

Thanks for your interest.

FYI,...I have another post of what these will look like on a Hasbro Rebal Falcon if you interested

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=244579

best regards

Applied the latest data to the Survey files at the hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com website. Click on over to download the latest versions of the Decal Tracker, Insitu image archives, Placement images & (NEW!) Exemplars images.

Thank you for your support. Enjoy!

Regards, Robert

Started a second Decal ID Challenge thread in Studio Scale, found HERE. This is in hope of sorting out Item #35 from the Tracker.
Regards, Robert

no_35_x.jpg

Attachments

• no_35.jpg
    no_35.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 119
The final decal sheet set will include the following:

One set of decals for the Hasbro© Legacy Millennium Falcon
One set of decals for the Hasbro© Rebel Millennium Falcon,
Two sets of decals for the MPC/AMT Millennium Falcon
One decal position map based on the 5ft shooting model
Multiple sheets / black / dark gray / orange / hash marks of slightly different scale. There are over 200 of these on the Falcon. Just an fyi:)
Instruction use sheet suggestions for the best results along with suggested tools etc.

I was hoping for a 1/2 scale set for the DeAgostini Falcon. I know locations won't match up all to exactly since it's the 32" model instead of the 5', but I would like place a lot of them around for better detail, try to get most placed. How do the Legacy and Rebel Falcons compare?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back