SW Ep. III ROTS "Broken Heart" Theory

No planting, no foreshadowing, no hints, no explanation in the movies at any time.
So this theory is nothing but fanfiction. When a movie scene needs to be eyplained outside of the movie, thenit is the worst writing. It is very muh like explaining a joke.

No planting, no foreshadowing, no hints, no explanation in the movies at any time - all that only proves GL didn't set it up very well. It doesn't prove that GL wasn't trying to put it in there when he made ROTS.

In fact this kind of hasty construction of the storyline feels like standard procedure for the prequels. Nobody is trying argue that GL had it planned it that way 30 years ago.

Palatine could have had a force sense link with padme since he knew so long. He was basically around her all the time from youth to adulthood. So he could feel her presence with in the force. Once she died he felt it disappear like others. Kinda like how yoda felt mace " non bad ass Jedi " windu was killed. They had a link between each other.

... It doesn't prove that GL wasn't trying to put it in there when he made ROTS.

Oh, the only one who could "prove" that he tried (!) to put it in there would be GL himself. Since a movie is a finished work of art (although GL tried to disprove that) it´s a simple matter of "it is there or not". If I as the audience cannot find any substantial proof for an idea, then I cannot find the idea itself. That "hiding" of an idea can be done in so many ways on all levels in a movie, be it colours, set design, music so if I can´t find any hints at all then IMO it´s just bs and "wishful thinking". Or the attempt to read more into the elements that a movie consists of.

GL is an editor first & foremost, and that cut to Palpy's subtle grin over Padme's death is probably no coincidence. It seems odd that GL would not have any plan for Padme's death whatsoever, given that the question has been hanging in the air for 30 years. GL overlooked & got sloppy with a lot of stuff in the prequels but I'm surprised he would have gotten sloppy with that issue in particular.

I just took his grin as being happy that Vader was so angry. It would eat away at him. I remember a question in SW Insider to the Q&A thing (that Pablo Hidalgo answered) where he said that guilt could also feed the Dark Side.

Oh, the only one who could "prove" that he tried (!) to put it in there would be GL himself. Since a movie is a finished work of art (although GL tried to disprove that) it´s a simple matter of "it is there or not". If I as the audience cannot find any substantial proof for an idea, then I cannot find the idea itself. That "hiding" of an idea can be done in so many ways on all levels in a movie, be it colours, set design, music so if I can´t find any hints at all then IMO it´s just bs and "wishful thinking". Or the attempt to read more into the elements that a movie consists of.

What if somebody produced notes or BTS footage from 2004/05 backing up this theory? Does that make it legit, but it's not legit without it?

Or is it never legit if the movie doesn't suggest it, even if it WAS KNOWN to be the intent all along (unlike many SW changes)? I mean, Speilberg has spent 40 years claiming he wanted the "Jaws" shark to look more realistic than it did. Is this idea invalid since it does not look that way in the movie?

We'll probably never know. There isn't enough indication in the ROTS to prove the theory true. Even GL's word cannot be trusted on anything after the fact.

Padme was the only female character who's presence was worth anything and regardless of what killed her, she was used as emotional baggage and all that mattered to her in the end with Anakin. It's pathetic.

Padme was the only female character who's presence was worth anything and regardless of what killed her, she was used as emotional baggage and all that mattered to her in the end with Anakin. It's pathetic.

Definitely agree. The SW movies have always lacked enough female characters at all. Let alone 3-dimensional interesting ones.

But truthfully I think classic mythology deserves some of the blame for this. I think it's fair to say GL was drawing on a lot of male-dominated material. He could have done a more balanced job too but the fault is not entirely his IMO.

Padme's problems where always that she had to do what the story demanded, no matter how little sense it made.

She fell in love with Anakin because the story demanded it, even though the two actors had very little chemistry, and despite him confessing to mass murder to her. (why act surprised in the next film, you knew he had previous!)

And then when the story demanded she die at the end, she just did, even though she was in a sophisticated space hospital at the time.

I was looking at the ROTS making of book and there's a sketch in it that is interesting. I assume it was from a brainstorming session. It's Padme either kneeling or in a fetal position clutching her stomach with Yoda, hand raised as if sensing something, standing over her. The text said something like envisioning the Force flowing through Padme because of her carrying the Skywalker twins and having the highest midichlorian count ever running through her blood. So, while not canon, it could infer that the twins being born are what took all her strength away. Pretty much any other explanation would have made more sense.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back