Things you're tired of seeing in video games

I've only ever found a few FPS that I've liked. Rainbow Six Raven Shield for PC was amazing, but that doesn't seem to fall into the same vein as most of the shooters out there now. That was actually a good, realistic game.

Everything in the past 10 years has pretty much been a run and gun game with no substance. To me, almost all of them over the past 10 years are interchangeable money-making hogs with flimsy stories.

Final Fantasy has become the Call of Duty of RPGs ever since square drove out everyone who worked on the series from day one. Now they stick FF7 stuff in everything to make a buck and then spit in the faces of fans by porting the original to ps4 instead of remaking it and then complain about poor sales. I guarantee if they made FF7 again they'd be swimming in cash. Apparently the Japanese are taking lessons from the people in the US killing the game franchises. It's starting to remind me of 1983 when the entire industry crashed but instead of nintendo saving it this time it'll be kickstarter and smaller companies.

FF7 is highly overrated. Nowhere near the best FF game.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Thank you!!! It was most peoples first Final Fantasy so it gets all the credit. Exactly like how Halo was many peoples first multiplayer FPS experience and WoW was most peoples first MMORPG. Super popular, but many better games out there

Thank you!!! It was most peoples first Final Fantasy so it gets all the credit. Exactly like how Halo was many peoples first multiplayer FPS experience and WoW was most peoples first MMORPG. Super popular, but many better games out there

I've got a soft spot for the two North American SNES FF games. FF6 was a bloody masterpiece.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Easily the best of the series, it would be pretty incredible to see it redone in 3d

I'm a big fan of FF5 also, it has my favorite character/class system out of all of them

I agree i prefer all of square's SNES games but if they wanted to make a lot of money they'd remake FF7. The last lightning returns barely did better than the old school style game they put out on the 3ds that got better reviews.

Squeenix is probably holding out and seeing how FF-XV does whenever it finally releases. And they also know that Kingdom Hearts 3 will bring in the money. And the hardcore fanboys will get the FF-VII port for the PS4 when it comes out. The remaster of Type-0 is also coming out for the latest console generation and a lot of people (including me) are waiting in anticipation for its March release.

On topic, I play MMOs and at times, I feel like it's a second job. Especially when I used to play WoW, we had specific days and times to do raids and god forbid, if you were late or missed a scheduled event. It's almost like that for Guild Wars as well. Since I play competitive PvP and missing or being late for tournaments or any scheduled matches, I would catch a bit of flack from my guildmates.

To me Final Fantasy VI was the masterpiece of the series that has never been duplicated in most categories. It was also the first video game I actually went out and bought the soundtrack to. I also loved Final Fantasy VII, but pretty much since those two, the series has died for me. I played FFVIII and didn't hate it, but it definitely left a sour note of where Square was taking the series and it was essentially away from the generation that made the series a success in the first place. When I beat FFVIII I just didn't feel any sense that I had just participated in an epic adventure like I did with six and seven.

I actually haven't played FFIX yet but I did buy it on PSN and will give it a try; but all the modern FF games just don't appeal to me.
I also admit, I own an original PS black bottom copy of FFVII, as well the PSN re-release on PS3 and I will probably buy the PS4 remaster when it hits.

There`s also some recent rumors of a new Suikoden and Dragon Quest RPG game in the works so the void of the oldschool RPG may soon be filled.

Last edited:
After FFXIII I gave up on FF. I'll pay attention to the upcoming games and see if anything looks like what I used to love, but at this point Dragon Age is more like what I wanted a new FF game to be.

I think the thing I'm most tired of in games is the open world just for the sake of saying you have it. Fallout 3 and Skyrim do it closest to right, insomuch as you're let loose to go play however you want in just about any order you want, but those games are few and far between.
I think the next Assassin's Creed needs to think long and hard about which direction it goes in this respect. A more linear game with large (but not insanely huge) levels might enable them to get the series back on track, rather than trying to make an enormous open world that brings your game machine to a stall.
But then, I don't make games or run multimillion dollar companies.

Cutscenes and plot.
With RARE exceptions I really don't care about the plot. I just want to be immersed and play.
What's even worse is when they force you to watch by either making them unskippable or nesting vital information in them.

On that note also when a game has 4-5 load screens and some you can't skip.

PC games ported from consoles where the graphics are weak and the controls don't map well to keyboard.

The worst problem I had with any game in the last few years was Max Payne 3 with its constant unskipable cutscenes.

Bad enough the first time round, but the thing that immediately got me selling the game on was its so called "quick fire" mode, the never more inappropriately named "New york minute" mode, where you are supposed to just jump into the game, and as long as you kill someone every 60 seconds you keep going, but it still has the cutscenes!

How are you meant to play some fast paced action when every few seconds you have to sit through the same boring assed unskipable scenes?

Lives/Continues

After playing New Super Mario Bros. 2, I came across a sudden realization. Lives are kind of pointless now. For those who haven't played that particular game, it carries over all the standard Mario mechanics. 100 coins = 1 life. The thing about NSMB2 is that the theme of the game is all about collecting coins. With all the coin paths, the coin power ups, the golden rings that makes enemies spew coins, getting lives is so easy it's actually a challenge NOT to collect lives in a single stage. After completing four worlds, I got about 20 lives in total. I never once felt like I was ever going to get the "continue" screen. Than I figured, what's the point of lives anymore? When you die, just start at the beginning of the statge or back on the map. No one who collects coins won't die so much that they'll get the continue screen where if they choose yes they'll have to start that particular world over again.

I actually want plot and storyline in a game, that's why i'm paying 70.00 for the thing. I love these kickstarters are making big bucks off stuff the big companies thinks nobody wants. I agree with skipable cutscenes though, you'd think that'd at least be an easy option to make everyone happy. I think the extra lives thing is a throwback, just like when they stick them in downloadble remakes of games. They don't do anything but are a tradition.

I don't have that big of a problem with DLCs if they are really good and not things that should have been in the game in the first place.

I agree about the hard mode or games made intentionally hard. I generally play SP games on the normal level because I want to have fun and play out the story. I don't want to constantly be frustrated.

Another thing I don't like is the quicktime events on games where instead of fighting you "play" a cutscene by mashing the correct button they pop up.

Another thing I don't like is the quicktime events on games where instead of fighting you "play" a cutscene by mashing the correct button they pop up.

This one super grinds my gears. It takes me out of the combat and out of the cutscene, and I end up just hating the entire experience. They did this with KH2 and it was a huge step backwards in my book.

I'm getting tired of having to be logged into a live system to verify my identity before playing a video game.

I miss games you just put in the system and just played and wouldn't need to be freed of cyber terrorism to enjoy it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back