Things you're tired of seeing in video games

Missions that take all my @#*$*(% gear away!!! I'm talking to you Dying Light. It happened for the second time!
There was a DLC for Deus Ex: Human Revolution that had that. And now it comes with the game so you cannot skip it.

I am tired of games where you have to kill some giant monster and the weak spots are bright orange. The weird thing is that Dead Space started out right by having messages written in blood on the walls saying telling you how to kill the regular monsters, but then you run into some of the bigger monsters and they have the orange "shoot me" spots.

Yeah Deus ex is getting notorious for doing prequel dlc where they screw you over by taking your stuff. I'd like to see one turn those bright orange spots into points that just make the monster angrier when you hit them just to mess with gamers lol. Games that have 8 hour campaigns thanks to pvp being shoehorned in. Titanfall 2 feels like they could have done way more than they did if they'd not slapped the campaign on to make EA happy cause it was actually a good storyline. Mass effect'll be a mess again thanks to pvp.

Games that have 8 hour campaigns thanks to pvp being shoehorned in.

PVP/Multiplayer isn't the reason for single player campaigns being shorter nowadays. Multiplayer is actually not too expensive to develop, except for certain areas around network code (which is a lot more difficult today than a few years ago). The truth is that costs of development have increased exponentially. Small improvements and refinements today in narrative design, graphics and production value demand tremendous effort and manpower. (It's one reason why some AAA content is done in cheap-labor countries now, just like a lof of movie SFX.) You actually see less return on investment for each little improvement made. Unfortunately, there's no good way to stop it if you're a triple-A company; you cant' just say "this is good enough" like an indie outfit can.

The AAA audience expects more all the time, yet doesn't understand the costs involved to bring these things to market. The hard-core gamer audience can be ruthless with criticism on even small details. Nothing is ever really regarded as "OK" or "fine" - it's either fantastic or crap, which tends to make devs push until they break. There's also a limit on how much manpower you can throw into it. Since games don't have consistent, established "base" technology in the same way that films do, it's hard to just staff your way out of problems or farm out certain things that have to do with single player, if you want a good result. And since even in-development games have a "shelf life", you can't take too long either. So, whatever you can do within your 18-24 month (more or less "standard") game production cycle, is what you have to work with.

I forgot you work in the industry, i need to be more careful lol. It also doesn't help that studios also have to deal with the publishers who help fund the games where as before it was a more in house development setup like the old movie studio system so what they want to do against what the bean counters who don't know squat about gaming want are two different things. I just wish pvp wasn't in ever game these days. Honestly I'm sick of modern gamers, they all come off as spoiled brats who don't know how good they have it and act like savages. I blame the net for that and game companies with forums: if you tell a gamer you're listening your opening yourself up for stupidity. Bungie's forum is good for that. Also I'm tired of games that have characters in skimpy armor and underwear appearing when you steal their stuff. It wasn't there before you stole their clothes. I'm not big on game nudity but it's really distracting and breaks the world. At least not have it there and blur the stuff out. That said watching videos of the new Conan game with the custom genital slider is amusing as hell.

I never even heard of that Conan game mechanic until Gamespot had a story they were removing it for consoles! I said every male game must be tripping over themselves because well guys. :lol

As for game length, I'd much rather play a really great short game then a longer game that isn't polished or finished (KOTOR 2).

I forgot you work in the industry, i need to be more careful lol.
Haha. : )

It also doesn't help that studios also have to deal with the publishers who help fund the games where as before it was a more in house development setup like the old movie studio system so what they want to do against what the bean counters who don't know squat about gaming want are two different things.
There's another myth! ; ) I actually learned a lot when I switched from development to producing (for a publisher). I discovered (gasp!) that they're NOT actually evil and that there are some very ineffective devs out there who think that they shouldn't be beholden to things like commitments, schedules, budgets and deadlines. Certainly, game development is uncertain, but there are SO many devs out there that simply can't do a project plan to save their own asses. (And just as often as not, they have no clue what will actually SELL.) Then, when they realize ONE DAY before the deadline that they're not going to make it, they don't act very apologetic about it, as if the publisher should've been expecting it. (Never mind that the publisher, in anticipation of the delivery milestone, has sunk time+money into marketing that will now be wasted.) Once, I had a dev that wasted three out of eighteen project months on a five minute sequence (that wasn't even integral to the game). They were essentially making a simple low budget 2d shooter, but in their minds, it was going to be the new Mass Effect. Oh, the stories I could tell. And really, beyond the very high-level financial people that aren't connected to the development anyway, most publisher employees are VERY enthusiastic gamers themselves. I'm probably moving back into development now, but 4+ years working as a publisher taught me the value of actually getting things done and delivering.

Honestly I'm sick of modern gamers, they all come off as spoiled brats who don't know how good they have it and act like savages.
There is that aspect of it. Sometimes, they are spoiled and (very) entitled, but there are cases where the devs/publishers aren't communicating effectively. I found that if you tell it to people straight, giving them hard-fact numbers about a situation, they tend to calm down and be understanding. Don't give them any BS to call you out on and things work much better- even when they are complaining about things like DLC costs. If they're complaining about costs and expecting something for free, I usually lay it all out: "Here are the numbers of what it cost to make and what the schedule looked like. Now tell me why it should be free and 50+ people shouldn't get a salary for several months of work." It usually works because you're taking the mystique out of it and killing a lot of misconceptions.

Also I'm tired of games that have characters in skimpy armor and underwear appearing when you steal their stuff. It wasn't there before you stole their clothes. I'm not big on game nudity but it's really distracting and breaks the world. At least not have it there and blur the stuff out.
The nudity thing has been a topic I've had to deal with as a producer. On the one hand, I'm all-for "equal opportunity" sexualization when appropriate (such as in a Conan game, because it fits the novels and world) but completely against it in a serious sc-ifi setting. (I produced one game that had a "serious" story where I had to go in heavy handed and cut out a lot of stereotypes and scifi "boob armor".)

I never even heard of that Conan game mechanic until Gamespot had a story they were removing it for consoles! I said every male game must be tripping over themselves because well guys. :lol
The Saints Row games had something similar. It was pretty funny.

As for game length, I'd much rather play a really great short game then a longer game that isn't polished or finished (KOTOR 2).
I actually discussed the bugs of KOTOR2 with the game's director when I helped produce another game he was working on. He strongly suggested using the fan-made patches, which apparently restores a lot of unfinished content and fixes a lot of the problems. (Haven't tried it yet though.) I prefer short games these days simply for lack of time. I barely have time to finish a FIVE hour game.

The nudity thing has been a topic I've had to deal with as a producer. On the one hand, I'm all-for "equal opportunity" sexualization when appropriate (such as in a Conan game, because it fits the novels and world) but completely against it in a serious sc-ifi setting. (I produced one game that had a "serious" story where I had to go in heavy handed and cut out a lot of stereotypes and scifi "boob armor".)

Wonder how you would have handled working with the art team on Mass Effect 3. To quote one of their artists from the official artbook from the game,

"EDI had to be sexy."

I love the old game Chrono Trigger for SNES, yet is was a pretty short game. Then a game like Metal Gear Solid 5, packed with tons of things to do, yet the story wasn't even finished and they had to get it shipped out.

Wonder how you would have handled working with the art team on Mass Effect 3. To quote one of their artists from the official artbook from the game,

"EDI had to be sexy."
Yeah, but on one hand, the ME series has never really felt super-serious even if some of the storylines were fairly epic. (I've really only finished the first one. Been meaning to finish the others.) They profiled it right away as a scifi-geek fantasy, sometimes bordering on veiled satire, almost in the same way that Star Trek Enterprise did with T'Pol, that it can be forgiven. (The game I was working on we said from the start "this is basically a futuristic NASA mission")

Tell you what Bungie's never been good at communicating ever since it left Microsoft, we joke on the forum that the only reason Halo ever worked was MS probably kept them on a leash. For a company famous for interacting with their fans they're always hush hush and even pretty much canceled all the old stuff they'd do like Bungie day. Then there were the development issues with Destiny which were a lot like the ones with ME3. Mass Effect always felt a bit over the top like Star Trek meets a generic action movie and the first 2 did it really well. EA's good at ruining franchises: their 2 shills with ME3 nearly sank it, they nearly sank Dragon Age, and the slaughtered Dead Space.

Tell you what Bungie's never been good at communicating ever since it left Microsoft, we joke on the forum that the only reason Halo ever worked was MS probably kept them on a leash. For a company famous for interacting with their fans they're always hush hush and even pretty much canceled all the old stuff they'd do like Bungie day. Then there were the development issues with Destiny which were a lot like the ones with ME3. Mass Effect always felt a bit over the top like Star Trek meets a generic action movie and the first 2 did it really well. EA's good at ruining franchises: their 2 shills with ME3 nearly sank it, they nearly sank Dragon Age, and the slaughtered Dead Space.

I couldn't say anything about Bungie in particular, but one problem AAA developers have is size and "approval gates". That is, when you're a company of 100+ people, it will take various depts longer to sign off on things and communication between them is much harder. This makes communicating with fans, or handling a crisis, take a lot longer as well. When one wrong posting can go viral and cost you millions in sales, you will be a lot more afraid of saying anything at all.

"EDI had to be sexy."

That's not even my problem with that game. My problem is that the "good" ending
forces you to kill EDI. Yeah she was Reaper tech, but you could have figured out how to save her.

We really need a spoiler tag for the mass effect 3 endings? They're so notorious that I think even people who haven't played the series know about it now. Timed events of any sort, it just seems lazy to constantly have timers to race against in games. It's one thing if it's part of a story like destroying a ship or something but to have them with car chases, side events and such just seems cheap. Characters who are super heroes die easily: i mentioned it before with arkham knight and shadows of mordor but these characters die so easily that it makes you want to not play the game.

We really need a spoiler tag for the mass effect 3 endings? They're so notorious that I think even people who haven't played the series know about it now.

I actually don't know and have been deliberately ignoring any info that might spoil it, despite knowing about the controversy. Just haven't found time enough to finish the series.

We really need a spoiler tag for the mass effect 3 endings? They're so notorious that I think even people who haven't played the series know about it now. Timed events of any sort, it just seems lazy to constantly have timers to race against in games. It's one thing if it's part of a story like destroying a ship or something but to have them with car chases, side events and such just seems cheap. Characters who are super heroes die easily: i mentioned it before with arkham knight and shadows of mordor but these characters die so easily that it makes you want to not play the game.

There's probably some snowflake that would whine. I'm sparing them hours of therapy. :lol ;)

Then we can find them and beat them with peanuts and red meat until they cry. Damned kids. I'm in a mood tonight thanks to idiots buying crappy ubisoft shooters instead of good and beautiful games.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back