Hylian Shield Build

Jasper hams

I'm a new member and i want to share some of my past projects.

First is my Skyward Sword flavor Hylian Shield:

A great thing about this project is there is this nice definitive easy image to pull all info from. The depth of the convex form was a little harder but with a little 'research' playing the game and a mock-up in Maya i got the measurements.

01 - 9dpqSG9.png

In hindsight i way over complicated this MDF/Styrofoam layer system.

02 - 2Up2etP.jpg

The upside of it being that when i sanded down it was easy to tell where i needed to stop.

03 - Rokn7KB.jpg

Fill, Sand, Repeat.

04 - uXG50Hi.jpg

Fill, Sand, Repeat.

05 - 64YqG6V.jpg

I wanted a nice tapered Triforce so with some more foam and filler i made a single prototype.

06 - QyXe6Lb.jpg

From this i made a silicone block mold, which happened to be the first time i used silicone so it was also a bit of a test. hard to screw up though so it came out perfectly.

07 - 7pNcrNW.jpg

Polyurethane casts came out awesomely as well, also the first time i had used polyurethane liquid plastics.

08 - badHlj9.jpg

At this point the base shape was looking nice and smooth with a layer of primer to highlight any imperfections.

09 - qyboUFQ.jpg

I started building up the boarder with some 1mm styrene walls. I had already masked and painted the center section to help me visualize how it should be.

10 - YWqbsbN.jpg

Seeing this boarder wall built up was the first time i thought 'huh, maybe this won't be a disaster'

11 - ZGSHhgj.jpg

More styrofoam to build up the boarder.

12 - LrayiC5.jpg

13 - sZdc0ZU.jpg

i clad the styrofoam in more 1mm styrene.

14 - 20IZlB8.jpg

A bit of jump here because for whatever reason i didn't take any photos. The decals to the side were nice and angular so i just built them up in a polygon style with the styrene, then filled with body filler.

I also wanted the bird symbol to be raised so i cut that out in styrene and laid that on.

15 - e2KGIUr.jpg

with some more details and primer the prototype was complete! the 'bolts' on the corners were ping pong balls cut in half.

16 - Z7dIZTE.jpg

Attachments

• 19 - n4v7EPF.jpg
    19 - n4v7EPF.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 18 - 4evbWOY.jpg
    18 - 4evbWOY.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 17 - OKKuLP9.jpg
    17 - OKKuLP9.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 79
My early attempts at a matrix mold were a miserable failure and after wasting quite a lot of supplies i decided to throw money at it and make a colossal Block mold.

I built the sides up with styrene offcuts

View attachment 416946

Then filled it with a crazy amount of silicone.

View attachment 416947

The result! it weighs a tonne.

View attachment 416948

When the first cast came out it was perfect. i couldn't have been happier. I cold cast it with aluminium powder to give it a metallic finish.

View attachment 416949

it was built up with two layers of polyurethane then re-enforced with fiberglass.

View attachment 416950

Last edited:
No idea why my last two posts' pictures aren't showing up, anyone got any idea? If i edit the posts they show up until i refresh the page.

Another go at psting the images that didn't work:

My early attempts at a matrix mold were a miserable failure and after wasting quite a lot of supplies i decided to throw money at it and make a colossal Block mold.

OKKuLP9.jpg

4evbWOY.jpg

n4v7EPF.jpg

The first cast came out great, i dusted the inside of the mold with aluminium powder to give the surface a metallic effect.

O6suZ2v.jpg

IZkloPU.jpg

nYp5kCG.jpg

Battle scarred

rWv0Axb.jpg

FncsPuo.jpg

95sfhzz.jpg

PSa9A3H.jpg

rsCWL21.jpg

New pristine look

tNtmlME.jpg

o5XBV3N.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back