Viking Shield

ToonMan

I've just started building a replica of a Viking shield. I've got all my materials dialed in except for the metal band that goes around the outside. I was wondering what is used in the prop world to replicate a band like that. Any suggestions be greatly appreciated.
17043936087897110221155426068866.jpg

Last edited:
foam sheets (2 or 3 mm). I made a skyrim helm out of black craft foam and drybrushed silver on it to give is a dark metal effect.

Is it those specific viking shields you're trying to replicate, or just make your own original Viking Shield? Because if you want to make it more historically accurate, you could do Leather rimming as metal would have been very uncommon. :)

If you're trying to replicate those shields exactly, you could try foam or even suuuper thin sheet aluminum and bend it into place. Maybe like 1/32"? Alloy 6061-T6 Aluminum Sheet w/ PVC 1 side - .032

Is it those specific viking shields you're trying to replicate, or just make your own original Viking Shield? Because if you want to make it more historically accurate, you could do Leather rimming as metal would have been very uncommon. :)

If you're trying to replicate those shields exactly, you could try foam or even suuuper thin sheet aluminum and bend it into place. Maybe like 1/32"? Alloy 6061-T6 Aluminum Sheet w/ PVC 1 side - .032
Well actually the one I'm trying to replicate is Legertha's. My daughter wants to do a cosplay of Ragnar's wife. So I was going to try to build her the shield. I was trying to figure out why watching Vikings what that rim was made of it looked like it was kind of a wrought iron but I couldn't be sure. I hear better than I see. Lol
il_570xN.4683423785_7oyw.jpg

That's awesome!
Well actually the one I'm trying to replicate is Legertha's. My daughter wants to do a cosplay of Ragnar's wife. So I was going to try to build her the shield. I was trying to figure out why watching Vikings what that rim was made of it looked like it was kind of a wrought iron but I couldn't be sure. I hear better than I see. LolView attachment 1776257
Very cool! I honestly think you could go either way. Looking at replicas that other people have made, this ETSY seller used leather, but this other ETSY seller used aluminum. Foam would definitely work too.

Make sure to post the finished result, can't wait to see it!

Blowing it up on my screen it's looking like leather with brads for that border, so I would definitely lean on the foam/ leather route. I'm very interested in where you sourced a boss, especially a metal one.

Blowing it up on my screen it's looking like leather with brads for that border, so I would definitely lean on the foam/ leather route. I'm very interested in where you sourced a boss, especially a metal one.
I bought a metal boss. I built the thing out of wood and it's really freaking heavy. So this may be a prototype
PhotoRoom-20240107_145729 (1).png

Check out Kultofathena.com for shield bosses. They have a huge selection and their stuff is generally pretty good quality.

I will post when done. Thanks!

I have it in primer. The biggest problem is I built it out of a pallet. Turns out it's way heavier than it should be. I'm doing this for my daughter's cosplay for Vikings. And the thing is like super heavy. Tomorrow I plan on testing it against the Viking ax and a bow and arrow. I'm not sure I built a prop I think I built it real freaking shield. Lol.
20240109_172441.jpg

20161022_193630.jpg

Here's one I made for my wife about 8 years ago. Aside from the upholstery tacks, it is all eva foam. To make the center piece I used a heat gun and formed it to shape. I carved wood grain into it with a dremel.

Came out fantastic. I created a shield for my daughter as part of her Link cosplay several years ago and made the same mistake, used materials that were waaaay too heavy to carry around at a Con. I think we all go down that path at least once ;)

Shield.jpg

View attachment 1785020
Here's one I made for my wife about 8 years ago. Aside from the upholstery tacks, it is all eva foam. To make the center piece I used a heat gun and formed it to shape. I carved wood grain into it with a dremel.
That looks very good. This one that I made is actually half inch plywood. The boss in the center is 18 gauge galvanized steel. The EVA foam is the outside rings. And I used my skill saw to carve the grooves in to make it look like planks put together. It probably withstand some hits with an ax. But it's not as heavy as the first one I made. I went lighter on this one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back