EP VII Millennium Falcon

We all love the Falcon but let's face it, it's technically a horrible design. For one thing, it's super easy for the enemy to target the cockpit.
I was going to say it's a cargo ship, not a military ship designed to confront enemies, but then I thought about the quad cannons. What kind of a cargo ship has weapons like that? "Special modifications?"

The fate of the quads....

DrWho Frontios Episode2 pic1.jpg

DrWho Frontios Episode2 pic2.jpg

Doctor Who - Frontios (1984)

But maybe the parts still exist in a Who collection.

I feel dense asking but what part of the quads are we seeing here?

these are parts of the component that was used to make the quad lasers on the fullscale props seen in the turret scenes. Some kind of aircraft component. It shows up a bunch of places in ANH especially, and apparently all over Dr Who as well.

It's really coming together. Whenever you're finished, or feel that the model is close enough to being finished, you should give the model to an animator so he/she can replicate and extend the shot of the Falcon in the trailer.

Sourdoh,
I definitely keep having day dreams like "I could just make this printable... couldn't I... no you're nuts, stop it." At the very least I could attempt some kind of conversion kit. But that would require a base model which is patterned off the 5' Falcon. I'm no expert on kits, but I've only seen ones based on the 32"?

Maruska,
a bit gamier than chicken, but still good.

Mvanwalks421
I've definitely thought about it. If the new trailer coming out soon doesn't have much Falcon in it, then I might just have to do something like that to help tide everybody over.

in the meantime, threw this rough composite together.

attachment.php

hey, not bad right?

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 2,573
You should seriously consider Kickstarting a kit based off of your 3d model... Sure, there would be a lot of legwork in the conversion process to make what you've got into a set of 3d printable parts (and then the production end), but honestly you're knocking out what I find to be the most difficult part of these projects: getting the initial model as correct as possible. If you do decide to pursue it and need helpers, sign me up, working on this thing could never get old. :)

You should seriously consider Kickstarting a kit based off of your 3d model... Sure, there would be a lot of legwork in the conversion process to make what you've got into a set of 3d printable parts (and then the production end), but honestly you're knocking out what I find to be the most difficult part of these projects: getting the initial model as correct as possible. If you do decide to pursue it and need helpers, sign me up, working on this thing could never get old. :)

Heh. Been working on that for a "few" years now. Always looking for collaborators willing to lend a hand. We have a pretty robust CAD model of the 5' Falcon already out in the wild and I've been working on documenting kit parts for printing. Just finished the SeaLab kit last night actually. Parts should be published by the end of the week.

But yeah, making watertight 3d models suitable for printing does up the amount of work considerably...

J.

Just finished the SeaLab kit last night actually. Parts should be published by the end of the week.

But yeah, making watertight 3d models suitable for printing does up the amount of work considerably...

J.

SeaLab 2021? If so, make sure the model has an "exploding" option. ;)

SteveStarkiller, a 5' Falcon kit would be awesome. Way out of my price range (like the 3D printed stuff for the 32") but awesome nonetheless.

Heh. Been working on that for a "few" years now. Always looking for collaborators willing to lend a hand. We have a pretty robust CAD model of the 5' Falcon already out in the wild and I've been working on documenting kit parts for printing. Just finished the SeaLab kit last night actually. Parts should be published by the end of the week.

J.

Haha I know. Always fun to see people's eyes bug out when I quote them a 3d model, and then quote them the same model now water-tight, cut, oriented and optimized for 3d printing. :lol

As for model-to-reality, I think it would take some deeeeepppp pockets. Not even the tooling and materials as much as the licensing; I don't think you could fly a project like that under the radar (no pun intended) these days, especially if it's showing up what's used in the actual film. :)

Haha I know. Always fun to see people's eyes bug out when I quote them a 3d model, and then quote them the same model now water-tight, cut, oriented and optimized for 3d printing. :lol

As for model-to-reality, I think it would take some deeeeepppp pockets. Not even the tooling and materials as much as the licensing; I don't think you could fly a project like that under the radar (no pun intended) these days, especially if it's showing up what's used in the actual film. :)

That's why my project is open source and not for profit. ; )

Is there any way to computer route this out ?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any way to computer route this out ?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back