EP VII Millennium Falcon

attachment.php

animation of this in the works...

Attachments

• test01.jpg
    test01.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 6,610
Wish this was a practical model, and I could just photograph the damned thing.

From that still I wouldn't be able to tell if it was or wasn't a hardware model. Just thinking how much cash it would take to replicate that shot with trad camera gear and railroad tracks lol. Far-out-man!

Has anyone ever done the math on whether or not you would actually be able to see the front mandibles of the ship from the cockpit views we always get in the movies? I always thought a little of them should be in view. But I could be totally off on that.

I think I determined that you wouldn't be able to see the mandible edge from the views that are seen in the movies, but just by a hair. If the camera moved forward in the cockpit up to the pilot's seats, and had a wide a angle lens, you'd definitely see them.

I made this a couple years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFAZG2CkQI

check out 1:42, where the camera enters the cockpit. You can indeed see the mandible.

but there's also this, from inside the ESB Falcon built on the Elstree stage.

attachment.php

Attachments

• falcon esb EXT view of mandible from inside cockpit.jpg
    falcon esb EXT view of mandible from inside cockpit.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 7,261
Thanks for that.

So from a complete over-the-shoulder POV shot like we see in the movies, would you or would you not see the mandibles?

One other thing I've always wondered about. When the Falcon spins, it always spins on it's axis down the middle of the ship. To someone in the cockpit this would give you a view like being on a Ferris wheel with a locked side facing carriage. Shouldn't it spin with the cockpit being the axis?

I understand there is no up or down in space, but spinning the way it does, how in the hell would you be able to spin and keep up with your trajectory at the same time? Han seems to fly on Manual so saying 'flight computers' doesn't really answer the question....But then, it is a movie--so maybe it would...

We all love the Falcon but let's face it, it's technically a horrible design. For one thing, it's super easy for the enemy to target the cockpit.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back