CC Klingon D-7

I got the D-7 and BOP today.
dscn0641mh0.jpg

I've posted this in both threads.
The timing couldn't have been better.

Scott did a hell of a job. The registration marks make this an almost foolproof assembly.

I just noticed something...what are those fork like tabs on the front part of the boom on the D-7? Never saw those before...are they some kind of alignment tabs for the command pod? Man...I love this kit! Can't wait to get mine!

Last edited:
OK I redrew some parts to be more precise, and I took Sasser at his word when he says the color placements are accurate in HIS drawing... so this is my current best guess at what the filming miniature must have looked like. :)

b_kt_d7_051607final.gif

Beautiful job on the paint scheme phase pistol!! I'm going to follow that when I get my kit.

I just noticed something...what are those fork like tabs on the front part of the boom on the D-7? Never saw those before...are they some kind of alignment tabs for the command pod? Man...I love this kit! Can't wait to get mine!

Those were supposed to be removed before the part was packed. They are the gate and vent. The brass tube takes up the center of the part, so we have to pour the resin in one side and the air escapes from the other. The resin fills both when the pour is done and we usually snap them off before packing the part in the kit. I'll have to slap Jim around a bit since he's the one that packs the kits up these days!

Scott

Do you happen to know what number you were in line? still waiting for
mine - only been three months since the first ones were shipped...so I
know I need to be more patient.

Hello All!

Well the day has come. After ordering TWO Klingon TOS Cruisers from Scott last August, showing a preliminary “test” build last November here, then having them both delivered to my home in less than perfect shape in April of this year,… Scott came through with flying colors in his replacement piece that he delivered to me yesterday!

It’s a REAL BEAUTY! And I am proud to display the beastie in the collection!

Take a look…

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-001B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-002B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-003B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-004B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-005B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-006B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-007B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-008B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-009B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-010B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-011B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-012B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-013B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-014B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-015B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-016B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-017B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-018B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-019B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-020B.jpg

2007-06-27_KG_TOS-021B.jpg

I just want to thank Scott for all his hard work and determination to get the job finished. You did a WONDERFUL job my friend!

Up next will be Richard Long’s (REL) build up of one of these Studio Beasties. It will be done within the next two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurt, which painting pattern was used on your replica?

Thank you for the interest Hiyata99. :) And Thank you Jay! :)

Scott used the Multi-toned paint scheme on the beastie. I wanted it to look like the one that sat on Roddenberry's desk for a bit. I remember it causing quite the stir when I announced it long ago since most thought the original birds were all one color. I remember the thread taking shape with disagreement...LOL. As it turned out, per a Robert Justman statement to a colleague, the paint scheme on the filming bird was multi-toned as well. I was happy to hear that. ;)

Anyway.. Scott did many paint attempts before settling on these specific colors. As it turns out, many of the pictures that shows this paints scheme get a bit washed out and the base color was somewhat of a mystery,.. even to those who claim to know better. After 10 months of trials, Scott finally nailed the color by accident. Or at least the color that we agreed it to be. We had the base color too light on the first birds. ;) Bottom line is that Scott did a FANTASTIC job and now my wait has ended. ;) LOLOL

The decals you see on this cruiser were done and colored by Thomas Sassar for Scott's cruiser kits. He probably has them available for all. The actual Klingon Text next to the emblem was actually painted on using plotter-cut maskings, including a completely white one under the emblems themselves since decals sometimes lose color in their transparency.

The second bird was just sent off to REL (Richard) to do in the same paint scheme, but with a little flare of weathering. I know, I know,..blasphemy...LOL... I am a purist at heart, well.. somewhat anyway,... but I am also into taking things to different levels for display purpose. I figure since the 1701 studio model had weathering on it's saucer, so should the klingon bird. I am very much looking forward on viewing Richard's artistic work on the second cruiser. ;)

Kurt that is simply stunning! Thanks for showing the pics.

BTW, I checked my paypal records and I actually paid for mine on Dec. 11. Sorry for the mistake and I hope I didn't get folks mad at Scott!

Kuhn Global: nice paint job!

I'm tempted to put lights in the ship as it always looks like there's noone home with those blacks squares.

I'll see how tought it is once I get mine.

BTW: what are the dimensions of your base, and what did you do to attach it? brass rod inside of ship?...

Has anyone gotten their decals yet???

I havn't gotten mine yet.

I have holding off building it until the decals arrive and the scheme for the bird has been fully decided.

Lynn

5-minute epoxy works well too, it's just messier to work with. Make sure you rough up the areas to be joined with sandpaper. Sometimes, I will rough the surfaces up with a dremel tool giving them little divots for the glue to bite into. Pin any weak or load-bearing joints with metal pins or bolts. If you want a joint that would take an act of congress to break, cut the head off a heavy duty wood screw and 'glue' it in with resin.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back