The Hound - Freaklord

Freaklord

I want to build my favorite anti-hero from A Game of Thrones. Sandor Clegane, The Hound. Here is the build up, with progressions pictures. PLEASE let me know if you see a way I can improve this costume.

Reference pics:
epitSOb.jpgoJ6g9pk.jpg

Last edited:
Build progress so far:
dTxOgXg.jpgcl09pHV.jpg

PS- I am not using this arm armor, it was a a half size mock up. But you get the idea of what the end product will look like.

I am using these supplies:
GBqtz3Vs.jpgeps26gks.jpgkorncQfs.jpgI2XtheZs.jpg

A weak Hound mask (I don'y know if I will be using it or maybe building foam into it as a prop), some old Ren Faire clothes, and some springs I will be using to make the chain mail.

This picture has the most important supplies, including leather strips, male and female rivets, leather punch, silver sharpie, xacto, stone and brass coasters, 10mm four prong round studs, and my Stiller' hammer. Not pictured? various period appropriate adult beverages.
O8VaTNz.jpg

Last edited:
The Leather:

I used some old Haloween blackout cloth, taped the edges with shiny black duct tape, and cut a simple hauberk/tunic thing. Then, I started "riveting" on 2 inch wide leather strips. I spaced the holes and guides for the studs using a plastic "template." The surface I tacked on 4 prong 10mm dome studs. There are over a thousand so far =P

pXjy91t.jpgG2YMckz.jpgpRsi1mX.jpg

8FwU6jE.jpgaXLuqSS.jpg

and here is the way I attached buckle straps, just store bought leather like strips and more "rivets"

d6z3Ny5.jpg98RJURY.jpgwtaAeCG.jpg

Last edited:
These are test shots of the "Special No.2 A SKIN FLESH" I will be using for the facial burns.
xqHHppf.jpgrjeRiCi.jpgzaeM4Co.jpg

Last edited:
I thought this looked pretty good:
5rCW9m8.jpg

But, As you can see here, the basic tunic shape creates a large gap and a "bowed out" appearance. I had to cut "v shapes" into the apex of the shoulders to reduce this effect. =( Hated to cut into it and reduce the integrity. I'll post some of those pics soon. Hopefully hard to notice.

RcFVLyX.jpgDEDux46.jpgfAN2dwJ.jpg

Last edited:
A picture of the inside of the hauberk, you can see the bent over prongs from the 10mm dome studs pierce the leather, the cloth, and hold very tightly. I had to use a bronze coaster as a backplate to get the prongs to bend over. The next pic is the boots in progress.

AsFrcub.jpgGV6V5Q4.jpg

Last edited:
Right now I am painting the arm armor I created out of foam and a freehand template, weaving chainmail out of a steel spring, and waiting for the paint to dry on the boot armor before I put it together. I will need to work with the hair, add more dirt and weathering, and test picture it later today. I am looking forward to any help you can give, either weathering advice or anything that will help me get it done faster. Thanks in advance.

ytMkT8G.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the attempt to fix the 80s shoulder pads. I wish i would have built some contour into the original design, but live and learn. I don't think it will show.

sixMgZO.jpgpSgPDyG.jpgHb7zDxm.jpgG89iOth.jpg

Also, I usually use a 50/50 solution of Tacky glue and water to seal my foam, after the heat gun. I bought the spray on a whim, to see if it would speed up the process. So far, I love the speed of spraying and drying. Once everything is painted and dried we will see if its a good choice. Anyone else use it?
pyrTLxv.jpg

I could really use your help. Let me know if you can advise me. Also, let me know if you need to know where I got any of the items, I have been keeping track...

I'm a while off from making any of this, and a pretty novice crafter, so I can't be much help...

But so far it looks great, man. Love the riveting studs.

The hauberk thingy looks great and you definitely have the looks for a Clegane, but I´d weahter the plate stuff a little more, I always use some acrylic colour with just a little water, paint the piece, let it dry a bit, and then rub it off with a cotton rug or something like that, you could also use blackwash, some stores sell colours like that.
And maybe it´s just me but I´d love to see some scretches and dents in this armor.

I took a few more pics, with make up (very hard to see) and still missing the arm armor and wig. Its coming along.

87LA7zs.jpgIgnzlNA.jpg

Attachments

• tOTWKwL.jpg
    tOTWKwL.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back