luke wilson7

Before I start, the reason for this post is for you guys to have a look at my ideas and the WIP of the build in case you want to have a go at it yourself, If anyone does, I'd love to see it finished. I was making this as a side project in my workshop but I have now had to close my business and stop renting the workshop so this project has had to be scrapped, though I took photos as I was progressing so I will upload them with captions to explain what I did and the plan.

The idea was, I wanted a drinks globe, the table type, with space for serving drinks on top as well as storage space under the globe. The globe would be in the shape of the death star and inside would be a cut out of the Imperial logo which would be used to hand glasses through/sit glasses on with space in the centre for 3 bottles. The whole table was supported by 3 casters underneath so that it could be moved around easily (It was quite heavy)

First up: Here's the quick idea sheet I knocked up (note- the globe top middle is photoshopped as I don't think this has been something ever attempted before - you saw it first here people) The images of Coruscant are there because I wanted to make the legs that went from the base up to the top of the table in the style of some of the buildings of Coruscant.

deathstardrinksglobe.jpg

The first thing I tackled was the Imperial Logo globe insert. Below is the logo itself, which was then split and printed onto sticky A4 sheets, stuck onto 18mm MDF (photo 2) and then cut out, (photo 3), and finally painted black, (photo 4).

drinksglobeimperiallogo55cm.jpg

(Also shows potential layout of bottles and glasses)
IMG_2258.jpg

First cut - needs edges sanding and paper sanding off.
IMG_2259.jpg

All cut out and painted black
IMG_2260.jpg

The next step was to construct the table.

Here's a shot of the full table before the circle (left) was cut out for the globe to sit. Note the Coruscant inspired legs and the raised ledge around the bottom to stop things falling off there when finished.
IMG_2252.jpg

Top of the table. To get the shape of the table I drew two circled (60cm diameter I believe) next to each other, then drew round them both with a gap of 4/5cm around the 2 curved sides. I was originally going to paint a second imperial logo on the right hand side to mirror the inside of globe.
IMG_2255.jpg

Close up of the front leg. These were constructed out of 3 pieces of old pallet wood, cut to shape, then sandwiched with 3mm pieces of board in between them (cut slightly smaller).
One idea I has was in the space left between the thicker boards I was going to hot glue EL wire with the battery pack somewhere underneath or on the back of a leg so that when it was rolled out at a party, the Coruscant buildings would be lit up.
IMG_2253.jpg

Another leg close-up, with some filler to cover the screw holes.
IMG_2254.jpg

Here's the table after having the hole cut out for the globe and it's had its first coat of black paint.
IMG_2261.jpg

This is pretty mush as far as I got with the build. I ordered an inflatable gym ball (60cm) which I then covered with paper maché, then cloth maché, then fibreglass resin. However, when I'd cut out the hole and put the ball inside to check the size, it was far too small.

Unfortunately, I then had problems with the business (which for the record was a furniture up-cycling business chance the need for a workshop) and so the build was never finished and due to lack of space I had to dispose of the table which saddened me greatly. Though I did keep the cut out imperial logo which I will turn into a table top glass/bottle holder as intended in the globe to be brought out for parties.

Here's what it looks like full of glasses, in total it will probably hold 18 shot glasses, 6 wine classes, 6 short glasses/tumblers/champagne flutes and either 3 wine bottles in the centre or a decanter (i happen to have one that fits really nicely). You should also note that the mdf imperial logo in the picture is sitting on the bowls of the wine glasses with the stems poking out of the top. When finished, the glasses will hang through the gaps with the bases holding them on the top.
IMG_3220.jpg

And here's a top-down view, I think it's rather pretty all full of glasses.
IMG_3221.jpg

So, that's it. As i said previously, the globe table won't ever get finished now unless I get another workshop in the future and decide to re-make it. The point of this thread was to share my idea with you all in case anyone thinks its good enough to have a crack at it themselves.

Hope you like it, and I hope someone with the space to do it decides to have a go because I would love to see it all finished. If anyone does have a go, give me a quick credit in the thread and link here.

Thanks all :)

MAKE IT AND I"LL BUY IT!

SOMEONE DO IT!

Great idea man! Love the concept. How about making it so the glasses hang upside down from the notches in the logo? Like an old school bar has the hanging glasses!

Haha, If I still had the workshop or the space at home I would have finished and kept it :p

Thanks man, glad I wasn't just thinking way far out putting to many ideas into it.

That was the idea with the glasses: 'the glasses will hang through the gaps with the bases holding them on the top.' probably just explained it badly. But yeh, the old school bar was what I was thinking of when I designed it :)

You've really gotten far with this project, you should finish it or you regret it in the long run. It would be a shame to let all that work go to waste.

-R-

Yeah I know, but as I said I've had to get rid of the table due to lack of space so i can't finish it now even if I wanted to. If i ever had the space again to do it again, I probably will just do it again from scratch.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back