This is an aspect of my build I am concerned about, do we dogidly copy the dirtying down of the original model, or do we use the techniques available now to make it as real as possible ...... Like ILM would now if asked to build the falcon. For me the falcon looks whiter with various shaded panels but compared to modern space ship models it's very subtle

This is an aspect of my build I am concerned about, do we dogidly copy the dirtying down of the original model, or do we use the techniques available now to make it as real as possible ...... Like ILM would now if asked to build the falcon. For me the falcon looks whiter with various shaded panels but compared to modern space ship models it's very subtle

IMO, its your call. Some just die to copy the model as exactly as possible down to the last speck of paint and others decide to apply a more liberal approach. I did a lot of research through dozens of MF builds and I found a lot with way more rust, grime and damage than mine. As I said I wanted a version more in line with the "hunk of junk" famous line. I could tone it down a bit or keep it as it is most probably will clean it a bit more. Check this build:

It never appeared as that is any films but a neglected almost abadoned MF will look like that. I think imagination is very important in this craft, as least for me!

Check this build:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/th_mil6.jpg

It never appeared as that is any films but a neglected almost abadoned MF will look like that. I think imagination is very important in this craft, as least for me!
i agree , just hope my painting skills don't let it down ......if you look at my attempt at the mpc it's heavily dirtied down but no tonal variances on the panels , I like yours for that reason more balanced .
that ship looks brilliant , when I look at that clip for VII it's like solo's son had found it in the desert and has just taken it up for the first time , the role is elation at getting at the controls , wish it looked like this rusted hull when he found it.....

Hi could someone please keep me informed about the sidewalls I'm looking just to do this mod and LEDs so shape ways is way to expensive for a £30 model or any advice on making them

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of my MPC Falcon. Was my first time with airbrush so be gentle with me. I had experience weathering mostly military vehicles.

[URL]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3667/11722760474_f571100947_b.jpg[/URL]IMG_1967-Edit by nenekinkin, on Flickr
[URL]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/11722648313_d8f64c3677_b.jpg[/URL]IMG_1971-Edit by nenekinkin, on Flickr

[URL]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/11722393065_5225e63678_b.jpg[/URL]IMG_1975-Edit by nenekinkin, on Flickr

I hope to do this other Falcon justice once I finish the MPC.

Not too bad SC... a little on the dark side of the spectrum. The way I did my weathering on the MPC was not to paint the entire ship in a base color first. The plastic's original color was pretty close to the shade I wanted. So I just sprayed the whole thing in a satin clear coat and started from there with dark pastel washes the dirty thinner technique to make the details stand out a bit more. Then using the airbrush I would do the rust and oil streaks. I love your background in military weathering... it's a great place to start. Just try to remember that sometimes in the SW universe, less is more! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Dave you can use a couple photo sharing sights that you can post your pictures,all you do is upload your photo's to the photo sharing site and they will give you a URL and then you would post the URL between these 2 tags.. here is a sample I use from imagine shack..What I do is take out the part that is marked and red and copy and paste what is left over to get the imagine you see below,I also make sure I leave type as forum and size I leave at full size as you can see in the picture..

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/EjRKuU.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/oyWMXr.jpg

put your url between these 2 tags

Here is a couple places you can try out for photo sharing..I use Imagine Shack as my photo sharing host..

https://imageshack.com/

http://tinypic.com/

You can also use FB for photosharing... just click on the image and then right click to get hte image properties, and copy the link shown there. Works great and its easy to set up since most people already have a FB account.

Not too bad SC... a little on the dark side of the spectrum. The way I did my weathering on the MPC was not to paint the entire ship in a base color first. The plastic's original color was pretty close to the shade I wanted. So I just sprayed the whole thing in a satin clear coat and started from there with dark pastel washes the dirty thinner technique to make the details stand out a bit more. Then using the airbrush I would do the rust and oil streaks. I love your background in military weathering... it's a great place to start. Just try to remember that sometimes in the SW universe, less is more! :)

- - - Updated - - -

You can also use FB for photosharing... just click on the image and then right click to get hte image properties, and copy the link shown there. Works great and its easy to set up since most people already have a FB account.

Thanks. I cleaned it a bit.
IMG_4727-Edit by nenekinkin, on Flickr

Thread here:
http://www.therpf.com/f11/mpc-millenium-falcon-build-231357/

That looks alot better. Not as dark and rusted. A little tip on how to make the colored panels look a bit more realistic, paint in two coats. The bottom coat in a light colored enamel based paint. Then using table salt and a very small amount of water, brush a bit of that on that coat and let it dry completely. Then paint your darker color over the top of the salt with an acrylic based paint and let it dry and set overnight. When everything is dry, rub the top coat off a bit to remove the salt and it will create a chipped paint look. Test it out on a spare piece of plastic or an old container lid to get a feel for how it will react before attempting it thou and you'll notice the difference immediately! Hope this helps bro!

That looks alot better. Not as dark and rusted. A little tip on how to make the colored panels look a bit more realistic, paint in two coats. The bottom coat in a light colored enamel based paint. Then using table salt and a very small amount of water, brush a bit of that on that coat and let it dry completely. Then paint your darker color over the top of the salt with an acrylic based paint and let it dry and set overnight. When everything is dry, rub the top coat off a bit to remove the salt and it will create a chipped paint look. Test it out on a spare piece of plastic or an old container lid to get a feel for how it will react before attempting it thou and you'll notice the difference immediately! Hope this helps bro!

Thanks for the tip and kind words. I also reworked the chipped paint look and worked a bit more with the airbrush, added a bit more rust...

IMG_4739 by nenekinkin, on Flickr

IMG_4754 by nenekinkin, on Flickr

Still a lot more to do.

Last edited:
nice effort Scarecrow. thanks for being willing to post your efforts. it encourages us all to try our hand at new things. You don't get good at a skill unless your willing to learn and improve, taking small steps.

Hey all,

With all the new stuff for the Hasbro Falcon already out there, here is yet another add-on.

This upgrade consists of 18 resin (6x 3), and 9 PE (6x + 3) parts. You get 6x resin exhaust fan inserts (2 parts each), plus 6x PE grilles, then another 6x retainer rings. As well, you get three smaller grilles for atop the docking tubes.

This will be available from the SSM store sooner than later (but not before Xmas): They will (as of now) sell for $48.00 USD.

MMI-7781 - 01
MMI-7781 - 02
MMI-7781 - 03
MMI-7781 - 04
MMI-7781 - 05

NOTE: The PE in the images is in fact a custom piece for the SMT 1/48 Falcon. The 7781 PE will have a smaller outer diameter as to not be seen when the retainer ring is added. Hopefully that makes sense.

Any updates on these engine grills? If so, can you direct me to them for purchase?

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse my ignorance, I'm a beginner in custom scale modeling , and I'm doing this same Millennium Falcon project, I got the Tie but I honestly don't know how to cut perfect circles in this plastic, I got one compass cutter but it is not giving me the right radius, thanks in advance for the tip !

Perhaps using a circle template that you can get at any stationery store might help. If it has one large enough use a slightly bigger template to score the wing and trim down from there.

Excuse my ignorance, I'm a beginner in custom scale modeling , and I'm doing this same Millennium Falcon project, I got the Tie but I honestly don't know how to cut perfect circles in this plastic, I got one compass cutter but it is not giving me the right radius, thanks in advance for the tip !

Johnnycrash are you going to do sidewalls for the Falcon?
No. FZ6 and mlzz are taking care of that. There are parts on Shapways right now, as well, they have resin versions of those parts (therefore cheaper) coming real soon.

Although I do have two more goodies coming for the HASBRO kit. :D Soon. Very soon.

I've started my Falcon back up again. Man it's been a long time. Thanks to all those who've added to this thread in the meantime. I got impatient waiting for the resin sidewalls to come out so I've started making my own. It's better this way so I can reproduce them if I ever do this project again. I used a combination of found model parts and scratch built parts to produce sidewalls that resemble the 32" Falcon. They came out pretty close and after I molded and cast them I thought they looked pretty darn good. I have the Shapeways cockpit components on there way also. I can't wait to get my hands on those engine vent grills with inside detail too.
20150123_174417.jpg
Here is a test fitting (Not glued on yet).
20150123_174656.jpg

Kokkari, Very nice! Any chance you want to sell me a set?

Still waiting for the resin kit...I'm also the same where you are... just got my Blue LEDs.....getting started on those..

Kokkari, Very nice! Any chance you want to sell me a set?

Still waiting for the resin kit...I'm also the same where you are... just got my Blue LEDs.....getting started on those..
Sure, I'm willing to sell sets when I'm finished. Still working on them though.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back