The 2099+Future Foundation Spiderman Costume

Iracel

Hey! Thanks for clicking. As you can see by the title, I plan to make a sort of hybrid spiderman costume from the future foundation suit and the 2099 suit that glows in the dark. it'll be shiny like the amazing spiderman costumes and everything.
For those of you who may not know, here are the future foundation and 2099 costumes.
Future Foundation
qPzfMIn.jpg

kjECUdu.jpg

I'm very excited for this costume. I drew up my designs, as usual. But here's one of the main questions

How will I make the costume Have the texture of the movie's?
I notice that most people use Puff paint. I hate it, personally. It's most definitely not what the movie costumes use, and its inflexible. It cracks, peels, and permanently stretches the fabric out. It's one of the more popular, cheaper options of course. There is a hint to what they used for the costume in The Amazing Spiderman 2. If you saw it, (Very minor spoiler ahead. Beware) remember after Peter fought Electro for the first time? Afterwards he went home and saw those nerds talking to the anchorlady on television. They were saying that his costume must be made with some sort of neoprene or a rubber of some type that absorbs/insulates electricity. This gave me that brain light bulb and I realized the answer was Liquid Latex. More on that later. The problem I'm currently dealing with is...

What Pattern is Best?
These are the patterns that I'm thinking about using for the black parts of the costume. Sure, on the white part I'll use the usual hexagon pattern that most use (unless I change my mind. I've got until January.) Here are my ideas.
EDYD4Qs.jpg

lRmjsNi.jpg

t4axJic.gif

Any ideas? I'm currently leaning toward the hexagonal pattern, since it is still based off hexagons and it looks a bit like the symbol from the future foundation costumes the fantastic 4 wore.
Here is a small pic of the costume as I stitch the zippers into it.

EX329VL.jpg

I'm very excited to work on this costume. :)

So, the costume zippers are definitely still a work in progress. I did even out the butt zipper after this picture was taken. Since the suit will be black in those areas with latex over it, the definitely won't be nearly as noticeable as they are now. I still have to put zippers in the boots, gloves, and back of the neck. They're such a pain. Here is the costume as it stands now.

LsK7cmt.jpg

l7J5EU7.jpg

xkR898o.jpg

DZrN6HM.jpg

That zipper was pretty crooked. Another issue is that those black sections in the middle of the legs are supposed to be higher up on the knee, but I think if I stretch out the lower leg as much as possible then apply the latex it will work. I think I've decided on the orange hexagonal line pattern on the black parts of the costume. I might use that black and white pattern for the white, instead of honeycombs. Not sure yet. Any suggestions?

WOAH! Thank you for all the support, everyone. I'm currently finishing up my Amazing Spiderman 2/Edge of Time build thing for Halloween, so that's getting most of my attention. But I am still working on this, just not as fast as I will be later.
So, i mixed up my liquid latex and black paint. It took a bit to make it right and reflective, since latex gets a matte finish once it's stretched. It has an interesting effect in light. While puff paint only reflects direct light, this latex is different. It will be glossy in the light, but even in the shadows it will reflect light that is bouncing off of objects. This is really interesting, because the design will be glossy while the fabric and even the surroundings are darker. It looks so cool. I decided to go with the Man of Steel chainlink pattern for the black parts. I want to get these out of the way now, because they're the most basic element of the costume.

Here is a picture of a finished part of a black section.
AEyBbIo.jpg

And here's a close up. Kinda looks weird, but that's what happens when you do it by hand.
l9Iw3cu.jpg

And here's a picture of the right arm and how the latex looks when it's wet. When it dries it's a darker color, and is hard to figure out how it will look when it's done.
ri79bSX.jpg

What I did too was how the pattern slanted upwards, to make me look even taller. xD Go from 5'11 to 6'1 maybe. And just variations in the direction of patterns makes a huge difference than just keeping the basic horizontal direction. Thank you for looking everyone, and for the support.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been working really hard on this costume for Halloween.
BlFRk0S.jpg

But back to the costume the thread is actually about. Before, I was going to use these lenses from old broken steampunk goggles. I bought them at my first anime convention back when I was in eighth grade, but then they only got used for cooking chili. They're black and highly reflective, so I thought it'd be cool for this futuristic Spiderman costume. But I met a predicament. I found my old spiderman costume where I used those licenses spiderman glasses lenses. Now I'm not sure which ones to actually use. I'm leaning towards the spiderman lenses, if i could clean them up.
ZPFvV3T.jpg

For the spider, I'm actually re-purposing the one from my black widow build.
ms6kw1b.jpg

I tore the urethane off and decided that using latex paint would be the best way to paint it. In general, latex is just the answer. :p Acrylic paint just cracks and looks awful. And of course, I'm still just painting the back parts. More of what you saw before.

Hey! How are you? Good? I sure hope so. Here for the costume? Alright.

For the muscle shading, since 1) it will be covered in shiny hexagons and 2) the costume has a futuristic, robotic, alienesque vibe, I've been drawing the muscles with black sharpie. No subtle airbrushing or realistic look, just bold, comic book style muscles. I put on the costume, go in front of a mirror, made sure I had optimal lighting, and just traced around my body with washable pen. I'm not worried about it looking asymmetrical, because that just means that's how I am and it will look right when I'm wearing it. I'm using black sharpie for everything, with silver sharpie to add a middle ground shade between the stark white and deep black. This is a picture from when I first started.

YS6OyTjl.jpg

I'm currently fiddling with the zipper placement, for I was not happy with what I had, It was incredibly hard to put on. I do not condone anyone to go with the zipper arrangement I plan to. Its really funky and I'm only doing it out of convenience. What is exciting though is the back spider. OH MY GOSH, IT IS SO EXCITING. I promise.
What did I do? Well, I decided to go with a modified version of the 2099 symbol. I mixed up my paint and latex and made an outline for the shape, then filled it in. And then, and here's where it gets cool, I covered it with a glow in the dark paint/latex mix. The latex and glow paint I used both dry clear, but for some reason on the spider it produced a light cream colour, whereas before it was pure white. After fidgeting with it trying to make it iridescent, I ruined it. So I made it again (that's the picture below) and am trying to work out how exactly I will make it look better. I'll probably do tests on the old one to see if i can do something where it will shimmer iridescent white/glossy.
Yes, it glows in the dark. I'm so excited because I wasn't sure if it would work. It glows blue, and I plan to use this on the rest of the costume. Do some "technological" designs likt the suit has electricity pulsating through it, like the 2099 costume in edge of time. If I can get my hands on a camera that will actually take a good picture of it glowing then I will definitely post it here, but right now I only have the spider for you.

7I7Xn52l.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Update: I've made a lot of progress on drawing the muscles into the costume. I haven't finished all of it, and there are parts that need to be fixed/worked on even more. The glutes for example. Now, in the pictures I didn't adjust the costume to be worn like it should. It's a bit finicky. And oh my gosh, this zipper arrangement is a hot mess. Basically just a lot of experimentation, so don't mimic it at all. :p i have one zipper going halfway along the back of my waist, another going midway up my back, and one more that extends from my spine, a bit across my lower back and up my back. It requires a lot of shoulder flexibility and contouring to get into. When everything is done I may go back and fix the zippers, but this how they are right now. I plan to fashion a sort of protruding human spine on the back of the costume, which if all goes well looks wicked cool. Also, I'll be adding the web wings underneath the arms too.

AqY5hwfl.jpg

WMBxjhPl.jpg

LBZU2RSl.jpg

Also, the mask is very white compared to the costume. I suppose the washable marker I used on the body is just diluted by the water and spread out, becoming truly permanent when it dries. It looks better that way, not being stunningly white, so I'll dye the mask like that too. Oh, and as I type this I am painting and gluing the spider to the chest. And cutting the eye shapes and everything out of urethane too, so pictures of that coming soon. :)

Hey! How are you? Good? I sure hope so. Here for the costume? Alright.

For the muscle shading, since 1) it will be covered in shiny hexagons and 2) the costume has a futuristic, robotic, alienesque vibe, I've been drawing the muscles with black sharpie. No subtle airbrushing or realistic look, just bold, comic book style muscles. I put on the costume, go in front of a mirror, made sure I had optimal lighting, and just traced around my body with washable pen. I'm not worried about it looking asymmetrical, because that just means that's how I am and it will look right when I'm wearing it. I'm using black sharpie for everything, with silver sharpie to add a middle ground shade between the stark white and deep black. This is a picture from when I first started.

http://i.imgur.com/YS6OyTjl.jpg

I'm currently fiddling with the zipper placement, for I was not happy with what I had, It was incredibly hard to put on. I do not condone anyone to go with the zipper arrangement I plan to. Its really funky and I'm only doing it out of convenience. What is exciting though is the back spider. OH MY GOSH, IT IS SO EXCITING. I promise.
What did I do? Well, I decided to go with a modified version of the 2099 symbol. I mixed up my paint and latex and made an outline for the shape, then filled it in. And then, and here's where it gets cool, I covered it with a glow in the dark paint/latex mix. The latex and glow paint I used both dry clear, but for some reason on the spider it produced a light cream colour, whereas before it was pure white. After fidgeting with it trying to make it iridescent, I ruined it. So I made it again (that's the picture below) and am trying to work out how exactly I will make it look better. I'll probably do tests on the old one to see if i can do something where it will shimmer iridescent white/glossy.
Yes, it glows in the dark. I'm so excited because I wasn't sure if it would work. It glows blue, and I plan to use this on the rest of the costume. Do some "technological" designs likt the suit has electricity pulsating through it, like the 2099 costume in edge of time. If I can get my hands on a camera that will actually take a good picture of it glowing then I will definitely post it here, but right now I only have the spider for you.

http://i.imgur.com/7I7Xn52l.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Your Work is amazing! if you had a YouTube channel talking about your suits,maybe a tutorial here and there, that would be fantastic!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back