Paint Thinner Question

LM1

Hi Guys,

Have a question about alternate thinners for Testors/Model Master Enamel Paints. Having some difficulty in locating Model Master Enamel Thinners anywhere in Sydney Australia, so have been researching on the web and just want to confirm if the following products can be used:

1. Diggers Lacquer Thinner ( General Purpose )
2. Mineral Turpentine ( which I believe is called Mineral Spirits on the other side of the globe )
3. Or a combination of the above

Anyone had experience with these products and if so, what is the correct mix for airbrushing with Model Master Enamels.

Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated as this is for the 1:350 TOS Enterprise.......

i have used laquer thinner with good results. here in the usa the stores are stocked with a generic thinner simply called "paint thinner" (back in the day, ALL paints were oil based).
paint thinner works great but is a little more "oily" than laquer thinner. laquer thinner thus dries quicker and evaporates faster.
mineral spirits i believe is basically "paint thinner".
try them and practice some on scrap.

i mix my paint on the heavier side about 30% thinner to 70 paint more or less. some like the opposite. some like 50/50.
try for yourself
there are times when you will want paint thinned heavily...and other times that require not....

by the way if you are practicing for a plastic model, practice on plastic. don't practice for a plastic model on cardboard or paper.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back