HalloweenCostumes.com "Back to the Future 2 Light Up Shoes"

I never had a problem with that on my pairs. If they want to reinforce or heat shrink they need to do so on the ankle light board. They have zero support and brake in no time.

I actually prefer the ribs. Did I read it right, they moved the light switch and it's in the colar now? Those poor soles keeping getting yellower and yellower.

No, they didn't move the switch. It's still under the buckle. They reinforced the on/off button and usb connector with thicker stronger covers. Before, the connector covers were about on-par with heatshrink, now it's thick plastic.

Well that is a good thing as the end of the heat shrink is where my V2 wires broke on both shoes.

I never had a problem with that on my pairs. If they want to reinforce or heat shrink they need to do so on the ankle light board. They have zero support and brake in no time.

You will find those soles are from the original 2012 batch made for the V2s. By the end 2016, I predict they will be almost orange :p

The updated version still has the ankle buckle upside down because they've just edited the original pics, check the spatter pattern on the original pics vs the updated pics
View attachment 505070 View attachment 505072

I was looking at that when i went and downloaded the hi-res version, thought it was a bit suspicious but hadn't got round to saying anything yet. Guess I wasn't the only one to notice.... :D

The updated version still has the ankle buckle upside down because they've just edited the original pics, check the spatter pattern on the original pics vs the updated pics
View attachment 505070 View attachment 505072

theribs.jpg

We just need accurate uppers period. It amazes me that they don't exist yet from professional manufacturers.

Yeah so am I. The more I play with these, the easier they seem to be. I am still yet to finalize a pair though.

I will spend some time on these again after getting a spool of #40 or #60 Polyspun "Natural" thread now that my machine can tension it. Normally #40 is used on shoes, but #60 should be fine for these. I am so over hand sewing :)

I have some bad news.

When I made my most recent HC order due to sizing problems with my original shoe, I was sent a grey-ribbed pair that had a toe-cap problem with the right shoe. The toe-cap was wrinkled or folded into the shoe, so if you put your foot in it felt like someone was pressing their finger into your toe from the outside. Much like when you press your thumb into a plastic bottle and the indentation stays. Obviously I could not wear these so I asked them for a replacement. That is when I learned about the smooth-side shoes.

I got into a fairly heated discussion with an employee there who basically said something to the effect that I was not telling the truth about my order history. And I will leave it at that.

I got someone else on the phone, who said they would have someone personally pick the shoes and send them to me.

So 1st pair of smooth-sides I got had a malfunctioning green light. Third back from the front of the shoe.
View attachment lightout1pr.jpg

The 2nd pair came with a giant obvious lump, these were "personally" chosen by "Jonathan". So he saw that lump and sent them out anyways. It looks even worse in person.
lump2pr.jpg

So I got back on the phone with them and asked them to replace these.

3rd pair. This is two of the smooth-sides left-side shoes together. The newest pair is the one with the sole that is already separating at the forward inside wing. it also peels back about half-inch and the paint has separated. Also, all of these smooth-sides have yellowed soles. This pair was "personally" selected by "Michael". And in a conversation that I had with another person about this pair, I learned that Michael mixed and matched two pairs of shoes to make this pair. So he not only saw these defects, he put together two different shoes with them and sent them out. The right side shoe has multiple loose stitches and the thread is unraveling from the lace area. The loops are loose and move around when touched.

The 3rd pair.....
loosethreads3pr.JPG
peeledsole3pr.JPG

And for some strange reason the "lump shoe" and the "peeled-sole shoe", someone ripped into the paper while handling them. Which is a minor issue, but indicates unprofessional handling.

There is simply no excuse for sending me three pairs in a row with obvious physical defects. This is not chance, they were all hand-selected.

So I don't know what's going on at HC. But for now if your shoes have a defect, and you ask for replacements, they hand-pick more defective shoes. So I cannot recommend these shopping at HC anymore. I've been one of this retailers biggest supporters here, but they want to keep hand-selecting shoes with obvious defects and send them to me. So, until they get their act together and stop doing this, I withdraw all support.

So 1st pair of smooth-sides I got had a malfunctioning green light. Third back from the front of the shoe.
IMG]http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=511582&d=1438973448[/IMG]

Not to take their side, a green light can be fixed when you go to mod these.

The 2nd pair came with a giant obvious lump, these were "personally" chosen by "Jonathan". So he saw that lump and sent them out anyways. It looks even worse in person.
View attachment 511583

The other faults are not cool. Clearly a manufacturing faults and should never have left the factory. They don't or can't really have the kind of quality control you would expect when the companies producing the stuff for them is hit and miss. They are what they are and people are buying these because they are cheap.

Jonathan was the guy that responded to my emails. I honestly don't think anything will come of this.

Hopefully the talks about coming out with more accurate shoes become reality and not just wishful thinking. Maybe if the accurate ones come out and people really love them that Universal will start selling those and market them on a bigger scale.

We can only hope.

I want to know is that happens next year?

Here we are mid way through 2015. The build up to this year has been interesting to say the least and we are all looking forward to something magical happening in October.

So my question is, what happens next year? Does the MAG just become a "has been"? Will members here still wear them?

Universal and NIKE probably should have collaborated to make a "consumer" pair of MAG shoes. That way it could have been more accurate and have a SWOOSH and the NIKE branding. Universal and Matel did OK with their hover board. Sure it was not "perfect" but it still is a collectible piece and I am glad I got mine. And look what they go for on eBay now.

The NIKE Vandals from the latest Terminator film are a replica of the shoes from 1984. They are supposed to sell for around $200 a pair. A genuine NIKE shoe based on a shoe from popular movie franchise. And they are limited. So why can't MAGs be made commercially and affordable for a limited time? No need for lights at the base version, just give us the shoe we all want. Those of use that want lights will find a way to fit them.

cavx

This whole situation has me pretty ticked off, to be honest.

I have an upcoming con and I probably won't be able to have shoes ready in time. So my once-in-a-lifetime chance to attend Worldcon is going to be as a deficient Marty McFly because of them hand-picking defective shoes and sending them to me. I'm back to working on my Star-Lord, since I can't make any headway on my Marty-build without the smooth-sides.

Sorry, everyone. I am just really unhappy about all of this and I wish I had shoes ready for this convention. It's going to be people from all over the world coming to my town. And I wanted to be presentable. And it looks like that isn't going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can only hope.

I want to know is that happens next year?

Here we are mid way through 2015. The build up to this year has been interesting to say the least and we are all looking forward to something magical happening in October.

So my question is, what happens next year? Does the MAG just become a "has been"? Will members here still wear them?

Universal and NIKE probably should have collaborated to make a "consumer" pair of MAG shoes. That way it could have been more accurate and have a SWOOSH and the NIKE branding. Universal and Matel did OK with their hover board. Sure it was not "perfect" but it still is a collectible piece and I am glad I got mine. And look what they go for on eBay now.

The NIKE Vandals from the latest Terminator film are a replica of the shoes from 1984. They are supposed to sell for around $200 a pair. A genuine NIKE shoe based on a shoe from popular movie franchise. And they are limited. So why can't MAGs be made commercially and affordable for a limited time? No need for lights at the base version, just give us the shoe we all want. Those of use that want lights will find a way to fit them.

AMEN! PREACH ON BROTHER!
I completely agree, and they could of made it happen if they wanted to....that's what makes it even more frustrating. It looks like I may just have to wait it out and see if the RD's drop even lower in price. The HC's are too inaccurate, and just don't look good at all (IMO).

I remember exactly what I was thinking when I heard NIKE was going to come out with the Forrest Gump shoe this year, 2015, of all years.

I thought some executive at NIKE had gone insane.

@cavx

This whole situation has me pretty ticked off, to be honest.

And rightly so. I am not saying they are right or in the right, because they are not, especially if these were "hand picked".

AMEN! PREACH ON BROTHER!
I completely agree, and they could of made it happen if they wanted to....that's what makes it even more frustrating. It looks like I may just have to wait it out and see if the RD's drop even lower in price. The HC's are too inaccurate, and just don't look good at all (IMO).

What makes you think the RD prices are going to drop?

I remember exactly what I was thinking when I heard NIKE was going to come out with the Forrest Gump shoe this year, 2015, of all years.

I thought some executive at NIKE had gone insane.

Its only a fine line between genius and insanity and someone just crossed it.

[QUOTE =cavx] What makes you think the RD prices are going to drop?

Just hoping that people who bought them and wore them (and paid too much for them!) that aren't huge BTTF fans, will try and recover some of their money back.

If I'm not mistaken, the asking price has dropped a bit in recent past. Hopefully this trend continues!

[QUOTE =cavx] What makes you think the RD prices are going to drop?

Just hoping that people who bought them and wore them (and paid too much for them!) that aren't huge BTTF fans, will try and recover some of their money back.

If I'm not mistaken, the asking price has dropped a bit in recent past. Hopefully this trend continues!

I don't think they will. There are some worn pairs out there are not worth the asking price because they are filthy or broken. Have you seen the photo of the shoe that has had it's ankle buckle removed? Not pretty.

I also watched the guy that skated behind a Ferrari wearing his MAGs and he shows how he tore the heel up. He says he won't sell them and he doesn't wear them. His comments about wearing his shoes to a club were not the most positive.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back