iceman

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Local chapter of the 501st is building a successor to our original "Tank"

DSC00507 by cryogenesys, on Flickr

Flickr gallery :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7658028@N06/sets/72157607297134707/

Build Gallery :
http://www.cryogenesys.com/tank/index.html

The new vehicle is a replica of the new version of the 80's kenner toy, the "Imperal Troop Transport" as seen in the new fall TV show "Rebels"

Imperial_troop_transporter_rebels_reversed by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

Lucasfilm was kind enough to give us detailed images and plan views of the ILM digital model. Unfortunately, I cannot post those per LFL request.
We selected a 1980 Ford Econoline van as the base vehicle, the large, box shape is the perfect platform for the new transport.

IMG_20140514_163044_930 by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

We have started the steel framework, and are using 1/8 " thick polycarbonite "twinwall" panels for the body shell, for their light weight & strength.

IMG_20140831_143243828_HDR by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

There is a dedicated flckr gallery that I will be uploading progress photos to, and occasionally posting here.( I get very busy sometimes and I am really bad about documenting my builds.)

"imperial Troop Transport" build gallery :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123453788@N05/

The final vehicle will have a electrically operated rear loading ramp, built-in sound system, 120 volt system, front & rear video camera to assist the driver, and there will be seating for 10 inside ( 2 crew & 8 troopers)
We have a deadline of October 12th, so watch the flickr gallery in the next 4 weeks for lots of progress pics - I will post highlights to this thread.

I had and still have that toy. Initially I was confused by the choice of using a full sized van for the base because I thought it was too tall until I saw on of the images from the show you posted in the gallery. I had assumed the show's transport was going to be about the same size/scale as the old toy, but it is huge.

Actually, ours is about 3/4 scale, the actual dimensions from the LFL plans are : h= 3.49504 w=4.522216 L = 8.769096 meters
Which would exceed street legal dimensions.we also had to adjust the proportions to better fit the van body.

Had some setbacks this past month, both of our cars had catastrophic mechanical failures, both are a complete write-off.

The good news is, I got some work done on the transport this last weekend, including getting the rear loading ramp actuator functioning, and getting the framework on the front 60% completed.
We missed the UA/Fleet week event, but we are hoping to make the November 2nd parade in Pleasanton.
Here is the Transport as of yesterday :
IMG_20141019_132115952_HDR by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

The grey lines are what we still have to build -
progress_front_rear_comp by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

The final version to compare :
Imperial_troop_transporter_rebels_reversed by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

Although we will finish out the interior, I wanted to concentrate on getting the outside done first, but some interior parts are easier to paint before we close up the driver & passenger doors forever -
Originally I was going to make new door panels out of ABS or sheet aluminum, but when I removed the "vintage" 1980 wood door panels,

IMG_20141022_182843941 by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

I found the doors were skinned & finished on the inside !

IMG_20141022_182831287 by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

Someone cut some jagged holes for the speakers, but I painted the old speakers grills & used them to cover the holes.
IMG_20141022_182857669 by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

Almost done - still need to find some better window handles -

IMG_20141022_182803313 by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr

Although I don't have ANY shots of the inside, the renders that LFL gave me were such high resolution & detail, that I was able to zoom in on the windows, and identified the chairs used !
It looks like they used the same chair models that are in the AT-DP, which I do have a picture of !
SWI46_AT-DPcockpit by imperialtankcrewggg, on Flickr
This image will be used as a reference for color scheme, and overall design cues. We will never get our vehicle interior to look like the actual, mostly because ours is 3/4 scale and and still needs to function as a drivable vehicle.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back