Do Trek fans really hate Wesley Crusher that much?

ill just leave this here

VaderchokesWil.jpg

I hated Wesley, and I was also 10 at that time. The effing "rub in your face know it all" was too much. He was badly written character. He was as bad as JarJar, next to Neelix and I hate him too with a passion. If you force a character to be like that (funny), you'll get the opposite. Wes was all Gene wasn't as some stated.

BUT: I like Will. He's cool.

I knew about Wil being a "geek" before I started watching TNG (last year :lol ) so I cut the character some slack just because I like the way the actor comports himself. Is Wesley annoying? :YES. Hate is a strong word to use towards a fictional character though. ;)
EDIT: I have to admit that after watching him "save" Picard in the cave the 1st time, I haven't gone back to that episode again.

I didn't really "hate" the Wesley character, but as a person that grew up on the original series, it was weird to see a kid (and other kids) on the ship in TNG. One character I never took a shine to was his mom. She seemed like she was always griping at him or the Captain about things, and I started calling her "Nut Crusher".

I think part of the reason he was there was to reinforce the fact that this was a science ship and whole families were there, not just 'military' types. Seems they did a better job of that with warf's kid who also got overly annoying, but he wasn't on the bridge :)

And sure there are teens who are smarter than adults. Those teens aren't right 100% of the time though. Seems like Wesley was however. It's ok to know your as smart or smarter than the adults, however, you also have to know your place and realize you will be wrong from time to time.

They didn't through Dr. Bashir's intelligence at you remotely as much as they did Wesley's and he was genetically engineered to be a genius type. And when it was shown, he wasn't annoying about it.

I didn't hate Wesly. When the show premiered, I was a few years younger than he was. So essentially I grew up with him and his character grew on me. I can still watch the series and think he's fine in later episodes... But yeah, he's pretty annoying in the first two seasons when I go back as an adult. "He's twelve! How is he solving all the problems our experienced crew on the Federation flagship can't!?" As he gets older I think he becomes more believable. But his story arc ends so stupidly. It was so bad that I almost don't consider it canon (like Star Trek 5). Here's a character that's whole life is dedicated to being in Starfleet. Then all of a sudden they do a 180 and decide it was just a phase. And then they give him superpowers!? How unbelievably stupid is that? This is Star Trek not X-Men!

I always liked Wesley as a character. He acted just like any supergeek his age would have in reality. Sure he was annoying at times but he wasn't "scrappy doo" like so many people considered him to be. At least not in my opinion.

At the time, I was only about 10 or so, so I was pretty close to Wesley's age. I didn't really mind it, but didn't really think much about it one way or the other.

Looking back on it now, especially in those early years when he was still on the ship, there's so much about the show -- Wesley included -- that just seems horribly, horribly dated. From the very "90s" design of the bridge, to the "families on a spacegoing vessel" and such...it all just seems so...old. Mind you, that's true of a lot of science fiction from that era, but Star Trek always seemed to want to be about "issues" which ended up making it very contemporary...for the 90s. Later on, it focused more on general science fiction stories, it seemed, and less about science fiction dressing up a current topic.

Really? This is kind of off topic, but while the technology used to create the early graphics and the horrible lighting of the early seasons make the first couple of seasons look dated, I think overall it looks anything but in later seasons. The design was almost prophetic in the way we came to use technology. The earth tones and wood gave it a comfortable feel. Something I think is necessary if you're going to spend years there.

What dates it for me is in those first three seasons- big hair, big make-up and shoulder pads.

Well, I'm mostly talking about the first three seasons, but the general look of the set and the costumes in that period, along with many of the concepts, is just kinda...I dunno. 90s to me. By the same token, the look of the bridge in the new films is very "2000s-2010s" to me, because it looks like the Apple store. I expect in another 20 years, that'll look "OMG, so 2010." It's the color schemes, too. All beiges and taupes and whatnot. I remember my folks having a living room that was decorated similarly. :lol

Well, I'm mostly talking about the first three seasons, but the general look of the set and the costumes in that period, along with many of the concepts, is just kinda...I dunno. 90s to me. By the same token, the look of the bridge in the new films is very "2000s-2010s" to me, because it looks like the Apple store. I expect in another 20 years, that'll look "OMG, so 2010." It's the color schemes, too. All beiges and taupes and whatnot. I remember my folks having a living room that was decorated similarly. :lol

In my opinion the first 3 seasons suffered from Gene's hubris and the lack of anyone on staff that could keep him in check and grounded. Part of what made TOS work was the other Gene, Gene ****, who helped to keep Rodenberry, that and the network too (a rare instance where studio interference actually made something better). If it weren't for those factors TOS would have likely looked a lot more like the first 2 - 3 seasons of TNG where there was no one to tell Gene no or keep his feet firmly on the ground. By the later seasons, once Gene took ill and was less involved in the day to day running of the show and when he finally passed, the show really started to improve and we got the show that we all know and love today. Had Gene not gotten ill and eventually passed away from the illness it's entirely possible that TNG wouldn't have made it to S7 nor would we have gotten 3 spin offs; like Lucas, Gene was a great idea man but he needed a solid partner or partners to keep some of his wackier notions and ideas more grounded.

Mostly I think Wesley was on the bridge because he was actively trying to get into Starfleet Academy, even before he was an ensign. They wanted to nurture that in him, especially since his father was a highly respected officer or something before his death. I haven't seen the episodes in a while with him so I don't really remember if he was doing any duty-stuff before he was made an ensign, was he?

And I still to this day want to marry Wesley Crusher. Not Wil. Wesley. I admit, growing up watching him and he wasn't that much older than me, I thought he was awesome.

Mostly I think Wesley was on the bridge because he was actively trying to get into Starfleet Academy, even before he was an ensign. They wanted to nurture that in him, especially since his father was a highly respected officer or something before his death. I haven't seen the episodes in a while with him so I don't really remember if he was doing any duty-stuff before he was made an ensign, was he?

And I still to this day want to marry Wesley Crusher. Not Wil. Wesley. I admit, growing up watching him and he wasn't that much older than me, I thought he was awesome.

You mean "acting" Ensign, to be an Ensign would mean that Wesley have already gone to the Academy since Ensign is the lowest rank of officer in Starfleet. As for his parentage, his dad was nothing that special except for being a friend of Picards iirc but I don't think that was why Picard originally made Wesly and acting Ensign. I think that he did something to distinguish himself and along with his burning desire to go to the Academy made Picard decide to make him an acting Ensign. That and the fact that Picard had something of a crush (no pun intended) for Wesley's mom probably factored into his decision, even if just a little.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back