Future DC Movies

bored-computer-user.jpg

TBH: the higher execs up the food chain of WB doesn't know what to do now. They're like headless chickens running around getting their ass handed by Marvel time after time, only thinking about relying on Supes and Bats. And in a bad way - make it "dark", make it "brooding", make it "serious". THAT DOESN'T WORK!

They should think about, why CW's Arrow works, why the pilot of the Flash 2014 works, why people are drawn to those Marvel characters, what roots them. Why the script of Green Lantern was bad, but Ryan was not bad as Hal (IMHO they should have turned "First Flight" into a movie). Why WB is strictly seperating the writers of DCAU from DCMU? The strongest asset and cards they could play is using those writers from the animated universe to script a screenplay for the movie. Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, God bless Dwayne McDuffie - those were the spearheads of the Animated Universe. Heck! I'd pay to see a Justice League: Doom reshot frame by frame.

Here is the current line up of DC Movies.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - March 25, 2016
Suicide Squad - August 5, 2016

Wonder Woman - June 23, 2017
Justice League Part One - November 10, 2017

The Flash - March 23, 2018
Aquaman - July 27, 2018

Shazam - April 5, 2019
Justice League Part Two - June 14, 2019

Cyborg - April 3, 2020
Green Lantern - June 19, 2020

DC is going to be hitting the market when everybody is getting tired of comic-book movies because Marvel has saturated the market for a long time. It feels like DC is hitting the screen at a bad time.

There are maybe 4 to 6 superhero movies every year, sometime little more. It's just that they get the highest media attention, as there are many fans of comics or movie goers who love superheroes in general.

There are dozens of regular genre movies releasing every year, probably over 100 movies in total including all the indie films.

If one is not a fan, they can easily skip the handful of superhero movies of that year and watch the other dozen films. But they can't escape seeing and reading about these movies across the media, cause these superhero films are here to stay for a while.

Fans who grew up reading these comic characters, it's a dream for many to see their favourite characters play out on the big screen.

I am mostly a Marvel fan but I also cherish the DC characters, so I am very happy that these characters are getting their due movies.

It's really hard to shake the sense that DC's sudden "creative spurt" is still more reactionary than inspired. Or that DC would have preferred to remain comfortable with generational reboots of their two principal properties forever had it not been for the success of Marvel's recent films.

I also think Marvel had a long range plan they worked on a long time whereas DC is seemingly just trying to copy what Marvel has done..

I don't think marvel put out long term dates either until they knew they had something going. Spewing out all those dates after MoS which didn't do that great seems a bit on the hoping it works out side.

You do them right and there's nothing wrong with comic book movies at all and people won't get tired of them. You screw them up and they'll go stale PDQ. People were high on the wonder woman TV show, then the pilot leaked. It died shortly thereafter.

Maybe it's me, but the dates seems to be playing it safe. No first weeks of May (marvel owns that apparently :) ), no memorial day, no 4th of july, no xmas, no thanksgiving. BvS in march? That's usually filler time until the summer movies start in may. Seems like they don't really know what they're going to do and trying to buy early PR with the announcements...

It's really hard to shake the sense that DC's sudden "creative spurt" is still more reactionary than inspired. Or that DC would have preferred to remain comfortable with generational reboots of their two principal properties forever had it not been for the success of Marvel's recent films.
I totally agree on that, but at least it's something finally from their end. Hopefully their world building and crossover blends well, even though it didn't start out organically.

I totally agree on that, but at least it's something finally from their end. Hopefully their world building and crossover blends well, even though it didn't start out organically.
I agree it's only good that DC is finally stepping up. With Zach at the helm, at the very least, the DC films will look amazing (if in a lyrical sort of way). I pray Warner movie execs will actually collaborate with the DC comic division. One thing that Marvel's taught us is that comic folks do have a vision that can translate to cinema.

While it's logical that DC will distinguish itself tonally from Marvel by making films that are categorically more "serious."
But the problem is that "serious" films, even if done well, don't encourage the same type of repeat viewing that lighter toned films do.
Put simply, it's fatiguing to repeatedly watch drama and angst. But a film like GotG will be watched over and over again by folks.

Movies in DC showreel:

Suicide Squad
Wonder Woman
Justice League 1, 2
The Flash
Aquaman
Cyborg
Green Lantern Corps
Batman v Superman

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back