Syd Mead's concept Blade Runner blaster

Done for the night. Trying to work out, does it look too long, or will it look fine when I add height to the body with the other greeblies?
5.JPG

looks fine. one thing tho. I can't really tell from the concept drawing's. does it look like there are slightly raised edges on the top part? on both side's..

Added the hinge and rear sight doodad. Just praying my hackerspace's Up 3D can print this with all the detail. If not, I might have to send it to Shapeways. It's got too the point where the model is getting complex enough to cause my crappy laptop to slow down :(

7.JPG

Also something quite cool, turns out there's another concept PKD. I was looking through the Blade Runner Sketchbook for a bit of inspiration and came across the original concept gun by the assistant art director. If I every work out how to do organic curves in SolidWorks I might make it just so i can have the complete set of blasters.
1st concept.jpg

I'm tempted to try and build the phone concept, maybe put a slot for an android where the face is.

If anyone decides to make a kit for the concept blaster, I would absolutely be interested!

Nearly finished the body. Going to knock up the handle and trigger over the weekend, then need to work out how to print it in a way that'll make a good resin kit. Also decided I'm getting mine chrome plated, looks gorgeous in the renders.
9.JPG

You shopping around for 3D printing services? I think we have a couple guys on the board who do it. Though, I imagine getting a very smooth print is the real challenge, and not cheap, either...

That looks awesome! Nice work. Do you know why there's a 32?

I'm incredibly interested, though I know nothing about assembling kits, I know the community is wonderful and willing to help.

Last edited:
You shopping around for 3D printing services? I think we have a couple guys on the board who do it. Though, I imagine getting a very smooth print is the real challenge, and not cheap, either...
If the interest is there for a kit, I might buy an Ultimaker 2 and print it myself. Bit expensive but it's one of the few printers with a big enough bed size and the precision that I'd need to print this. Was thinking of printing it off at my local hackerspace, but the body of the gun is too big for their Up 2 printer. Even if it did fit, it'd take 20 hours to print, much longer than my hackerspace is actually open for :(

That looks awesome! Nice work. Do you know why there's a 32?

I just assumed it was a model or serial number. Though saying that, I don't know what half the stuff Syd drew was suppose to be, I'm just adding it because it looks cool.

Last edited:
Straight up, why not Kickstarter? I'm sure people would back you, if it were a reasonable price. Then you could buy the printer and start sending out the blasters in order of who signed up first.

Last edited:
That'd mean I'd have to take this seriously, would take the fun out of the project for me. If/when I make a kit, I doubt I'd even take deposits, just make them an sell them. Means if it goes **** up, no one but me has lost out ;)

In hindsight, I regret finding the materials menu. Makes me want to get one vacuum metalized in gold now :p
14.JPG

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    402.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
LOL! That's very subtle, I like that. Good for under cover work...

In all seriousness, I think a sliver or nickel plated BR blaster, mounted tastefully in a display case would be a great 'retirement' gift for Deckard....

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back