Syd Mead's concept Blade Runner blaster

Nixon

I love Blade Runner and concept art, so figured this'd be the perfect project. Started modelling it in Solidworks this morning with plans to eventually 3D printing it.

c002e7890db2cd8b0a9deeb105bc81c0.jpg Untitled-4.jpg

If I get the hang of Solidworks, the front bit will be hinged (which I assume that screw bit on the far side is for) and the power cell will slide into either the handle or the hinged compartment at the back.

Cool. Nice Solidworking. I have seen this done once before, and that was to a pretty high standard.... The bar is set high :)

Are you gonna put some lights in it?

You mean this one ;)
65e8fe045b85cd9be4d121987e2e6434.jpg
Have to agree, it's a stunning replica. Seeing it was one of the reasons I started teaching myself Solidworks. If mine is even close to that I''ll be a happy chap. Was tempted to make the power cell an actually battery to power something, but couldn't think where to put lights.

I'm sure you could think of somewhere to put lights :)

Heck, you could put the lights on the battery itself, to tell the user if it's charged or not.

Here are some pics I have of The Other One:

Attachments

• brsm03.jpg
    brsm03.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 389
  • brsm04.jpg
    brsm04.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 407
I will look foreword to your progress on this I'm ashamed to say I don't know a whole lot about this concept drawing..

Here's a different picture of the concept art. According to this image, it was published in Oblagon. So you could pick that up, too, if you wanted. If it is in there.

Attachments

• oblagon-blaster-concept.jpg
    oblagon-blaster-concept.jpg
    903.5 KB · Views: 324
Been looking for one to add to my BR collection for a while now. Will follow this thread and hopefully get a casting for one. ;)

Last edited:
There may be some explanatory text in the book. Or there may not.

The rumor I've heard is that Ridley took a look at this drawing and said, "What a cool phone."

Which lead to this eerily similar drawing of an actual phone below. Note the similar design elements, shapes, angles, cylinders....

...Not saying that's true, it's just what I heard.

Attachments

• brsm_design_phone_base.jpg
    brsm_design_phone_base.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 291
As the guy who made "the other one", I'm delighted to see how someone else may interpret Syd's incredible design. Good luck to you, Nixon!

Shawn

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The first part is basically finished, just got to tweak the hinge and work out where to put a magnet on the back to keep the barrel from flopping around.
1.JPG2.jPG

Might do a run of kits eventually, though the ideas I'm kicking around might mean it'll be too complex to resin cast, especially after seeing how cool it looks lit up. Gives me an excuse to finally buy a 3D printer though.

Always love that gun...maybe Blade Runner 2 will integrate some of those concept into the movie: Vid-Phone, Voight-Kampff, gun, etc:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back