Bending metal into a perfect circle

hdtheater

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am working on a TWA Moonliner model and decided to change out the styrene crater rails for metal ones. However, I can't find the rings premade and need to make my own.

Does anybody have a sure fire way to make a perfect circle and then braze the aluminum to make it a solid ring?

I am using the K&S Metals tubing you can get from Hobby Lobby and Hobbytown. Also, I bought the spring loaded benders, but they still tend to have slight kinks in the tubes.

Thanks,

-Eric

From how you asked your questions, I’ll assume you don’t have a lathe, much less a metal working lathe. Also, I’m not sure how big this ring is or the particulars of its cross section, but if it is not too massive or its section complex, then flat stock, square stock, or round stock can be bent around a round cylindrical form of the appropriate size. if tubular, an appropriately sized tube bender might be useful, but if the circle diameter doesn’t match the various standard sizes, then you could try the spring benders that K&S sells, or the larger plumbing types. Failing that, the tube could be sealed at one end, filled with ultra fine sand all the way up, then tapping/rapping the tube against a reasonably hard surface to settle the sand down. Then more sand is added if necessary, followed by more rapping/tapping. Repeat as necessary until the sand is packed in tight and all the way to the top. Finally seal the top. A tenacious, stout, semi stretchy tape might be a good thing to use for the seals, but quite frankly, whatever works. If done right, you might be able to bend the tube directly over the cylindrical form with little to no flattening of the tube. The tube should be a little longer to allow the ends to overlap on the form. Once the shape is as you want, the seals can be removed, the sand poured out, and the ends trimmed so they can be made flush, and tweaked on the form to remove the slight helix due to the previously overlapped ends. it can be fussy work, but it is cheap and doable with patience.

As far as brazing aluminum, and assuming you can braze and have access to equipment, I recommend tinmantech.com. A direct link to the stuff to consider is:
https://www.tinmantech.com/html/aluminum_aero_braze.php

If you can’t braze and don't have access to equipment, you can solder with a propane or MAPP gas (better) torch available from a hardware store or big box DIY store. The site I gave ins even good for soldering. Here is a direct link for that stuff:
https://www.tinmantech.com/html/flux-core-rod.php

Good luck!

Mark

I need to make two 8" rings and one 7.125" ring. I'll look at the links you posted this evening. Thanks.

Thanks for the info!

I think I have the bending technique understood. I just need to find circles that size to bend the tube over. As for brazing, I may be using the term out of context.

The tubes are 3/32" diameter. So very small. Most of what I find when googling is industrial grade for higher end applications. Is there a "go to" solution for tubes of this diameter?

I have a small butane torch from Harbor Freight, I was hoping to use to braze or solder the ends of the tube together to make a circle.

thanks again,

-Eric

does it absolutely need to be tube? won't need sand if it's rod....
furthermore the sand in a small diameter relatively thickwalled metal tube might not give you the result you are intending
-the Captain-

At that size (3/32"), does it need to be a tube? A solid rod would be much easier to bend, not having to worry about tube flattening, kinking, or collapsing. Of course, at that size, perhaps solid plastic fishing line that fit closely inside the tube would be sufficient to keep the tube from collapsing. You could even try using an aluminum rod that fit inside the tube closely, though it might be more difficult to remove successfully. If there is no reason for the material to be hollow, I would strongly consider using a solid rod of the same diameter since it would be much easier to fabricate the rings with.

As far as a “go to” solution, I am not aware of any for that size of tube or wire/rod. However, if you have various kitchen pots and pans, you might measure them to see if any fits the sizes you are looking for. Perhaps a very large can or small bucket could be used. Even if the sizes are slightly under the diameters desired, you could wrap tape around them to bring up to the proper diameter(s). Don’t overlook even flimsier round objects because they can be filled with Quickcrete to make them hard and strong enough to act as a forming mandrel.

Of course, if you have a router or a Dremel, you could rig up a compass attachment to cut a perfect circle to your exact specs out of plywood.

Regarding the small butane torch, I suppose it depends on just HOW small it is. Propane burns hotter than butane, and MAPP gas burns hotter than propane. Given the small diameter of the tube or wire, it just might be possible to braze it though barely, and it might take a long time, which would be OK if the tank is big enough. However, butane might do well for soldering. And I suspect soldering might be sufficient. The best joint for soldering a tube in your case is to insert a short, matching curved piece of wire of a similar material into each end of the tube. Perhaps 1/2" or so is enough. This can be a little tricky to do, but still possible. If, instead, you are using solid wire/rod, the best solder joint would be a scarf joint, i.e., each end of the wire are cut at a matching slant, and the slanted faces are mated up and the wire clamped to hold their positions. Make sure to allow for the scarf by cutting the wire longer. With the ends overlapped, the slanting cut can be made across both ends simultaneously. The idea here is to increase the surface area the solder will flow into, thus insuring a strong connection. I wouldn’t go steeper than a 45º angle, and 30º would be better (pointier ended scarfs).

Mark

Thanks for the info!

I think I have the bending technique understood. I just need to find circles that size to bend the tube over. As for brazing, I may be using the term out of context.

The tubes are 3/32" diameter. So very small. Most of what I find when googling is industrial grade for higher end applications. Is there a "go to" solution for tubes of this diameter?

I have a small butane torch from Harbor Freight, I was hoping to use to braze or solder the ends of the tube together to make a circle.

thanks again,

-Eric

Last edited:
Aluminum does not solder. 6061 can be welded, but 2024 and 7075 don't even do that very well.

You might want to consider a different material like brass or copper. You can solder those.

I was also thinking solid rod, and brass can be soldered easily. Styrene rod may work as long as strength isn't a concern, it can be glued with plastic cement.

I was also thinking solid rod, and brass can be soldered easily. Styrene rod may work as long as strength isn't a concern, it can be glued with plastic cement.

robn1, you have the best suggestion.

Another possibility is filling the tube with water, freezing it will make the inside solid, then when bending to shape it is impossible to kink-flatten because water is not compressible and when frozen expands to a very tight fit inside anything . I've had to do this in Europe when making custom tubing for airplanes when the proper size mandrel was not available so just a suggestion if you still want to use tube for your project. ;)

So, your saying trying to fuse the ends together is not possible for tube of that type? Would JB Weld hold it?

It came with Styrene rod. The results I had with that is what made me switch to aluminum tube. :) I am not opposed to it, but it goes back to technique for bending it.

I like the rod idea. Let me look for a source there.

To help here is a visual of what I am trying to make:

attachment.php

The railing for the blast crater is what I need the tube for.

-Eric

We're suggesting rod because it won't kink when bent like tube will. Aluminum is easy to work but it can't be soldered, the solder just doesn't stick to it. Aluminum can be brazed or welded but it requires extra equipment and some know-how (neither of which I have). Brass or copper can be silver soldered very easily.

I've made smaller diameter rings in styrene before using about the same diameter rod. I wrapped it around a tube form and taped it down, and glued the ends together with Tenax 7R. After drying overnight it was fused into a ring, I just sanded the joint a bit to clean it up and I couldn't even tell where the joint was after. But a larger ring like you need here may not hold it's shape as well, it'll be out of round. I'd use brass rod and solder it.

You are incorrect as well. Once upon a time, I also thought aluminum couldn’t be soldered, because I had always been told it can’t be done by various folks. Nothing could be further from the truth. In time, I learned the facts and have done it successfully several times. The trick lies in having the proper flux and rod to match. Heck, I’ve soldered stranded copper wire to aluminum flashing with regular solder and the proper aluminum flux. Looks great and holds great. I really would peruse the main site I posted above. Good info there.

Mark

We're suggesting rod because it won't kink when bent like tube will. Aluminum is easy to work but it can't be soldered, the solder just doesn't stick to it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back