ANH Kenobi transistors

Peacefrog35

Sr Member
I did a search and didn't really see much so forgive me if this has been covered. What is an alternate way to attach transistors to the clamp if you don't have a drill press. Attaching threads is out. I rec'd Motorola MA205s today. I've already dented one up...doesn't look bad that way though. LOL Can anyone give an easy suggestion or is this one of those things where there's no real good short cut?

Somebody here posted about using windshield adhesive that's made for attaching rearview mirrors with good results.

Can you post a link to where you found your transistors?

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I'm surprised there aren't more replies on this one. I got the transistors from ebay. I will try to find the seller link. They were from Bulgaria, but only took a week for them to arrive to the States. If I can manage to fit these without damaging anymore, I'll give you a set. I purchased 6.

I just used epoxy. The bind is not terribly strong though so I still have to be careful not to knock them off. I think I got the same ones from Bulgaria :).

I haven't attached any yet, I'm still looking for good ones, but epoxy was always my best bet. if it sets and dries in good order that bond is rock solid.(whatever you put behind your clamp, if it's wood or something you dould take a hand drill or awl on a mult tool and dig a little further in to make space for some epoxy underneath

I have a set of real transistors which are just clamped by their own 'legs' through the vintage G R A F L E X clamp holes and between the clamp and the lightsaberpart inside a Luke ROTJ stunt ;)

Chaim

I just used epoxy. The bind is not terribly strong though so I still have to be careful not to knock them off. I think I got the same ones from Bulgaria :).
Well it's a small world after all! I'm glad I selected something that someone else thought was a good choice. It makes me feel good about my purchase :)

THanks for the input you guys! Epoxy, I may have to do that, I've got plenty of the stuff. lol

Sym-Cha, you may be on to something. I've got a Roman spacer, maybe the gold"legs" will create a tight enough "seal" to keep the transistors from moving. I will try it and if that doesnt' work, I guess it's epoxy.

Here are some pics from a tutorial I made about 10 years ago. Sorry for the small pics, the old RPF photo hosting site required photos of a certain size only.

I still convert my transistors the same way.

tran0011-vi.jpg

tran0022-vi.jpg

tran0033-vi.jpg

tran0044-vi.jpg

tran0055-vi.jpg

tran0066-vi.jpg

I second Sym-Cha's method. On mine I twisted the "legs" together under the clamp, and I glued the resistors themselves to the clamp with cyanoacrylate gel for good measure. They don't move at all and are pretty tough (I mean I never lost one, even when dropping the saber :p)

James, I have looked at your tutorial many times and that is the most solid way to go about it. It is also the one that let me know that I don't have the tools to really do this properly. Since my last post, I got home from work and tried the method Sym Cha discussed. The pressure on the gold contacts up against the clamp spacer really did the trick. It was also super fast. Thanks to all who commented!

Thanks for the tip. I'm surprised there aren't more replies on this one. I got the transistors from ebay. I will try to find the seller link. They were from Bulgaria, but only took a week for them to arrive to the States. If I can manage to fit these without damaging anymore, I'll give you a set. I purchased 6.

Thanks!

Please post some pics of your results ... for others with OB1 ANH lightsabers to enjoy too ... and I'm glad it worked out quite easily and simple ;)

Chaim

I guess this thread is better than starting a new one (apologies for the slight hijack Peacefrog)

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Motorola MA205 and MA909 transistors are and if anyone on here has "definitively" (or as anyone can definitively get with this) determined which one was actually used? I know there's an old thread about this started by The.Rebel.Agent a few years back, but all of his reference pictures are gone...

James, what kind of bits work best at hollowing those out? Right now I have one of those long rolled up sets of drill bits from back when they were numbered 1-100 something. Can you use metal or wood bits to do this? Excellent pics/idea/work/savedmylife

I use regular wood router bits, but I reduce the speed in the drill press to a medium/slower speed. The tool steel bits are harder than the transistor so they cut into it okay but I have also trashed more then a few accidentally.

A carbide mill bit would probably work much better.

No worries Edraven99. That is good information for us all ti know. I don't know the differences myself, but just picked ones I found that " look right". I'll post some updated pics later.

I guess this thread is better than starting a new one (apologies for the slight hijack Peacefrog)

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Motorola MA205 and MA909 transistors are and if anyone on here has "definitively" (or as anyone can definitively get with this) determined which one was actually used? I know there's an old thread about this started by The.Rebel.Agent a few years back, but all of his reference pictures are gone...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back