The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

There's little I can readily explain about the subtleties unless I have a baseline comparison. Even then it would be fairly time consuming to try and explain smaller differences. Not sure what you mean about the gold panel and parallel but the sides do angle and actually curve just a tad. It's very subtle...

Here's what I mean.

star_lord.png

Are these 2 lines parallel?

Here's what I mean.

View attachment 516652

Are these 2 lines parallel?

I'm still not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. (But then it's late and my brain is in shutdown mode.) Neither the plate around the eyes nor the mouthplate/grille are completely flat and straight if that's what you are referring to. (And if you're talking about the lines in my print, they are there because I printed them in halves...)

I'm still not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. (But then it's late and my brain is in shutdown mode.) Neither the plate around the eyes nor the mouthplate/grille are completely flat and straight if that's what you are referring to. (And if you're talking about the lines in my print, they are there because I printed them in halves...)

No, not talking about the print. Yep, I know that those pieces curve to the sides of the head, but I wondered if they curved in any other directions, or if they create a slightly outward facing angle from the side.

star_lord2.png

Sorry for the crude drawing.

I think he meant like in profile, is the vertical cross section of the gold eye panel in a straight line with the vertical cross section of the mouth grill. (But one sticking out further than the other.

Overall I'm very happy with the SoloRoboto, which is pretty good on most of the details and also extremely clean. My only real complaint about it is the eye sockets. The Rocketeer helmet has good eye sockets but has very tapered breather tubes and some bad curves. Having handled the EFX helmet, of say the Roboto is the better match. The best option would be to repaint an EFX helmet, but who knows how much that will cost or when it will come out.

I think he meant like in profile, is the vertical cross section of the gold eye panel in a straight line with the vertical cross section of the mouth grill. (But one sticking out further than the other.

Overall I'm very happy with the SoloRoboto, which is pretty good on most of the details and also extremely clean. My only real complaint about it is the eye sockets. The Rocketeer helmet has good eye sockets but has very tapered breather tubes and some bad curves. Having handled the EFX helmet, of say the Roboto is the better match. The best option would be to repaint an EFX helmet, but who knows how much that will cost or when it will come out.

2nd best: Replicate it. ;)

Here's my model so far.

SL_render1.png

Attachments

• SL_render1.png
    SL_render1.png
    129 KB · Views: 78
Hey, Everyone.

Tomorrow Worldcon/Sasquan 2015 begins. For those of you not familiar with it. It's a giant 5-day international sci-fi convention that I'll be attending.

I'd just like to thank the users who were kind enough to lend their expertise and suggestions in helping me make the best Star-Lord short-jacket costume I could in the time I had.

It's not movie-accurate, but it is nearly complete from helmet to rocket-boots. I would describe it as resembling the cartoon or comic version of the movie outfit in overall appearance and accuracy. And I wouldn't have been able to do it in time without the help I was given here.

Thank you, Everyone.

but I wondered if they curved in any other directions, or if they create a slightly outward facing angle from the side.

If I've understood correctly, also taking into account Risu's clarification below, then the answer is yes they do curve slightly in a couple ways, but it's hard to explain exactly how in comparison to your helmet here without going into deep analysis.

Overall I'm very happy with the SoloRoboto, which is pretty good on most of the details and also extremely clean. My only real complaint about it is the eye sockets. The Rocketeer helmet has good eye sockets but has very tapered breather tubes and some bad cu
rves. Having handled the EFX helmet, of say the Roboto is the better match. The best option would be to repaint an EFX helmet, but who knows how much that will cost or when it will come out.

Thanks for attempting to clarify. :thumbsup

Most of the ones out there do get at least a few things right in the details. My goal (and I'm not far off in getting there) is to get every curve, detail and angle within a few hundred microns of accuracy. (And as i said before... it wasn't my eve for detail that made it possible. I just did the, admittedly difficult, modeling and printing.)

11225903_1657265837822405_1909351679_n.jpg11713588_1682039272011728_2009802095_n.jpg11920472_1694639177418404_728334970_n.jpg11121637_1694639184085070_865673342_n.jpg11891231_1694801804068808_6012052604596921849_n.jpg11880076_1693428454206143_109990977_n.jpg11897072_1693428460872809_463297139_n.jpg11903530_1693428547539467_1709562238_n.jpg11910625_1693428550872800_393419703_n.jpg11741818_1682039275345061_270610267_n.jpg

Here's what I've got for my Peter Quill/ Star Lord cosplay so far. The helmet obviously isn't done yet, and I haven't started on some parts of the costume yet. I'm not going for 100% accuracy as you can probably tell, but I'm doing the best I can do with a budget of under $200. You guys are the experts here, so feel free to give me any tips or suggestions on how I can improve it!

Attachments

• 11748830_1682039278678394_1869639743_n.jpg
    11748830_1682039278678394_1869639743_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 126
Hey guys, great news!

Guardians of the Galaxy won Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form at the Hugo awards tonight where I was in attendance.

It beat Capt. America: Winter Soldier, Edge of Tomorrow, The Lego Movie, and Interstellar.

A well deserved award for a movie that has inspired us all to create.

Been slaving all weekend. Pants for me and Ironmaniac (special circumstance. I don't normally do commissions). Holster pads for myself. Broke ground on my jacket prototype (pics later), and finally got this together. Buckle and D-Rings by Nova Props

11933447_10102704059909316_6413535153477190532_n.jpg

Speaking of 3D printing. I may have a limited opportunity to get some free and low-cost prints done locally in PLA material.

Has anyone curated the free files out there? Are there any good ones I should consider getting printed while I have the chance?

Probably nothing large like a whole helmet or blaster, unfortunately. And my costume needs pretty much everything in case your wondering about that part of things.

Thanks, everyone.

Hi guys!
I'm a noob, trying to put together a Lady Star Lord cosplay for Wizard Con in October, and was wondering if anyone had any tips for cutting the 'slits' in the leather on the 'diamond' thing at the front of his shin and the piece riveted to the top of the foot.

I've tried x-actoing (mistake, or maybe I'm just not good at it), so I don't know what else to try. It's thin upholstery leather because this was a kind of seat-of-the-pants cosplay.

For work we had a Superhero craft contest, and I pepakura'd a helmet in like... a week. So the rest of everything else is following.

Y'all are awesome for all your research you've done already!

Hi guys!
I'm wondering if anyone had any tips for cutting the 'slits' in the leather on the 'diamond' thing at the front of his shin and the piece riveted to the top of the foot.

Use a leather punch to create holes at the end of each oval-shaped slit, and then x-acto in between them using a metal straight edge to guide the blade.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back