The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

My good friend came over and did his paint and airbrush magic to these 3D printed resin boot rockets I got from Kevin Gossett. Had many problems with the rockets but not the fault of the seller just the 3D printing de-lamination problems and such. Seller is awesome to have gone out of his way to help me 3D print 2 pairs of boot rockets for my son and I. Fixed with C clamp and Loctite Professional Super Glue. The paint and airbrush turned this turd to a thing of beauty after. Love the heated metal effect using 3 acrylic paint colors: blue, purple and bronze. Lots of dry brushing and intense weathering added to cover my build mistakes :) I had to notch the sides of the rockets bottom with a Dremel cutting wheel to fit the cut RC control metal rods for added detail. I used JB Weld to fill in the poor notching errors and such. Currently test fitted to the leather boot spats purchased from user DannyLopuz here matched to the Skechers Diameter Garzo loafer shoes. Accurate and good enough for now. I will be using 1" width 3D Dual Lock Clear recloseable fasteners with VHB Very High Bond backing to mount the boot rockets and to mount the front boot spat to the shoe to prevent side movement when at the conventions. FYI will be building another set/version using the high resolution 3D boot rocket print set from joatrash. That set i am going all out with lights and sound controlled from the thigh rocket controller acting as the switch. Those rockets will be riveted permanently to the boot spats. More works to come.

DSCN4702.JPG DSCN4701.JPG DSCN4699.JPG DSCN4700.JPG

Last edited:
I just bought a jacket on Ebay from a vendor that's real leather. The jacket looks good and fits okay, (I just had the sleeves let out to the max) but the color is like a drab burgundy color. I was wondering if there is any way I can recolor the jacket to more of the red from the movie? Any ideas? I think a dye is probably out, right?

So, has anyone figured out how the guns attach to the holders on the costume in the movie?

All of the solutions we've already looked at are how they were attached in the film. The holster pads had clips attached which the guns snapped in to.

2015-02-24%2010.58.07_zpsn5udcjcm.jpg

There is a vertical clip that slides/snaps into the piece attached to the holster pads which the gun's grips snap into

Just did some more trial and errors with the 3M Dual Lock Velcro like tape. Front flap stays down. Boot Rockets were mounted a tad towards the back covering part of the boot hardware due to the large boot rocket base plate. Very happy with the end results. Our next show is on March 7 and 8 so will leave feedback after on the durability. Have been wearing them at home to break in the leather and add some wear and tear when possible. I plan to weather these too as not into this fresh brand new look.
DSCN4711.JPG DSCN4714.JPG DSCN4713.JPG DSCN4715.JPG DSCN4716.JPG DSCN4717.JPG

Ok, I have a question for you guy. I'm new to adding the weathered look to items. I will getting my long leather jacket soon and wanted to know how or best way to get the look in the photo below. I circled the areas that look weartherd. if you have steps or link that you could share that would be great. Thanks
Img-201501.jpg

If the leather on the trench coat you are getting hasn't been sealed with water repellent or other type of sealer you may be able to use small amounts of black / dark brown leather stain and dry brush / dry wipe it into the leather. I wonder if there is a way we can get some test leather from Danny Lopez if he has any scraps so we can test and get the color right.

IMHO the cool WOW factor of turning on the eye lights with remote control vs the cumbersome reach and locate switch scenario. Plus ergonomics. Now my focus is on the remote controlled micro string 20 RED LEDs to my son's helmet. Success. I was able to neatly and carefully remove the electronic guts and get rid of the HUMMER sized 3 AA battery box for a slimmer more compact watch battery holder [holds 2 qty CR2032 watch batteries]. Works perfect. Will be using 6 LEDs per eye and 1 for the right side ear piece. 13 LEDs will be used and the others will be cut off. Below are before and after pics. This was a prototype unit we received free of charge from RTGS Products. Will ask then when they plan to release this to the market place. Will update once i drill out the right ear light hole, add the red retro sunglasses lens combined with screen door mesh and LED eye socket measured out to start the LED installation. Thanks.

BEFORE PIC.
DSCN4533.JPG

AFTER the modification PIC
DSCN4731.jpg

I use the same rig! Where did you get the remote setup? And what is the power source for the LEDs? Is it built into the black device? What types of batteries does it use? Total time on lights?

IMHO the cool WOW factor of turning on the eye lights with remote control vs the cumbersome reach and locate switch scenario. Plus ergonomics. Now my focus is on the remote controlled micro string 20 RED LEDs to my son's helmet. Success. I was able to neatly and carefully remove the electronic guts and get rid of the HUMMER sized 3 AA battery box for a slimmer more compact watch battery holder [holds 2 qty CR2032 watch batteries]. Works perfect. Will be using 6 LEDs per eye and 1 for the right side ear piece. 13 LEDs will be used and the others will be cut off. Below are before and after pics. This was a prototype unit we received free of charge from RTGS Products. Will ask then when they plan to release this to the market place. Will update once i drill out the right ear light hole, add the red retro sunglasses lens combined with screen door mesh and LED eye socket measured out to start the LED installation. Thanks.

BEFORE PIC.
View attachment 444562

AFTER the modification PIC
View attachment 444563

Hi got the setup from a rep from RTGS Products. This is what he brought back from the factory in China. I sent the rep an email earlier as to when this will be made avail to the public. Still awaiting a response. Will update any info i get to this thread. 2 qty thin as heck CR2032 batteries. As to how long they last not sure?? Will have to install some fresh battieres and leave it on all day and night and go from there.

Star lord Identitfy.jpg

Could someone identify the labeled areas please.

#1 goes with what is #2.

#3 Elastic grey strap thingy??? :facepalm

#4 Is it hollowed or is it a zipper..? I don't know.

This is the under layer that's actually below the trench coat. Trench coat comes in 2 parts. That, and the coat itself. :lol

Would help if someone knew more. One more thing I wanted to say is. Anyone found a similar sleeved shirt like the one he's wearing?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Could someone....

Most of the things that are publicly known can be found by reading the various Star Lord build threads in the forum. (There is even a thread where someone actually made a copy of the vest and I have seen links to Amazon where people have found similar base shirts.) Most folks are pretty busy with their builds and might not have time to answer lists of questions. If you can't find an answer, why not do what everyone else does: spend some time intricately studying all the images available with Google or watching the movie frame-by-frame. I'm not trying to be mean here, it's just that there are quite often no on-stop-shop tutorials or answers really and you'll have a much easier time if you just dig in and start looking/reading instead of hoping for ready-made answer packs.

I just bought a jacket on Ebay from a vendor that's real leather. The jacket looks good and fits okay, (I just had the sleeves let out to the max) but the color is like a drab burgundy color. I was wondering if there is any way I can recolor the jacket to more of the red from the movie? Any ideas? I think a dye is probably out, right?

Sorry, if this is hijackking, but I figured this would be the place to ask a question like this. Can anyone offer me some advice here? Thanks!

Thanks cap'n. Well I quoted my problem in my last post, but I would basically like to recolor a cheap leather SL jacket I bought on eBay to be more SA. Any suggestions?

Thanks cap'n. Well I quoted my problem in my last post, but I would basically like to recolor a cheap leather SL jacket I bought on eBay to be more SA. Any suggestions?

Just so that we understand, you want it brighter, correct? Your only options are either to use a coating leather paint (not dye, as you had already concluded) OR rub it down (or drench it) in bleach and/or acetone and re-dye later.

The latter is risky and will most certainly not leave to with a perfectly even color. It might very well ruin the jacket too. I've taken all the black out of leather using bleach before, leaving it a "dirty natural" beige but I haven't tried to dye it afterward. Was going to use the leather for my SL gloves when I get around to it. If you have access to an airbrush or fine spray gun/battle you can always "mist" on bleach, let it work for a few minutes and then immediately wash it off in cool water, but again... it's a bit of a risk and you'd be experimenting with the knowledge that you might ruin it completely. Also, you'd have to buff the leather afterwards with a shine agent of some kind because the solvents will leave the leather dull.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back