The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Hydrodipping for the win

20150326_171210_zpshhk8jepy.jpg

I only wet leather when I am molding. Use a sponge that is damp, add some dye to it, start applying to the leather in even strokes across the leather. If you want a true even look use a bath and just dip the leather into the bath. Allow it to dry thoroughly and apply a wax sealer. Use antiquing leather dye if you are going for that age look. It applies nicely and the more you rub it the more antique the look.

I only wet leather when I am molding. Use a sponge that is damp, add some dye to it, start applying to the leather in even strokes across the leather. If you want a true even look use a bath and just dip the leather into the bath. Allow it to dry thoroughly and apply a wax sealer. Use antiquing leather dye if you are going for that age look. It applies nicely and the more you rub it the more antique the look.

Great tip ;) thanks I will have to try that this weekend

Another good thing. If you are hand stitching make your stitch holes first, stain, then stitch. The same that goes with the wet molding. Wet mold first and stain. With the water based dyes you will loose a little bit of your wet molding because the water soaks into the leather and leaves the dye behind. As the water evaporates the dyes remains behind but your original mold shape may loose some detail. For the leather holster pads dye first and than apply the glue and templates behind it. That way you get a nice even color.

Or just get pre-dyed/treated leather and all your problems go away!!!!!

I just like to dye my own leather because you can mix colors, weather/age the look, and so on.

Did you guys ever notice this? . . .

20150317_225722.jpg

Check out those sleeves/cuffs!

Do you think these are the cuffs for this shirt or part of the jacket?
20150317_225229.jpg

Can anyone confirm? I always thought maybe this shirt was short sleeved and the other one without the mesh panels was the long sleeved, but now I'm thinking maybe they both have long sleeves and the cuffs are black with this rubberized detail, possibly some velcro involved.

Thoughts?

It's not part of the jacket, it has a grey poly lining in the sleeves. It does look like some kind of logo, anybody recognize it?

- - - Updated - - -

Also in regard to forming the leather, all of the formed leather on the jackets and the holster pads is garment leather, not veg tanned. They didn't wet mold anything.

Anyone else think the quad blaster might be modled on, or inspired by the old 80s Lazer Tag Starlytes by World's of Wonder? Maybe cut off the handle and hollow out the second one, flip it upside down and attach it to the first to make the second barrel?

Could be be a sneaky cool 80s homage, and would have been the right timing for Quill on Earth. Circa 1986.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the new jacket on EBay fromthebestjackets? It's leather
and fabric, with screen printing and fairly accurate details. Anyone get
this yet? I'm curious as to quality.

Did you guys ever notice this? . . .

Check out those sleeves/cuffs!

Thoughts?

I actually noticed that back when I did my jacket, because I made sure that the inside of my jacket cuffs had raw leather edges like in that image. But the black thing is not part of the shirt:
cuff.jpg

Looking at the way it behaves/moves, independently of the jacket, as well as taking into account how deep you can see into the sleeves it can't be part of that either. My guess is that it's a stand-in arm/hand for that shot only and not actually Chris Pratt. In other words, a simple continuity error.

Hey all! I'm as green as they come and I'm trying to figure out how to go about lighting up my mask's eyes. After a bit of research I've come up with the following.

I'm looking at using some 5M LED strips (Not sure if I should go with red or white) using 22awg wire connected to a female 12V DC power plug jack adapter. From there I can either plug it into the wall with a 12V adapter (I'd like to have it on display on my dresser) or a 12V 1800mAh Li-po battery pack for when I'm wearing the helmet.

As for the lenses, I'm either a bit lost. Some pictures show the lenses as being red, and others show them as being clear. For red I would go with a red acrylic clipboard and cut out the lenses. From there I'm not too sure out to get the pattern on the lenses. Maybe scratch then fill in the clevises with black ink/paint? I may have to double up on the clipboard lenses to have the LEDs shine in from the sides.

To finish it off, I was thinking of using mirror tint film to prevent my eyes from being visible when I wear the mask.

Any blatant issues with my plan so far?

Last edited:
Has anyone here ordered this:

galaxy-leather-jacket-for-men-500x500.jpg

...the style of jacket used in the 3rd act of the film from America Suits?

I am seriously considering it but would like to know about the quality and if their sizing runs true before ordering one.

Has anyone got a good photo of the fabric used on the zipper? This is the best I've got :( want to cut off the metal one currently on it.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427880931.315862.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back