TDK Build from Mexico (Lots of pics!)

Napjr

Hey guys! Napjr here!

Ive been a lurker for a couple of years now, reading and getting reference photos from many talented artists around here.

I Live in Guadalajara, and after a bussiness trip to SLC on 2012, where i got the Rubies Dark Knight costume (the printed spandex, not muscle), i decided to make a full suit using that as template

Started with the basics, i got eventually a Rubies mask, the adult belt (two to get a better fit), Gotham 100s boots, and started working with foamies sheets

Using some templates from here, i started to make the chest armor with mixed results as you can see. I found also a generic mesh i wrapped around the spandex suit, but honestly, everything wasnt looking that good

01.jpg02.jpg05.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

Eventually i was able to buy a fiberglass chest armor from someone in my country for about $250 usd. Basically it was an armored jacket made to size (think of the UD Replicas, but without all the mobility, all rigid), with some questionable choices for detail... the good parts anyway, were the chest, shoulders, abdomen, gauntlets (although if they were at least 20% bigger they would be optimal for my height, im 6´5"). Back piece and bicep armor not included

06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg

With these pieces, i decided to remove the chest armor and make it a separate piece, unfortunately there was alot of left over residue, but its hidden once worn anyway. Everything was made with foam sheets, faux leather and eventually glued to a better mesh suit (two pieces like the UD replicas)

09.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg
14.jpg15.jpg

I started to make a better cowl, first with a Pepakura model, duct tape and epoxy clay. The end result wasnt that good, so i dropped it for time constraints

16.jpg18.jpg21.jpg23.jpg

Found some decent leather gloves locally wich i simply added the missing details, glued with a glue gun

24.jpg

And this is how it looked on november 2013

25.jpg26.jpg27.jpg

Last year, on december, i went to a local comic convention, with the suit as i was able to finish on that time. Ended up using the Rubies mask, and the cape, although had a Winged pattern, it was really short, but it was fun anyway. Here one random pic of that event

28.jpg

Last edited:
Now. i wasnt satisfied with several details, so i decided to invest a little bit more and make improvements

On March i bought a cheap urethane cowl from ebay, with some minor air bubbles here and there, but overall, pretty nice

I cut the collar bone since it was too long

29.JPG

Here you can see how the chest attaches to the whole armor, Velcro but its easier to put
30.JPG

A shot of the back
31.JPG

Since i was able to get a riveter machine, i found a better way to attach the cape, magnetic buttons!

32.JPG

Also, i riveted the back armor, just to prevent any piece from falling
33.JPG

Heres a pic of my modified Rubies belt, with extra pouches for my cellphone, keys, camera... etc, those are hidden with the cape anyway. I know the attachment should be different, but no one looks at the back :p

34.JPG35.JPG

The cod piece, with a zipper and a cord that attaches to the back of the pants. A better solution, would be two zippers and magnetic buttons like the UD Replica pants, but so far so good

36.JPG

I might redo the pants in the future, several pieces are too rigid for enough mobility, so sitting down or crouching is next to imposible :(

The new cape, nothing fancy, just functional, no real V cut on the back but looked nice, and long
37.JPG

And the new duct tape mannequin
38.JPG

Next. new worn pics taken yesterday at a local Con!

Turned out great, especially the second time around. There's nothing quite like the feeling of empowerment experienced while wearing a well made batsuit. Well done :thumbsup

Dude, exceptional work and very impressive use of materials. Your suit looks fantastic. I've been wanting to post my current Batsuit build, I just have to gather the courage to do so. Great job man.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back