Game of Thrones resin kit...a little help please!! :)

msmuse101

Hi!

Stupid questions ahead, do apologise.

Just had a resin kit arrive from America, a beautiful mould of one of the baby dragons from Game of Thrones.

He's on the big side and in several pieces and the fit on the joints isn't perfect as expected. He needs a damn good sand but after that I'm not sure of the best way to stick home together. I reckon with the weight of the limbs and how long his wings and tail are he's probably going to need pegging with some wire but I'm not sure what to use as filler... I have some milliput kickin about but one forum I've been on says that dries too hard. Another I checked out recommended squadron green putty but another suggested that it reacts badly with resin over time... Regardless I'm really not sure now.

How would you guys tackle this, any ideas? The gaps are going to be sizeable and I'll need to texture them after it's been applied. Any advice would be grand!

I would Glue and pin all parts together, use super glue and try the squadron white it is less aggressive and it is much finer than the green. If you can get you hands on some Mr Thinners
use that to clean up the putty with out sanding the detail away.

I use 1/8 brass rod for pining my smaller resin kits

I hope this helps

Muzza hit it on the head. Pinning is a must for these resin dragons to add strength. Easiest way to do this is draw a line down the center of the area, then draw a perpendicular line in the approx. center of the first. You should now have the approx. center point for that joint. Repeat the process on the part, then drill your holes. Test fit the pieces w/ the pin before gluing to ensure the parts line up. Adjust as necessary.

Before gluing, I like to rough up the areas where the glue will go. For this, I use the back of an Exacto knife to scribe in a cross hatch pattern on the section to be glued. Do this on both sides, then add some super glue or epoxy to the pin holes, slide the pin into place, then add glue to the larger surface areas. Slide them together and viola! :) For recreating the texture and detail, I would recommend Aves Epoxy Putty. I've been using this for years on resin kits and have had no bad reactions or cracking. The putty holds sculpted detail very well, and if you're careful w/ the application, you won't need to sand the joint. Highly recommend the use of their safety solvent. It's non toxic and works wonders when blending edges.

Hope this helps, and happy modeling!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back